Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-26-2021, 08:10 PM
diakonos's Avatar
diakonos diakonos is offline
New User


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Posts: 2,819
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Those who are born again have everlasting life, those who are not perish.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Annihilation?
__________________
“Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos.”
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-26-2021, 08:56 PM
shag shag is offline
.


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,449
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 God View Post
Heaven and hell are opposites and both are real. Judgement is what separates the two.
In light of John 3:16, does one perish in hell?
__________________
If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend. Therein is a drop of honey that catches his heart...
Abraham Lincoln


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-26-2021, 09:34 PM
Amanah's Avatar
Amanah Amanah is offline
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sebastian, FL
Posts: 8,455
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Annihilation?
Judeans had no concept of an immortal soul being eternally tormented until hellenization during the second temple period after the conquest of Alexander.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-26-2021, 09:37 PM
1 God 1 God is offline
Banned


 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 793
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
In light of John 3:16, does one perish in hell?
Not these folks.... 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-26-2021, 09:48 PM
Tithesmeister Tithesmeister is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,601
Re: What's your view on Hell?

It’s like this;


[19] There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
[20] And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
[21] And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
[22] And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
[23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
[24] And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-26-2021, 10:12 PM
Amanah's Avatar
Amanah Amanah is offline
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sebastian, FL
Posts: 8,455
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Parables are teaching tools, not literal.
Once dead you're dead until Rev 20 when the just are resurrected to eternal life and the unjust are resurrected to judgement and destruction.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-26-2021, 10:32 PM
coksiw coksiw is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,651
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
It’s like this;


[19] There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
[20] And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
[21] And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
[22] And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
[23] And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
[24] And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
But wait, there is more:
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that [would come] from thence. 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. - Luk 16:25-31 KJV


What if there is no hell and Jesus was just telling the story of the rich man many many years later after he died, already in the eternal judgment? like transporting us to the day he wakes up from his Sheol after the eternal judgment has taken place.

Let's look at some facts from the story:

The rich man died.
The rich man had relatives.
The rich man was aware his relatives were in another place, unaware, while he was tormented, at the same time.
The rich man's relatives had Moses' writings available.
The rich man thinks that the only way somebody can communicate with his relatives is if somebody rises from the dead and talk to them.

Therefore, we can see two different conditions: the rich man who died but it is aware of the condition of the relatives, and the relatives who have no clue (or don't believe) of that tormenting place, and have available to them Moses' writings, and can be communicated with if somebody rises from the dead, and therefore, we can imply that the relatives are not dead, but instead they are in the land of the living.

So, how can these two human conditions can be true at the same time, if there is not a real Hades? On one hand, we have somebody tormented unable to communicate with his relatives, and at the same time, on the other hand, relatives unaware of the situation, that are alive.

Jesus cannot be describing a transportation in time to the eternal judgment, because then the relatives would be also in the same condition, making Jesus's story a contradiction. Unless, of course, one believes that the eternal judgment is not really an event for the entirety of humanity at once, but an ongoing thing which allows for people being already resurrected, and eternally judged, and thrown into the lake of fire, while others are in the land of the living unaware. That would then take us to another discussion.

Last edited by coksiw; 12-26-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-26-2021, 10:54 PM
Tithesmeister Tithesmeister is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,601
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
But wait, there is more:
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that [would come] from thence. 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. - Luk 16:25-31 KJV


What if there is no hell and Jesus was just telling the story of the rich man many many years later after he died, already in the eternal judgment? like transporting us to the day he wakes up from his Sheol after the eternal judgment has taken place.

Let's look at some facts from the story:

The rich man died.
The rich man had relatives.
The rich man was aware his relatives were in another place, unaware, while he was tormented, at the same time.
The rich man's relatives had Moses' writings available.
The rich man thinks that the only way somebody can communicate with his relatives is if somebody rises from the dead and talk to them.

Therefore, we can see two different conditions: the rich man who died but it is aware of the condition of the relatives, and the relatives who have no clue (or don't believe) of that tormenting place, and have available to them Moses' writings, and can be communicated with if somebody rises from the dead, and therefore, we can imply that the relatives are not dead, but instead they are in the land of the living.

So, how can these two human conditions can be true at the same time, if there is not a real Hades? On one hand, we have somebody tormented unable to communicate with his relatives, and at the same time, on the other hand, relatives unaware of the situation, that are alive.

Jesus cannot be describing a transportation in time to the eternal judgment, because then the relatives would be also in the same condition, making Jesus's story a contradiction. Unless, of course, one believes that the eternal judgment is not really an event for the entirety of humanity at once, but an ongoing thing which allows for people being already resurrected, and eternally judged, and thrown into the lake of fire, while others are in the land of the living unaware. That would then take us to another discussion.
Brother,

I’m confused. I’ve read your post twice and it’s not making sense to me. In response to your “what if there is no hell” question. If there is no hell, how is the rich man “in hell being in torment”? If there is no hell, how is he in hell?

Is it me? Please explain.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-27-2021, 02:30 AM
votivesoul's Avatar
votivesoul votivesoul is offline
Administrator


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 5,249
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Share your view on hell please.
Simple:

Do whatever the Father commands you to do so that you avoid it at all costs.
__________________
For anyone devoted to His fear:

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-27-2021, 03:44 AM
Truthseeker's Avatar
Truthseeker Truthseeker is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,842
Re: What's your view on Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Simple:

Do whatever the Father commands you to do so that you avoid it at all costs.

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: And with all thy getting get understanding.
Proverbs 4:7 KJV

https://bible.com/bible/1/pro.4.7.KJV
__________________
Today pull up the little weeds,
The sinful thoughts subdue,
Or they will take the reins themselves
And someday master you. --Anon.


The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you view Dan A? RevDWW Fellowship Hall 116 09-10-2008 07:41 PM
Popular View of Hell Unknown in the OT crakjak Deep Waters 46 09-09-2008 11:16 PM
Our view of ourselves. Steve Epley Fellowship Hall 5 03-21-2007 11:19 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Amanah
- by Barb

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.