Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station
Facebook

Notices

The Information Station A help forum with answers to frequently asked questions - includes our Forum Rules and updates or announcements from the Admin Team.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Not riding the train

Re: New "common core" curriculum in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
There needs to be a way to standardize the education systems in our country so that the regional deifferences in education levels and results are not so vast.

I mean, does anyone on here really think that the public schools in New York or Massachussetts are on par with the public schools in South Carolina, Texas, or New Mexico?

Or how about West Virginia schools vs Washington State?

Something should be done, but like with every good idea, the "consquences" associated with the good idea tends to be what derails the good that would come from a good idea if properly executed.
There is already a standardized educational system in our country. Every state has an Educational Scope and Sequence that is required.

Here is the pdf for the Texas educational system:

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/sfmo/fmcurrguidees.pdf

When you have school choice, you follow the scope and sequence recommended by your state. You are then able to choose which curriculum would best suit your student.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Not riding the train

Ben Swann Exposes Common Core Standards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrpjiywhSQU
Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Not riding the train

How States and School Districts Can Opt Out of Common Core
Dr. Sandra Stotsky
Mar 7, 2014

States that want to opt out of the Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS) and/or the tests aligned to or based on its standards are being threatened by a toothless tiger that doesn’t want the states to know the tiger has no claws.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...medium=twitter
Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
There is already a standardized educational system in our country. Every state has an Educational Scope and Sequence that is required.

Here is the pdf for the Texas educational system:

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/sfmo/fmcurrguidees.pdf

When you have school choice, you follow the scope and sequence recommended by your state. You are then able to choose which curriculum would best suit your student.

You just proved my point.

Do you honestly believe the public schools in "X" inner-city to be on par with the public schools in "X" very prosperous county?

Do you think the public schools in Texas or New Mexico are on par with the public schools in Maryland or Rhode Island?

I didn't even try to compare Mississippi to any other state...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

For the sake of the future of our country, states should be forced to spend more money on educating their children and youth, or as a country, we should find a different way to fund our schools-- of course, we're not just talking about money, we're talking day-to-day operations, teaching techniques, and curriculae.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
You just proved my point.

Do you honestly believe the public schools in "X" inner-city to be on par with the public schools in "X" very prosperous county?

Do you think the public schools in Texas or New Mexico are on par with the public schools in Maryland or Rhode Island?

I didn't even try to compare Mississippi to any other state...
I know that when I homeschooled, I was using Saxon Math. My daughter wanted to attend public school (which we allowed her to do) and they were using the same program.

At home, we finished the lessons in one hour or less. In public school, they had a 45 or 50 minute class, and she was bringing home the same math to do at home. How does that happen? What do they do for 45 minutes? How was she able to understand the instructions and complete the lessons at home, but didn't understand after 45 or 50 minutes of whatever they were doing in the public school system? It seems a huge waste of time to me.

There is no excuse for any public school to be behind when you already know what needs to be learned. Everyone knows what is required on a Scope and Sequence. What are they doing with the children that is not allowing them to be educated?

Why are black high school students behind the white kids in middle school? Why are not black leaders crying out about this? It makes me mad and I am not black. Educated people make better citizens and they make better neighbors and it gives every life dignity.

Why are the successful charter schools being axed by Mayor DeBlasio? I'm with one of the parents when she said, "How dare you, Mayor DeBlasio! How dare you!" He is in bed with the progressive union leaders and this current Administration.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
For the sake of the future of our country, states should be forced to spend more money on educating their children and youth, or as a country, we should find a different way to fund our schools-- of course, we're not just talking about money, we're talking day-to-day operations, teaching techniques, and curriculae.
More money has proved to be a failure. You don't need more money. You need competition.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobSauceda View Post
Any thoughts on this?
my (childless) thots there are, "if you are not home-schooling your children, you must hate them."

wadr, don't be surprised when they come to hate you.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:37 AM
On the road less traveled

Now the SAT and ACT tests are being designed to comply with the Common Core standards. What this means, is that anyone who homeschools their children, or any private school who does not comply, will find that their children will not be able to pass the SAT/ACT tests, and will not be able to enter colleges/universities.

This is the "back door" method of introducing this humanistic style of teaching to everyone, homeschooled/private/public schools. If higher education is the goal for a child, then Common Core will have to be taught, for anyone to receive further education beyond high school.

This is basically coming through the back door, instead of the front door, to insist that all schools, state-wide comply with the Common Core curriculum. It is a sad day for America for education to come to this!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
More money has proved to be a failure. You don't need more money. You need competition.
There are many things wrong with the educational system. Educators are realizing that "surprise surprise" all children are not equal. All are not alike. Each child is unique. This is why homeschooling and private schools have been found to be superior in helping children who once were struggling in mainstream public schools.

I read an article in the Reader's Digest recently and it can be found here. http://www.salon.com/2013/08/26/scho...ging_our_kids/ The article is called "School is a Prison."

I think that trying to fit every child into exactly the same mold is what is at the heart of the problem of the public school education system today.