Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckstadt View Post
More protection is being used because of Aides. More Abortions is lowering the number. More gays are coming out and the crowd is growing in numbers.

2 people working in a marriage these days.

More Ladies are going to college and having life long careers.

The list could go on and on...
I think you're right. These are all valid reasons for why women are having fewer babies.

But here's another view. For many years, I watched people who really had no idea what "family values" means. Some were married with a couple of kids. But they spent no time together as a family. Others were in and out of relationships and marriages as often as some change their underwear. Their lives revolved around themselves. It was all about "me", not "we" (that was true in both kinds of situations)

Now we've changed churches (3 years ago) and have been involved with people who have much stronger family values than I have seen in any church in years. Family is everything (right behind love for God). And guess what - in our church, the vast majority of our families have 4 or 5 kids. And rarely does the wife work outside of the home.

So maybe a big part of the birth decline has to do with the decline in our value of family.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
ZeroedIn

Maybe there is just less hanky panky?

We have 3 kids in our house! It sure is a lot of fun, always something exciting going on. They(the kids) bring us much joy!!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
I think you're right. These are all valid reasons for why women are having fewer babies.

But here's another view. For many years, I watched people who really had no idea what "family values" means. Some were married with a couple of kids. But they spent no time together as a family. Others were in and out of relationships and marriages as often as some change their underwear. Their lives revolved around themselves. It was all about "me", not "we" (that was true in both kinds of situations)

Now we've changed churches (3 years ago) and have been involved with people who have much stronger family values than I have seen in any church in years. Family is everything (right behind love for God). And guess what - in our church, the vast majority of our families have 4 or 5 kids. And rarely does the wife work outside of the home.

So maybe a big part of the birth decline has to do with the decline in our value of family.
I think you nailed it Margie!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I think you nailed it Margie!
Ron, I've actually been thinking this for quite a while now. I know that I've heard more teaching/preaching on the importance and value of family at this church than I have ever heard in any church I've ever attended. Not that family - or anything else - takes priority over God. But God is seriously the only thing that is valued more than family here.

As a result, not only do we have many families with larger numbers, but we also have people involved in things like Pro-Life clinics, Foster Parenting, homeschooling, etc.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Ron, I've actually been thinking this for quite a while now. I know that I've heard more teaching/preaching on the importance and value of family at this church than I have ever heard in any church I've ever attended. Not that family - or anything else - takes priority over God. But God is seriously the only thing that is valued more than family here.

As a result, not only do we have many families with larger numbers, but we also have people involved in things like Pro-Life clinics, Foster Parenting, homeschooling, etc.
This is a good thing. So often in society both in the Us & Canada we see the family unit being under attack, under valued, & irrelevant.

It is good to know that families are valued.