Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Saved & Shaved

Helping the homeless and the hungry

Do you feed the needy when they approach you and ask for a handout? Monday afternoon I decided to browse a christian bookstore. Before my entry, I was approached by a man and his wife. By all appearances they were homeless and hungry. They were dirty and gaunt. The man asked if I had any money to spare. "My wife is hungry, sir." I replied "I do not carry any cash. I do carry my (credit) card. If you'd like, I will pay for your meal," as I pointed to the pizza establishment adjacent to the bookstore. The man looked to his wife. She shook her head no. The man said,"I'm sorry to bother you, sir." And they turned away.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Re: Helping the homeless and the hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Do you feed the needy when they approach you and ask for a handout? Monday afternoon I decided to browse a christian bookstore. Before my entry, I was approached by a man and his wife. By all appearances they were homeless and hungry. They were dirty and gaunt. The man asked if I had any money to spare. "My wife is hungry, sir." I replied "I do not carry any cash. I do carry my (credit) card. If you'd like, I will pay for your meal," as I pointed to the pizza establishment adjacent to the bookstore. The man looked to his wife. She shook her head no. The man said,"I'm sorry to bother you, sir." And they turned away.
I guess she wasn't hungry for pizza.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:

I've fed people many times this way and never had anyone turn me down. I'm sure it will though, eventually. My son gets aggravated at me because I'll spend WAY more money on food for people that ask for help, than I will for him.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Pro 19:17 He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
Pro 19:17 He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.
I have a note in the margin of my Bible at that passage that says:

"If you help a poor person in the name of the Lord, you are making a gift and at the same time granting a loan. You are making a gift because you have no expectation of being reimbursed by that poor person. You are granting a loan because the Lord will settle the account." St Basil the Great 9329-379).

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

It is my opinion that we have an obligation to feed the poor. We serve/minister to Jesus when we serve/minister to people. That is my understanding of passages like Matthew 25:31-46; James 1:26-27; 2:14-17; 1 John 3:16-18

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 09-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

True story. Stopped late one night at Walgreens to get a toy for my dog (yes, I spoil her). A disheveled man was hanging around the outside door. Asked me if I could buy some Depends for his mother. Took me inside, went straight to them and said he left the house without enough money. I bought them for him, kept the receipt, and said goodnight. Not sure if he really needed them or not, but it was the strangest "people asking for money/things" experience I have had.

Back to the question, I try my best to. I figure I would blow whatever money I give them anyway, might as well help them out. Sure, they might go spend it on booze, but I cannot be sure of that. I would rather give them the benefit of the doubt.

Unfortunately, it is not purely altruistic on my part. Makes me feel good about myself.

Last edited by Twisp; 09-16-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I used to have people ask me for 6 or 7 dollars to buy pampers. After awhile I realized they weren't buying pampers. Now I rarely give money to people on the street, but I probably do more to feed the hungry and house the poor than I used to.

Our church invests well over $1000 dollars a month to feed the needy through our food pantry.

My wife and I have had a series of homeless people live with us in the past five years we have been in Springfield. In fact, Sunday I'll be baptizing yet another one.

One couple that was living with us are now like children to us.

There was a time when my wife and I had a 200 room hotel where we ran a transitional project for homeless families and almost all of them were drug addicts. A great time in the Lord.
www.newhopeministryresources.org
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Our policy is that we meet people's needs (whatever they declare), if possible, but never give them cash. If they need gas, we'll put gas in their vehicle or container; if they need food, we'll buy them some. You can also help them locate resources, like missions, homeless shelters or places that will help them find work. If that's unacceptable, then they may not be as needy as they appear--but I do believe we should respond kindly to those who are in need.

Not that we would never make an exception, if we felt it was legit. We have given money a few times.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road

Last edited by MissBrattified; 09-16-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
mary

I've tried, but been turned down many times. One man with a 'hungry-will work for food sign' even turned down flat the fresh Panera's that I offered him!

I knew a couple that made a living this way. So I don't give on the streets generally. But I keep some supplies on hand for those with legitimate needs, when possible.