Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Sept5SavedTeen Sept5SavedTeen is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,023
We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

Hey, since tamor started a thread about how excited she was to put up her xmas tree, I figured I'd start a thread about being excited to NOT put up an x-mas tree!
I saw that scripture in Jeremiah 10 around 2005 and I never looked back! This is my second xmas in an indep assembly that doesn't celebrate that holiday/holy day, and it is so liberating to me to not be at the UPC assembly where it was celebrated for the first few years I was saved and have to keep quiet!
In fact, it was last night that me and my sister were looking at our mutual church friends thru her facebook (I don't have one, so I look thru her's) and we saw a young married couple with a baby on the way, and I know that the wife was raised in a house that didn't celebrate xmas, but they had put up a tree and it stirred something in me. The grandchild of her parents will be in a home with that holiday/holy day and its symbols, and if I know the wife's parents, they're not intruding, they're probably just praying and beng patient, and I join with them, hoping that what they taught their daughter about xmas will not die with her, but will go on and pass to another generation.
Brethren, we're getting to a day where it's harder and harder to hold this truth up, commercialism is rampant these days and there is so much desire to give in, but I thank GOD for being called out of the darkness, into HIS light, and I know that if I touch not the unclean thing or learn the way of the heathen, I will stand before HIM one day and HE'll welcome me in!
I am so excited this holiday/holy day season to proclaim the Truth of GOD's Word, and I hope to hear from others on AFF who will be doing the same and what your feelings and experiences are concerning this holiday/holy day.

-Bro. Alex
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Steve Epley's Avatar
Steve Epley Steve Epley is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,903
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sept5SavedTeen View Post
Hey, since tamor started a thread about how excited she was to put up her xmas tree, I figured I'd start a thread about being excited to NOT put up an x-mas tree!
I saw that scripture in Jeremiah 10 around 2005 and I never looked back! This is my second xmas in an indep assembly that doesn't celebrate that holiday/holy day, and it is so liberating to me to not be at the UPC assembly where it was celebrated for the first few years I was saved and have to keep quiet!
In fact, it was last night that me and my sister were looking at our mutual church friends thru her facebook (I don't have one, so I look thru her's) and we saw a young married couple with a baby on the way, and I know that the wife was raised in a house that didn't celebrate xmas, but they had put up a tree and it stirred something in me. The grandchild of her parents will be in a home with that holiday/holy day and its symbols, and if I know the wife's parents, they're not intruding, they're probably just praying and beng patient, and I join with them, hoping that what they taught their daughter about xmas will not die with her, but will go on and pass to another generation.
Brethren, we're getting to a day where it's harder and harder to hold this truth up, commercialism is rampant these days and there is so much desire to give in, but I thank GOD for being called out of the darkness, into HIS light, and I know that if I touch not the unclean thing or learn the way of the heathen, I will stand before HIM one day and HE'll welcome me in!
I am so excited this holiday/holy day season to proclaim the Truth of GOD's Word, and I hope to hear from others on AFF who will be doing the same and what your feelings and experiences are concerning this holiday/holy day.

-Bro. Alex
This holiday will be our 33 together as husband and wife and we have never put up an Xmas tree and have no regrets.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Shawn Shawn is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 523
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

The apostolic church I went to years ago didn't celebrate Christmas the 'traditional way' most people do. According to Jeremiah 10. That was back in 95. I haven't traded gifts or put up decorations since. I was really suprised how many people here do...kinda caught me off gaurd.

I have a long way to go in my walk, but I'll give Jesus this day without all the 'festivities'. I'll still celebrate Christmas, and spend time and eat with family I just restrain from the rest. For some reason it's not hard for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Unvaxxed Pureblood too


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 38,512
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

Not only is xmas a pagan holiday it's Catholic. Just like the wedding ring.

In Jesus name

Brother Benincasa

www.OnTimeJournal.com
__________________
“Burn the Boats!!!” — Hernan Cortes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

How can one celebrate NOT putting up a Christmas tree?

-unless it is to prove a point to those who DO as in "Look me! Look at me NOT do this thing YOU do!"

There are a LOT of things (billions and trillions of things in fact) that I do "not" do that I could celebrate.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Sept5SavedTeen Sept5SavedTeen is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,023
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
How can one celebrate NOT putting up a Christmas tree?

-unless it is to prove a point to those who DO as in "Look me! Look at me NOT do this thing YOU do!"

There are a LOT of things (billions and trillions of things in fact) that I do "not" do that I could celebrate.
I celebrate the fact that I used to do this thing, but I do it no more, and I give glory to GOD for the light that HE shined my way!

-Bro. Alex
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Shawn Shawn is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 523
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

What does Santa Clause and Christmas trees, Have to do with Christmas. Give God the glory.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 PM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

Or lights or turkey or family get togethers..... Yet many are unwilling to give up the eating part.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Unvaxxed Pureblood too


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 38,512
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

Why not do Ramadan? Any other non-Biblical holidays out there that we could bring into Christianity?
__________________
“Burn the Boats!!!” — Hernan Cortes
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Shawn Shawn is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 523
Re: We're Not Putting X-Mas Trees Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Or lights or turkey or family get togethers..... Yet many are unwilling to give up the eating part.
Not a fan of the lights, but what's wrong with fellowship. What's the reason for the season.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
" Are Christmas Trees Pagan ? " Bishop1 The Library 64 12-04-2009 06:50 PM
Putting Feet To Faith stmatthew Fellowship Hall 1 07-15-2008 08:44 PM
Death to the Cedar trees!!! Ronzo Fellowship Hall 4 01-01-2008 10:13 PM
Putting Away Christmas! rgcraig Fellowship Hall 69 12-30-2007 02:34 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Barb
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.