Facebook

Notices

Missions Area Reports and photos from Missionaries

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
what's up with the missionary from south America that's getting his funds and support pulled as well as his statis as a missionary ??

I know that there are some conservative ministers that are quite upset about it .

I don't know why this is taking place - does anyone know why ???
Has anyone stated why this has happened?? Was he bad??
Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
Did you live in the house of sticks, or brick... err wrong story.

LOL! Truly .... I had no real idea of what was involved with foreign missions. I didn't know much about the FM program even though we had missionaries come through and we supported them as PIMs. I'm a little naive at times I guess.

The first 9 months we were in HK we stayed in another missionary's (not UPC) apartment - they were home on furlough. That was right in the heart of Kowloon.

The next place we lived in was in a residential housing project just outside of Yuen Long built by all people....the Royal Bank of Canada! The house we lived in was 3 levels with a front and back yard. The third level was a large bedroom and ensuite bathroom. They were called Garden Houses and kind of Spanish design I guess. Like I said we were given the privilege (by the owner) of decorating the house ..... everything from light fixtures to carpets, cupboard, everything. And we were paying only half of what the other missionaries were paying in Kowloon and on HK Island. We could see the border of China from the balcony off our bedroom.

The third home was even larger - we moved there so TB could be closer to the office where he worked (radio ministry outreach into China) during our 2nd term. It was large (multilevel) with spacious airy rooms and 3 baths, 2 car garage, etc. Beautiful! It had a fish pond in the front yard that we used to baptize more than once! Ha! That house was still less rent than other missionaries were paying and no more than we were paying after a couple rent hikes in the place we had been previous and it was so much larger.

After being there a couple of years they raised the rent to where we felt we couldn't conscientiously pay out that kind of money so we looked again ..... this time for a place right in Yuen Long since we had started a church there, had found a nice location for that including office space and so it would be so much closer and convenient.

This time we found an apartment - 5th floor of a highrise - again brand new. It was small - but the rent was very cheap and so we decided to move there. We had a total of 750 sq. ft.!! LOL! Much much less than we were used to but we felt the money we were saving was worth it. It was like a doll house and even in that small amount of space we had 3 bedrooms and two full baths.

So....... God was good to us and regard to the UPCI FM Dept. I have nothing bad to say. They were wonderful to us, churches here at home and the pastors were wonderful in the way they supported and helped us.

Deputation - both times - was fantastic. We met so many wonderful people and raised a LOT of money -- the most that had ever been raised up until that point in regard to project monies for China. It was a great experience and I wouldn't trade anything for all that we experienced and saw accomplished during our time involved in Missions with the UPC.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
I have a novel idea..........

Why don't the admin dept of the FMD raise money for their expenses, and let money sent to the missionaries go to the missionaries?

It seems to me that as the FMD is right now, the missionary is not just raising his support, but the admins salary also.
Do you really not see the difficulty of such an idea?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
The Southern Baptist missionaries don't have to travel and raise support do they?
Not like we do, no.

You know .... some missionaries enjoy deputation. We did. And we had 3 little kids. Our first time around mine were 3, 4 and 6. We have wonderful memories! A few bad ones..... lol ......but mostly it was great!

Of course we raised our budget the first time around in 7 months. That was back when you were averaging 6 services a week pretty much. There were weeks we were in church Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri., Sat. and twice on Sunday.

That changed though between our first deputation and the second. Second deputation we averaged 5 services a week overall. Regardless, we raised our budget 2nd time around in one year and over $150,000 in project money besides. It was a very good year!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
Not like we do, no.

You know .... some missionaries enjoy deputation. We did. And we had 3 little kids. Our first time around mine were 3, 4 and 6. We have wonderful memories! A few bad ones..... lol ......but mostly it was great!

Of course we raised our budget the first time around in 7 months. That was back when you were averaging 6 services a week pretty much. There were weeks we were in church Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri., Sat. and twice on Sunday.

That changed though between our first deputation and the second. Second deputation we averaged 5 services a week overall. Regardless, we raised our budget 2nd time around in one year and over $150,000 in project money besides. It was a very good year!

Felicity,

Just out of curiosity, what years were you Missionaries to Hong Kong?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Felicity,

Just out of curiosity, what years were you Missionaries to Hong Kong?
1980 - 88.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
Do you really not see the difficulty of such an idea?

I am sure it is not a viable solution. But it does seem unfair that some missionaries will have to come thousands of miles to raise money for their work, and then have to raise that extra 15% for the administration too. If the administration could show their needs in their quarterly Insite, maybe they would get some gifts that would begin to offset the 15% taken out.

I think the greatest need overall is communication from missionaries to the homeland.

Just trying to throw out solutions instead of just focusing on the problems
Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
Not like we do, no.

With people's schedules nowadays though, it's not uncommon to only get Sundays and Wednesdays filled. Churches just don't do offnight services much anymore. I have heard of missionaries that are now spending 18-24 months on deputation to go back for four years. I think it's really sad and they don't get to rest.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:39 PM
BringItOn

IF they are able to offer healthcare to missionarys in being such a great org why not offer Insurance to all its preachers.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Invisible Thad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
Has anyone stated why this has happened?? Was he bad??

I believe all the guns are pointing at bruce Howell right now.
the accusation is that this particular missionary wanted to
take an early retirement. instead they told him he was no
longer a missionary to avoid having to dole out his retirement
Closed Thread