Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 10-20-2008, 10:24 AM
My Family!

What's our nation consist of?

Excluding anything thing else that the conservatives have brought up about Obama, should this statement alone cause concern? Have we ever been exclusively Christian?

Barack Obama made the statement with pride. . ."we are no longer a Christian nation; we are now a nation of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, . . ."
Old 10-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: What's our nation consist of?

If he's a Christian does he not realize that acceptance of any other faith is anti-Christ. Regardless of the country does he not have his personal relationship with Jesus Christ. And how could he lead a nation against that?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Excluding anything thing else that the conservatives have brought up about Obama, should this statement alone cause concern? Have we ever been exclusively Christian?

Barack Obama made the statement with pride. . ."we are no longer a Christian nation; we are now a nation of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, . . ."
I can't speak for his motives, but sadly, it is the truth.

Maybe it isn't as diverse as he claims it to be, but it is headed that way & has been for some time!

Same story in Canada.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

While we were founded on some Christian priciples we've always been polytheistic. Pluralism is now more overt and obvious.

- Groucho Marx
Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedDave View Post
While we were founded on some Christian priciples we've always been polytheistic. Pluralism is now more overt and obvious.
There was a "Christian" or "religious" influence at the founding of this country.
But, stop and think, can a nation that is built upon ethnic cleansing and genocide be considered a "Christian nation?" And, if this is a "Christian nation" what happens to those who are Muslim, Jewish, New Age or whatever? Should they not have a voice?

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Solid 3 Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
There was a "Christian" or "religious" influence at the founding of this country.
But, stop and think, can a nation that is built upon ethnic cleansing and genocide be considered a "Christian nation?" And, if this is a "Christian nation" what happens to those who are Muslim, Jewish, New Age or whatever? Should they not have a voice?
Boy oh Boy did the white Christian man try to cleans this nation of the Native Americans!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I don't believe in a Christian nation from legislation but from regeneration. If and when a majority of a country are believers then they can have a Christian nation. In that case people with heathen faiths should have to adapt their lifestyle or maybe they should find a place to live where their worldview would be espoused.

- Groucho Marx
Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't believe in a Christian nation from legislation but from regeneration. If and when a majority of a country are believers then they can have a Christian nation. In that case people with heathen faiths should have to adapt their lifestyle or maybe they should find a place to live where their worldview would be espoused.
There isn't a shred of biblical mandate for a "Christian nation", but rather a "Christian" (or Christlike) Church. The Church is a called out body among the nations....to "Christianize" our nation would be like trying to put lip stick and a dress on a hog.

Our nation has always been a nation of different ethnicities, religious persuasions etc. As a matter of fact...our founders wanted a nation based on LIBERTY of individual conscience and freedom of religion...not a "Christian nation".

True Christianity flurishes best where people are free.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipas View Post
There isn't a shred of biblical mandate for a "Christian nation", but rather a "Christian" (or Christlike) Church. The Church is a called out body among the nations....to "Christianize" our nation would be like trying to put lip stick and a dress on a hog.

Our nation has always been a nation of different ethnicities, religious persuasions etc. As a matter of fact...our founders wanted a nation based on LIBERTY of individual conscience and freedom of religion...not a "Christian nation".

True Christianity flurishes best where people are free.
While I agree that there is not a command for a Christian nation there are commands to make disciples and we are to apply scriptural principles to ALL areas of life....and that includes government. The Bible is comprehensive and so is the gospel.

- Groucho Marx
Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
While I agree that there is not a command for a Christian nation there are commands to make disciples and we are to apply scriptural principles to ALL areas of life....and that includes government. The Bible is comprehensive and so is the gospel.
Actually, early Christians were admonished to live peaceably even with the oppresive Roman government.

Personally, I believe a truly "Christian" nation would uphold the integrity of individual liberties...even perhaps some liberties that most Christians might find offensive.

Liberty itself is holy...even men use said liberty to commit sin.