Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: Women Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by derAlte View Post
Job 38:3
Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

Job 40:7
Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.

The interpretation is that these Scriptures imply that only men girded up their loins. Pants on a woman cause her to do something only men were supposed to do.
I don't believe pants on a woman is the same thing as "gird up thy loins" in those verses.

The phrase "gird up thy loins" refers to men readying their tunic/robe for battle. They would tie them up in a way which would allow them to move, run etc.

Again, just as in Deut 22:5, this is a reference to a man in battle or the garment worn in battle.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
How do you see this primary meaning as speaking to the issue of women wearing pants today? Does it have any relevance?
I don't believe, in general, that woman wearing a bifurcated garment is committing sin. I do believe that a woman trying to assume the role of a man or acting as a man (and vice versa) is committing sin.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
While I appreciate your view, "hayah" will still have to be explained.

You don't "become" a man by wearing pants, i.e., Laura Bush for example.
You just explained it perfectly.

"You don't "become" a man by wearing pants" ... ie Deuteronomy 22:5 cannot be the verse of reference in prohibiting pants on a woman.

The verse is speaking of the attitude and motive behind wearing a bifurcated garment. It's a woman trying to "become" or "be" a warrior by putting on a man's armor. It's a man trying to "become" or "be" a woman with effeminacy.

Men are to be men and women are to be women. Women simply wearing women's pants, designed for women, does not make the her a man.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:06 PM
HO x 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Women chopping their hair, than started wearing pants..... now look at our world they are totally trying to erase the difference in men and women.
The source of all the worlds problems
John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I don't believe pants on a woman is the same thing as "gird up thy loins" in those verses.

The phrase "gird up thy loins" refers to men readying their tunic/robe for battle. They would tie them up in a way which would allow them to move, run etc.

Again, just as in Deut 22:5, this is a reference to a man in battle or the garment worn in battle.
Also, the loins were not always "girded up" on a man. So was he wearing a woman's garment until it was "girded"? There is a scripture , and I cant remember where , that tells the Israelites to gird up loins and flee. So was there an exception this once so the women would not be in sin???
Old 06-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I have always found it interesting that the definition for the word “wear”, in Deut. 22:5, is different than all the other definitions for “wear” in the OT. It is also interesting that this particular definition is used only once in the OT, only in Deut 22:5.

I have never had anyone adequately explain that to me. The definition appears to have a more intense meaning.

◄ 1961. hayah ►
Brown-Driver-Briggs
הָיָה3570 verb fall out, come to pass, become, be (SI1; SI6 היה, ib3 הית; parallel form of הוה, Arabic , Aramaic הֲוָא, ; see הָוָה above) —
what does "a more intense meaning" mean?
Old 06-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Gender distinction. God saw 2019 world of transgenders and tried to nip it in the bud 4000 years ago. What ever culture, country, creed, generation, dont wear the opposite sex's clothes.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:43 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
what does "a more intense meaning" mean?
Simply because the other definitions concerning the word "wear" mean to "put on a garment" as in Deut. 22:11. Deut 22:5 appears to take the action much further.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
You just explained it perfectly.

"You don't "become" a man by wearing pants" ... ie Deuteronomy 22:5 cannot be the verse of reference in prohibiting pants on a woman.

The verse is speaking of the attitude and motive behind wearing a bifurcated garment. It's a woman trying to "become" or "be" a warrior by putting on a man's armor. It's a man trying to "become" or "be" a woman with effeminacy.

Men are to be men and women are to be women. Women simply wearing women's pants, designed for women, does not make the her a man.
You use the word "geber" as only meaning a warrior, but it also is defined as simply a "man". It can mean a warrior like man - a man of strength.

In Proverbs, for instance, "A wise MAN is strong."

The passage doesn't make sense to attribute the definition to a soldier as it also speaks of a man wearing a woman's apparel.

To "become" or "exist as" seems to imply either - the woman is already there in her mind and plays that out dressing like a man, or the clothing may possibly move her toward that end.

I tend to settle with the first idea as 95% to 98% of women do not become Lesbians because they are wearing pants.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBandy View Post
Also, the loins were not always "girded up" on a man. So was he wearing a woman's garment until it was "girded"? There is a scripture , and I cant remember where , that tells the Israelites to gird up loins and flee. So was there an exception this once so the women would not be in sin???
Exodus 12:11 (regarding the Passover) "And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD'S passover."