Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Garden Path
Facebook

Notices

The Garden Path For the Green Thumbs among us, share your gardening secrets here!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Re: Corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
Suckers or tillers are new growth at the bottom of the plant. We don't bother to remove them any more and it doesn't seem to have done any harm. Our non-Gmo heirloom sweet corn is as sweet as any GMO corn and can be eaten right off the stalk raw.

We don't use petroleum based nitrogen fertilizers. We grow in very nutrient dense soil amended by lots of compost and manure. Corn is a very heavy feeder and needs great soil. We use manure tea to fertilize during growth. We don't spray and use Cotton Patch Geese for weeding and pick off ear worms by hand.

While not certified organic we follow organic methods. Do some studying about GMOs and seriously consider planting a good heirloom variety for the home garden and maybe even try doing some of your own seed saving year to year as good heirlooms are getting harder to find.

The paper bag thing... I put little paper bags (the kind that hold a single soda) over the ears just as the silks are emerging... Once they are ready to be fertilized I use our own tassels and hand fertilize to be sure our corn does not cross pollinate with any GMO corn via wind or insects and to ensure good kernel development. It may be a total waste of time but I still do it... but I also now save the time I used to pull the suckers since I didn't see any difference in the corn produced in quality or quantity by that process.

Good luck with your corn patch!
I agree with you on saving seeds, I buy heirlooms and save.

I have quite a few okra and purple hull.

Do you know how long seeds will last?
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
I agree with you on saving seeds, I buy heirlooms and save.

I have quite a few okra and purple hull.

Do you know how long seeds will last?

Years if kept properly. We proof every year... If we get low germination rates we plant whether we want that veggie or not and save fresh seeds.

If you like heirloom okra, have you seen Bakers?

http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/okra/
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

I bought seed vaults online also...of heirloom seeds. They are sealed and will keep many years! I have herbs, and sprouts too.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Weird thing happening this year with corn, the top is making a cob minus the shuck. Anyone else experiencing this? Size is about 2-3 inches.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.