Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Banned

Re: How do evangelists get paid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
3. And concerning the Apostles and Prophets, act thus according to the ordinance of the Gospel.
4. Let every Apostle who comes to you be received as the Lord,
5. But let him not stay more than one day, or if need be a second as well; but if he stay three days, he is a false prophet.
6. And when an Apostle goes forth let him accept nothing but bread till he reach his night's lodging; but if he ask for money, he is a false prophet.

12. But whosoever shall say in a spirit "Give me money, or something else," you shall not listen to him; but if he tell you to give on behalf of others in want, let none judge him.

1. Let everyone who "comes in the Name of the Lord" be received; but when you have tested him you shall know him, for you shall have understanding of true and false.
2. If he who comes is a traveller, help him as much as you can, but he shall not remain with you more than two days, or, if need be, three.
3. And if he wishes to settle among you and has a craft, let him work for his bread.
4. But if he has no craft provide for him according to your understanding, so that no man shall live among you in idleness because he is a Christian.
5. But if he will not do so, he is making traffic of Christ; beware of such.

-The Didache
The Didache? Uninspired and not authoritative. Also, I doubt any of us would stand by every word of it.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post

I’ve always pondered, how do evangelists (circuit preachers) get paid?

Does the hosting pastor offer an amount? Per service? Per hour?
If people get saved?

Does the evangelist have a set rate? Or is it based on offerings collected during the revival?

The world's greatest Evangelist was a tent maker.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
The Didache? Uninspired and not authoritative. Also, I doubt any of us would stand by every word of it.
Don't worry, the post wasn't for you.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, a church is free to book the man or not.
Only if they can afford the retainer. What part of that is hard to understand?

Quote:
These evangelists often have to fly, stay in hotels, or they have a truck and mobile home. It costs money to travel. So much money, I haven't been able to afford a decent vacation in 10 years. These guys often travel vacation style all year round, every year. And, because of that, many don't have jobs or careers. They must find a way to live and sustain their families on whatever they make speaking. That includes the travel, vehicles, mobile accommodations, educational curriculum for kids, health insurance for the family, etc. It's not cheap. And the more popular an evangelist is, the more people want to book him. That boils down to a higher cost, and perhaps yes, even a retainer.
The expenses should be covered, no question.

If an Evangelist is in demand and is booked, he won't need to charge as much to be able to pay his bills and live off what he receives in offerings. There's no need for a $5K retainer + offerings if he's booked. That's just being greedy.

Quote:
I think the real rip off is extortion under threat of hell imposed by pastors regarding the tithe. Maybe if they had more faith in their anointing, they could live on free will offerings and attract the crowds.
Yes, I get you hate Pastors. This isn't about the awful, terrible, no good, fake Pastors about whom you always complain.

Quote:
Ultimately, I see these evangelist as God's motivational speakers.
Alrighty then. No need for "Sinner's in the Hands of an Angry God" when what you want is "Your Best Life Now."
Old 09-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Only if they can afford the retainer. What part of that is hard to understand?

The expenses should be covered, no question.

If an Evangelist is in demand and is booked, he won't need to charge as much to be able to pay his bills and live off what he receives in offerings. There's no need for a $5K retainer + offerings if he's booked. That's just being greedy.

Yes, I get you hate Pastors. This isn't about the awful, terrible, no good, fake Pastors about whom you always complain.

Alrighty then. No need for "Sinner's in the Hands of an Angry God" when what you want is "Your Best Life Now."
I do see your point. I'm just saying that market forces make any popular speaker's time and services far more expensive. The retainer thing makes sense if they are extremely popular. Because if you book him and cancel, that's time he could have booked with others. You've now taken away from his opportunities. By charging a retainer, he locks you in because you put money behind it. He can now plan his calendar with some assurance.

Last edited by Aquila; 09-13-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
3. And concerning the Apostles and Prophets, act thus according to the ordinance of the Gospel.
4. Let every Apostle who comes to you be received as the Lord,
5. But let him not stay more than one day, or if need be a second as well; but if he stay three days, he is a false prophet.
6. And when an Apostle goes forth let him accept nothing but bread till he reach his night's lodging; but if he ask for money, he is a false prophet.

12. But whosoever shall say in a spirit "Give me money, or something else," you shall not listen to him; but if he tell you to give on behalf of others in want, let none judge him.

1. Let everyone who "comes in the Name of the Lord" be received; but when you have tested him you shall know him, for you shall have understanding of true and false.
2. If he who comes is a traveller, help him as much as you can, but he shall not remain with you more than two days, or, if need be, three.
3. And if he wishes to settle among you and has a craft, let him work for his bread.
4. But if he has no craft provide for him according to your understanding, so that no man shall live among you in idleness because he is a Christian.
5. But if he will not do so, he is making traffic of Christ; beware of such.

-The Didache
Odd
Old 09-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Banned

Why are we referring to the Didache on this thread?
Old 09-13-2018, 02:45 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBukaroo View Post
Why are we referring to the Didache on this thread?
Because I quoted it's statements about traveling preachers and how they get paid? I dunno, that might be the reason?

Either that or you slipped into an alternate timeline?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

I don’t agree with the Didache. I doubt Paul stayed only a day or 2.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Because I quoted it's statements about traveling preachers and how they get paid? I dunno, that might be the reason?

Either that or you slipped into an alternate timeline?
It is not authoritative in the least bit.
You might as well had been quoting from, "The Shack."