Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

St. Patrick

Tuesday March 17 is St. Patrick's Day. It is usually observed by wearing green, drinking green beer, and eating corned beef and cabbage. Here in good old German Catholic Cincinnati we have a parade the weekend before St. Patrick's day but I've never gone down town to see it. We even have a Church in Cincinnati named after St. Patrick. It's just a few blocks from a German Church named after St. Boniface. I came across a biography of St. Patrick a few years ago and thought I would pass it on again this year. There are a lot of stories about the person we call St. Patrick and they happened so long ago it is hard to separate truth from legend. So I don't know how accurate this account is but it sounds like St. Paddy was quite a guy.
-----------------------

PATRICK'S CHILDHOOD

Patrick was born of Christian parents toward the close of the fourth century. His father, Calpurnius, though of British race was by birth a Roman citizen, and held the rank, Decurion. The father and grandfather of Calpurnias, Potitus and Odissus, had both been Christians; so the family had kept the faith for at least several generations.

Conchessa, Patrick's mother, was a near relative of the great St. Martin of Tours. She was a wise and good woman, and sought to bring up their children in the fear and love of God.

As the son of a Roman Citizen, and a British noble, Patrick was bound to have had some education. According to the custom of British citizens of the Roman Empire, Patrick was given three names, rendered in Latin as Patricius, Magonus, Sacatus. Patricius meaning, 'Noble', and Sacatus, a Celtic word meaning, 'Valiant in war'.

The fact that St. Patrick worked great and wonderful miracles is beyond question, and those miracles won him enthusiastic admiration and enduring love of the people.

Miracles happened even over the birth of St. Patrick. As no priest was to be found, the infant was taken to the blind hermit, Gornias, to be baptized. A difficulty arose because there was no water to perform the ceremony. Gornias, however by faith, took the baby's hand and with it traced the sign of the cross upon the earth, and as a result, water gushed forth. Bathing his own eyes the hermit saw, and he then baptized Patrick.

From his childhood he had been able to understand the things of God. Patrick, in the Book of Epistles, said, "And God had pity on my youth and ignorance, and He took care of me before I knew Him, and before I could distinguish between good and evil. And He strengthened me and comforted me as a father does his son. "

MIRACLES

Once when Patrick was minding sheep with his little sister, Lupita, she tripped and fell, striking her head against a stone. Her brother was some distance away, but when he returned and found her lying unconscious, he prayed over her and raised her up. The wound was instantly healed, and the girl recovered. The scar remained visible, as a proof of the miracle. The children returned home together as if nothing had happened.

On one occasion when the Britons had a meeting, his foster-parents took him along with them. While they were there his foster-father suddenly collapsed and died. At first, a great hush fell upon the assembly, and then the man's relatives began to weep, and his wife cried, and calling to Patrick, she said, "My boy, why have you allowed the man who has been so kind to you to die?"

Patrick had been playing with the other children, and had not noticed at first the distress of the people. But seeing what had happened, he ran to his foster-father, and putting his arm round the dead man's neck, he said affectionately; "Get up and let us go home."

The man arose at once, and full of life, he returned home with his wife and boys.

SOLD AS A SLAVE

When Patrick was sixteen years old the Picts and Scots began to raid the coast, plunder and take hostages. One of the most victorious of these 'sea kings' was Niall, surnamed, "Of the Nine Hostages" (because he took hostages from nine places). It was during one of Niall's raids that Patrick was taken hostage one day, along with a maidservant, his sister, Lupita, and some other companions.

He was taken by ship to Ireland, somewhere along the coast of Antrim and sold as a slave to a petty king, Milcho. He was put in charge of a herd of swine and so spent most time out in the fields. But it was there that God was made real to him, and as he said later, his eyes were opened to see his unbelief, and he was truly converted. All the scripture which he learned as a child flooded his mind and heart and he decided then that somehow he would become a servant of God.

Milcho was so impressed with Patrick that he asked him to teach his children to read, but Milcho was a druid and opposed to Christianity, which was spreading across Ireland.

VICTOR, THE ANGEL SPEAKS TO PATRICK

Patrick had many conversations with the angel of Ireland, named Victor.

One night after six years, he heard a voice, the angel, Victor, who said, "Soon you will return to your country." A while later the same voice spoke to him again; "Your ship is ready." He managed to escape, trusting God and made his way to the coast. After a few days he found a ship ready to sail, and after some hassles he was taken on board.

Eventually Patrick after months of journeying, arrived home. His parents had died but his relatives welcomed him.

One night he was awakened by the same angel, Victor whom he had known in Ireland. He was standing beside Patrick's bed holding many letters in his hand, He selected one and handed it to Patrick. It read, "The Voice of the Irish." Then he heard many voices calling to him to come back to Ireland and bring the message of the Gospel.

PATRICK RETURNS TO IRELAND FOR GOD.

Finally God provided a way for Patrick to return to Ireland in 432 A.D.

So the ministry to the Irish began, not without opposition from the druids and wizards who tried desperately to keep Patrick away from the kings, for they had prophesied of his coming. Patrick believed that if the kings could be won for God, then the people would follow.

THE OPPOSITION OF THE DRUIDS AND THE KING OF TARA

One of the first spiritual battles between Patrick and the Druids was fought at the Hill of Tara, in 433 A.D.

The High King, Laeghaire (Leary), son of the renowned Niall of the Nine Hostages, had invited the sub-kings and nobles and bards to a lavish festival. It was to start with great bonfires, but until those fires were lit by the druids, it was forbidden for other fires to be seen.

King Laeghaire, in his efforts to hold his power over the lower kings had given himself to the power of the wizards, and skillful magicians and Druidic priests along with their idols.

Lochru and Lucat-Mael were his chief wizards, and being false prophet s they had foretold that "An evil teacher would come from over the sea to their land: That a multitude would receive him, and that he would find love and reverence from the men of Ireland, He would cast out from their realms the evil kings and lords, and would destroy all the idols. The worship established by him, would abide in the land forever."

No doubt the druids knew of the progress of Christianity in Britain and Europe. Their brethren abroad had been discredited and they were afraid of the same fate. They were very much afraid of losing their influence and authority.

Patrick leaving the friendly hospitality of Dichu, sailed southward and arrived at Inver Colptha, the mouth of the river Boyne. They followed the course of the stream, for about 12 miles until they came to the hill of Slane, where Patrick proposed to celebrate Easter.

While they rested there on the hill, they saw the magnificent view beneath of the river Boyne; to the north, far away were the purple mountains of Mourne, and to the south lay the beautiful hills of Wicklow. Against this background, about 10 miles away, stood the royal hill of Tara. The roofs of the palaces were shining in the setting sun.

When the sun had set, Patrick prepared to begin the celebration of the Resurrection of Christ. It was the first time the paschal fire was lit, never to be extinguished in the land.

Hardly were the Christian torches seen to blaze, when the attention of the High King was drawn to the scene. The whole of Mag Breg, (the Beautiful Plain), was illuminated by the fires, while Tara was still in darkness.

Angrily the King called his attendants and told them to find out who had dared to light the fires, and break the law he had made for the occasion of the festivals of Beltane and Samhain.

The wizards told King Laeghaire that there was no need to send messengers to Slane for they knew what the fires were. "We see the fire," they said, "And we know that unless it is quenched on the night in which it is made, it will not be quenched for ever. The man who kindled it, will vanquish the kings and lords of Ireland, unless he is forbidden."

"This shall not be!" cried the king, "but we will go down and kill this man who made the fires."

to be continued in part 2
Old 03-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: St. Patrick

continued from part 1

The horses were hastily made ready.

Meanwhile on the hill of Slane, Patrick had begun with the others the celebration of the Easter festival, singing and worshiping God.

It was late when nine chariots, bearing the king and queen with two chief Druids, and a number of nobles came thundering toward Slane. The wizards began to fear that the king might fail by taking a hasty action. As they drew toward the Christians, the druid wizards spoke to King Laeghaire, "You should be careful," they cautioned the king, "Not to go down to the place where the fire was made, and give any respect to the man who kindled the fire. Stay outside and have him brought out to you, so that he will know that you are the king, and he is the subject." The king was flattered and agreed.

They drove to the place called, "The Graves of Fiacc's Men," and they unyoked the horses. The king and his nobles sat in solemn state, and the warriors stood with their shields erect in front of them. In the light of the fires they looked very fierce. The king forbade anyone to rise to greet Patrick or any of his company, (contrary to the custom of the Irish). A messenger was sent to fetch Patrick.

Soon a bright procession appeared descending the hill. As Patrick advanced, all eyes were fixed on him. Calmly he sang as he approached the king, "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will call upon the Name of the Lord our God."

As Patrick's clear strong voice resounded, a feeling of awe filled the minds of the warriors. One man. Erc, the son of Deg, rose to greet Patrick. By grace, in a moment, he believed in God, and Patrick blessed him. Later on he was baptized and eventually became the first bishop of Slane. And Patrick prophesied to him, "Your city on earth will be high and noble."

After a "formal" greeting between Laeghaire and Patrick, the wizard Lochru attacked him angrily with contention and shouting. He became malicious and hostile, and even violent, blaspheming the Holy Trinity. Patrick's anger was roused and he called upon God, "O Lord, Who can do all things. And on Whose power everything depends. You have sent us here to preach Your Name to the heathen. Now let this ungodly man, who blasphemes your Name, be lifted up and let him die."

No sooner had Patrick finished speaking than a supernatural force raised the wizard in the air. He fell heavily down, his head striking a stone. And so he died in the presence of those assembled.

The heathen seeing their own subdued, and realizing that Patrick had more powers than the druids, were greatly affected.

But the king was enraged at the fate of Lochru, on whom he had greatly depended. He then wanted to take the life of Patrick. "Slay this man," he cried to his guards.

But Patrick stood firmly in his place. With flashing eyes and resonant voice he said, "Let God arise and His enemies be scattered. Let them that hate Him, flee from before His face! As smoke vanishes, so let them vanish away: as wax melts before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God."

By this time the sun had begun to rise and the morning splendor bathed the earth. But at the words of Patrick, darkness crept back over the sky and the ground shook with an earthquake.

The swords and spears of the warriors clashed against their shields and it seemed to them that sky was falling down, and there was no hope of escape from impending destruction. The frightened horses galloped away in wild confusion, and the wind blew so fiercely that the chariots were moved.

Because of the confusion and fear, the warriors began to fight among themselves, and some were killed. Realizing their mistake, they fled leaving only three people with King Laeghaire and Queen Angas.

The king remained sullen and silent but the queen rose and approached Patrick. She spoke to him with respect. "Just and mighty man," she said, "Do not destroy the king. He will come to you and he will do your will and he will kneel and believe in your God," Her influence
prevailed and because the events of the past few hours had shaken him, the king kneeled before Patrick, offering peace. It was a false gesture, designed to allow him to avoid the present situation.

Laehaire designed a plan in his mind to try and kill Patrick on the way to his castle. "Follow after me, to my castle, Cleric," said the wily king, "And at Tara I may believe in your God in the presence of the men of Ireland."

Patrick consented and Laeghire gave orders to his servant that an ambush should be set on several paths between Slane to Tara. The chariots were yoked once more by the attendant who had now returned, and the royal party set out back to the palace. They were very weary and discouraged after their disastrous night with Patrick

Patrick and his company continued the interrupted Easter Day celebration with hearts full of gratitude to God. Then Patrick selected his companions and blessed them before setting out for Tara. There were eight young clerics, including Patrick, and the boy, Benignus, who never left Patrick's side. They had ten miles to walk, "But God covered them with a cloak of darkness," so that they could not be seen. God had revealed to Patrick the evil design of the king.

The servants as they watched saw only eight deer and a fawn (Benignus). It was after this that Patrick wrote his famous hymn, "The Deer's Cry," in which he gave God praise and expressed his firm belief in the Resurrection, the Incarnation and, Death and Ascension of Christ. He declared glory to God, who was his defense against the wiles of the devil and against all forms of superstition and idolatry; ending with an appeal to Christ to be with him always and speak to him through every creature.

The battle between Patrick and King Laeghaire and his evil magicians continued over the next few days, after the great feasts at the castle in Tara. At the end of the feast, the king arranged a competition between the wizard, Lucaet-mael, and Patrick. After many demonstrations on the part of both men, Lucaet-mael was killled and Patrick came off victor. The king and many of his subjects became Christians and Patrick went away with permission to evangelize Ireland.

He spent the year (433A.D.) preaching the Gospel, winning the sub-kings and nobles over to the Christian faith, and consequently the people. He constantly managed to escape from those who wanted to kill him, and gave demonstrations of the power God, with great miracles everywhere.

His prayers were powerful because his humility was great. He healed the sick, delivered the oppressed, and raised the dead

When Patrick came to Dublina (Dublin) which was then a small village, he prophesied how great that small village would someday become. He also caused a fountain to spring up there. It happened that in the region nearby, the young son of the king lay dead in his chamber. The sorrow over his death was compounded when it was learned that his sister, who had gone to bathe in the neighboring river, had drowned in midstream. Her body was finally found resting on the riverbed, and was laid out beside that of her brother. Tombs were prepared for both according to pagan custom.

At this sorrowful time the rumor spread that Patrick of Ardmachia (Armagh), who in the Name of the Unknown God had raised many that were dead, had arrived in the village. The king, Alphimus, promised that he, his nobles, and the whole "city" would be baptized into the new faith if his two children were restored. Patrick, seeing the opportunity for a great gain of souls, raised them both to life. By the physical resurrection of the prince and princess, the spiritual resurrection of the whole area from the darkness of paganism and idolatry was accomplished.

Many of the Celtic Saints, because of their close relationship to God, knew when they were going to die, and would make arrangement to go to the place which they felt was for their resurrection. In Patrick's case he felt that he should die in Armagh, a place he was deeply attached to. He started to make arrangements to get there, but the angel Victor forbade him saying, "It is not there that your resurrection is granted to you, go back to the place from which you came, namely Dichu's Barn. But God has granted that your name shall be known and your teaching shall be in Armagh, as if you were still alive in it." So it has been since that time.

Patrick returned to Saul, to Dichu's Barn, on Strangford Lough, where he had made his first celebration in Ireland. He gave thanks to God, received Holy Communion from Bishop Tassach and then gave up his spirit to God. The Tripartite Life sums up Patrick's life in the following words:

"Now after founding churches in plenty; after consecrating monasteries, after baptizing the people of Ireland; after great patience and labor; after destroying idols, and rebuking kings who did not do the will of God; after ordaining three hundred and seventy Bishops, and three thousand priests, ministers and laymen; after fasting and prayer; after mercy and clemency; after love of God and his neighbor, he gave up his spirit to God." It is said that for the twelve nights of his funeral rites, an angelic radiance was seen around his body

Before he died, on 17th march, 471 A.D., Patrick made this confession:

"If I ever accomplished anything good, for the sake of my God, Whom I love, I ask Him to grant that I can shed my blood with the strangers and captives for His Name's Sake. If I, Patrick the sinner, have done any small thing according to the will of God, I attribute it to the
gift of God alone. And this is my confession before I die." .
Old 03-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL

In honor of St Patrick I have changed my page to green. I will also wear green on the 17th.

I love the Irish. =)

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

As a Chimney sweep and a firefighter, I prefer the Patron Saint Florian. http://www.saintflorian.net/

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Perhaps the most important function of St Patrick's day is the classic parade.
Where else would countless people being pursued by the authorities for crimes they didn't commit or by the mob find a place to escape then by quickly donning a green shirt and blending into the crowd?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

U KNOW I LOVE THE IRISH!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2
Rom.8:38,39-For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither heigth nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to seperate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I AM the VOICE of REASON and SANITY around here!

I am now on FB and on the AFF's on FB!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Wink Re: St. Patrick

No,no you have the wrong saint.....

Since I'm Finnish I take great pride in the fact that today is St Urho Day.

A few finns in Mpls "created" a patron saint for Finland as a response to the more widely spread celebration of St Pat.

It's hysterical....just google St Urho.

It's TODAY*****are you wearing purple?

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

more about St. Paddy

The Apostle to Ireland

Most people don’t know St. Patrick had a vibrant charismatic faith that blazed across Ireland in the fifth century.
Hidden within a small cemetery adjacent to Down Cathedral in Downpatrick, Northern Ireland, is the final resting place of Ireland's patron saint. At first glance it is quite unremarkable, identifiable only by the large granite rock atop it with the single inscription: "Patrick." Here in quiet simplicity lie the earthly remains of the slave boy who rose from the ruins of captivity to become the apostle to the Irish. He shaped the destiny of a nation that would change the entire European continent.

Like grass growing over a long-unused path, time has concealed the trace of his footsteps, and little is remembered of this remarkable man of God even though the date of his death, March 17, is celebrated worldwide as St. Patrick's Day.

Much of what happens at the celebrations has little to do with Patrick himself. Green beer and parades, no matter how well-intentioned, do not reflect his life and legacy. However, his writings—particularly his Confession and his Letter to the Soldiers of Coroticus—provide us with an accurate picture of his life.

Patrick was born into the volatile world of the late fourth century. The Roman Empire was beginning to collapse, and there was great upheaval.

Trouble began in A.D. 376 when the Huns forced huge numbers of Goths across the Danube River into Roman territory. In A.D. 406 and 407, the Vandals spilled across the Rhine, plundering Gaul and Spain, and in A.D. 409, they forced the last Roman legions to leave Britain. In the following year, Rome itself was sacked.

Convulsions continued until A.D. 476, when the Western Empire disappeared and Europe was plunged into the Dark Ages.

Beyond the dying empire lay Ireland. The inhabitants were, to the Roman mind, as dangerous and unpredictable as the terrain. But it was this land of menacing beauty that God chose to ignite and to spread the flame of renewal across the ravaged lands of Europe, using Patrick as His vessel.

Born of Roman nobility, Patrick lived on an estate at Bannavem Taburniae—possibly in the Severn Estuary near Bristol. With the gradual departure of the Roman legions, the unprotected coastal regions were targeted by the Irish, who plundered and kidnapped at will, and around A.D. 400 Patrick was taken. He wrote in his Confessions: "When I was aged about 16, I knew not the One True God. I was captured and brought to Ireland with many thousands of people."

His comment suggests that there was an invasion. It was a brutal experience. People were caught, beaten, chained and brought back as slaves.

Patrick's last memory of his homeland may have been of burning, smoke and the anguished cries of those wrenched from home and loved ones. His privileged upbringing left him unprepared for a hard life as a slave.

Celtic Ireland was thoroughly pagan at that time, controlled by superstition and omens. Its gods and goddesses were the material of horror stories. This tribal society was ruled by warriors in a place of forests and bogs, far removed from the cultured life Patrick had known.

Differences in language added to his loneliness and isolation. A slave's existence was so austere that life expectancy was little more than 30 years. A fitted iron collar made runaways easy to identify, and those recaptured faced certain death.

Many became bitter and full of self-pity. But Patrick responded differently. He acknowledged that God had allowed his trial for a higher good, and tiny shafts of light began to pierce the darkness.

He wrote: "We had turned from God, not keeping His laws nor heeding His servants who declared to us His salvation. It was the Lord's doing that He might reveal to me my unbelief that I should turn from my sins and be converted."

Patrick was sold to Miliuc, a chieftain of the region of Mount Slemish, County Antrim, where for six years he tended sheep and pigs. On the unforgiving mountain slopes and foothills God began working in the young slave.

He recalled: "Praying throughout each day, the love and fear of God increased within me and my faith was strengthened. And being moved in Spirit upon the mountains and in the woods, I prayed up to one hundred times in the day and as much at night. Arising to pray a great while before day, whether in snow or frost or rain, I experienced no ill effects or laziness as the Spirit was strong within me then."

Slemish became the anvil upon which this man of God was fashioned. Hidden in the Irish hills, strengthened in suffering, praying almost half a million prayers by the end of his captivity, Patrick was molded by God.

In captivity, Patrick developed inner strength and intimacy with God. After six years, he heard a voice in his sleep, "Your ship is ready." He journeyed 200 miles to Wexford and found a ship sailing to Gaul. As a fugitive he was in mortal danger but testified, "I was afraid of nothing." At first he was refused passage aboard the ship, but after praying he was suddenly summoned and invited to board.

Three days later the ship and passengers reached Amorica (Brittany). An invasion by the Vandals on New Year's night A.D. 407 had left the area desolate. With no food, the group journeyed inland for 28 days in danger of starvation.

The ship's captain challenged Patrick: "Answer me this, Christian, you tell us your God is great and all powerful, why will you not pray for us? We perish from hunger and may see no living soul again."

This was a public test of his faith. Would the God he claimed to serve show Himself and answer prayer?

Well done is better than well said. Patrick responded, "Boldly I told them, 'Turn to the Lord my God with your whole heart, for with Him nothing is impossible, that today He may supply you with more than enough food for your journey for He has ample store everywhere.' And so with God's aid it came to pass; at once a herd of swine appeared before us right in front of our eyes. Killing many, they camped two nights regaining their strength. Even their dogs which had become weak and lifeless were satisfied."

to be continued in Part 2
Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

continued from part 1

Pursuing God's Plan

When Patrick returned to Britain, his family pleaded with him not to leave them again. But he received a night vision of a man who seemed to be calling him back to Ireland.

"His name was Victoricus as if he were coming from Ireland with innumerable letters," Patrick wrote. "He passed one to me, and I read the beginning of the letter, which said: 'The voice of the Irish.' As I read those words, I perceived that I heard their words at the same time—they were of those beside the Wood of Voclut, beside the Western Sea.

"Their cry was with one voice, 'Holy Boy, we ask you to come and walk among us again.' Thank God after many years He granted their request."

This was Patrick's Macedonian call. Two similar experiences followed, leaving Him with a difficult choice: to obey God and return to the land of his captivity, never to see his family again, or to remain in Britain and forsake the call of God.

Remembering that disobedience in his youth had cost him his freedom, Patrick decided to leave. He traveled to the continent and trained for holy orders. Several sites have been suggested as the place he studied—Gaul, Italy, Lerins (now St. Honorat, just off Cannes and Monaco) and Auxierre, 100 miles east of Orleans, from which he departed for his Irish mission.

In A.D. 431 Bishop Germanus, Patrick's superior at Auxierre, planned to send a bishop to Ireland. Patrick hoped he would be chosen—but he was rejected for two reasons: First, he was considered too rustic (his captivity at 16 had affected his education and social skills), and second, he had confessed to a friend a serious sin he committed at 15 (possibly that of killing someone).

The news of his rejection was devastating. More than 20 years had passed since Patrick had left Ireland, and nothing had dimmed his passion to return as God's messenger.

It seemed a mortal blow. Had he not had the divine visitations? Had he not left his family for this? He wrote, "On that day I was struck so that I might have fallen, now and for eternity."

But Patrick submitted, and a man named Palladius was sent instead. Not long afterward, Palladius died, and Germanus reluctantly sent Patrick to replace him. His arrival in Ireland opened the door to one of the finest chapters in Christian history.

In A.D. 432 Patrick landed at Strangford Lough, near Downpatrick, Northern Ireland, and began to target influential people. His first convert was a chieftain named Dichu who gave Patrick a barn as his first church in Saul. Today a beautiful stone church stands on the site, and those who visit tell of the deep peace and presence of God that abides there.

Patrick faced perils daily. "Every day I anticipate the prospect of being killed, cheated, or enslavement, but I am not afraid of any of these things because of His promises," he wrote.

Tempted to return to Britain, he continued to persevere: "Even if it were my wish to depart and return to Britain, for how much I have desired to see my country and my parents ... the Spirit binds me and testifies ... that I would be wrong to leave, for I fear losing the fruits of my labour, or rather Christ's, who beckoned me come and remain with them to the end of my days."

Love for his flock, obedience to the call and a sense of eternal reward were guiding principles for Patrick, who was convinced that greater riches than the treasures of earth awaited him. He remained faithful until death parted him from his harvest field on March 17, A.D. 461.

Biographers from the seventh to the 12th century embellished Patrick's story with fantastic tales of supernatural encounters. Much of what they wrote is exaggerated, but we should not altogether reject the idea that manifestations of divine power attended Patrick's ministry. Ireland was dominated by the Druids, who influenced the population through occultic power, superstition and fear, and it is unlikely that the Irish would have forsaken the old ways in favor of their new faith unless the power of it could be proved.

By the time of his death, Patrick had laid the foundation of Christianity in pagan Ireland with the conversion and baptism of many thousands of men and women, in a land of only a half-million people. In the following centuries, Irish missionaries swarmed like bees over the European continent, spreading the gospel and establishing monasteries as centers of worship and learning during the "golden age" of Celtic Christianity. From the seed of Patrick's life sprang forests of Christianity in the barren soils of Europe.
Kevin Sambrook and his wife, Rosemary, are pastors of Covenant Love Church in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and directors of Rhema Restoration Ministries

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship