Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Music Room
Facebook

Notices

The Music Room Share your favorite music, or request song lyrics here.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
christian, contemporary, conviction, music, rap

Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Banned

Re: Contemporary Christian Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWine View Post
A-men I say to your list Holinessspk; I particularly like questions 3, 9, 10, and 11. Thank you for sharing that

I enjoy must and once had tons of music. But, I went through a time of spiritual house cleaning if you will; and I smashed tons of CDs. Some I had purchased just because I like one single song on the CD. I thought to myself, while only 1:12 songs is okay to listen to my money just supported 11 songs that are not okay to listen to. This may sound off-topic, but I believe that it has a lot to do with the topic of this thread/discussion. How many "Christian" singers say the name of Jesus in a song? How many "Christian" singers sing about the power in the name of Jesus? What about the blood? Now, I was listening to something some time ago and the person speaking made a statement was in answering the following question: What makes a song gospel? Their answer was that if it doesn't didn't mention the name or the blood it wasn't gospel.

There are some beats to music that I do not find appropriate for a Christian to listen to. I absolutely cringe when I hear "heavy-metal" and it is supposed to be a song that is uplifting God. That genre of music did not come from God, yet, some think it's okay. I would guesstimate that over 40% of the music a person bops to; is not because they are listening to the lyrics, but because the music (instruments) have evoked an emotion within them. I say ask yourself the question: What feelings do you have when listening to a song? How does your state of mind change?

For example: I love classical music, and was trained in classical violin. However, there are some classical songs that can take you from a happy state to a down right depression mood. Music is powerful and one must allow the Holy Ghost to lead and guide them or we can find ourselves taking in things that we are not even conscious of.
Your very welcome and by the way, many kudos to your post A lot of wisdom there.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

There have always been different opinions regarding music, and what is and is not holy.

Back in the day, 1920s I think, the Baptist church was in an uproar because a young man came into the church bringing his style and flavor of music with him.

They said he was "bringing Blues into the church."

That man was Thomas Dorsey, and the songs he wrote were Peace In the Valley and Precious Lord, Take My Hand.

These are songs we call "classics" today...hymns of the church, but they caused quite a stir back then.

I remember when the Apostolic church discovered 'Black Gospel'...by the reactions of some folks, you would have thought it was the end of the world as we know it.

I mean, it was just I've Got Confidence (Andrae' Crouch) and O Happy Day (Edwin Hawkins), for crying out loud, but what an uproar there was.

We are all different, and what moves me may not move you.

In my humble opinion, we need to quit nitpicking over every little detail, and just let people alone.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holinesspk View Post
The Crabbs
The Gaithers
The Ruppes

You know honestly I dont add all southern gospel, or black gospel or contemporary or anything into "christian". Some is, and some isnt. What genres are in my music collection? Oh goodness, lots. You could go fom Don Moen and Bob Fitts, to those horrid groups as mentioned above (lol), to Mississippi Mass Choir, to Jackson Masss Choir, to Mahalia Jackson, to Walt Mills, to Byron Cage, to SOME IBC (not all *shudder*), to Mark Condon, etc. I am more concerned with the music itself usually than who sings.

I have a filter for the music that goes into my collection. If somewhere along the way, this music gets stopped by a question in my personal filter, its thrown out. Here is my filter for music.

1. Is it mimicking the world?

2. Does it sound like the world?

2A. If the lyrics were taken away, could you tell if it was christian or not?

3. Who or what does it glorify?

4. Do the singers try to act like the world?

5. Do the singers make me cringe by their appearance and look like black sabbath or something?

6. Is the music pure?

7. Is the music straightforward (i.e. no hidden messaging)?

8. **Here is a personal one. Do the guy singers sound gay? LOL! (If they do, out the window it goes. UGH!)

9. Can I pray with this music playing?

10. More importantly can I break through to the Holy Ghost with this music playing?

11. Deep down, would I be embarrased and kinda turn down this music if the Lord walked in as it was playing?

12. Does this group playing the song also play worldly songs?

13. Does the message of the song bring praise to the Lord?

14. Does the music pump up my flesh with a beat or my soul with praise?

15. Does this music portray a message contrary to the doctrine I know to be true or the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

16. What is the background of the singer or group and does it bring glory to the Lord or not?

17. Does this song or CD or whatever pass the Philippians 4:8 test?

. . .
18. Does it make Timmy want to curl up in a fetal position?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
18. Does it make Timmy want to curl up in a fetal position?
lol....thats important for you isnt it?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I have a filter for the music that goes into my collection. If somewhere along the way, this music gets stopped by a question in my personal filter, its thrown out. Here is my filter for music.

5. Do the singers make me cringe by their appearance and look like black sabbath or something?

6. Is the music pure?

8. **Here is a personal one. Do the guy singers sound gay? LOL! (If they do, out the window it goes. UGH!)

10. More importantly can I break through to the Holy Ghost with this music playing?

11. Deep down, would I be embarrased and kinda turn down this music if the Lord walked in as it was playing?

15. Does this music portray a message contrary to the doctrine I know to be true or the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

16. What is the background of the singer or group and does it bring glory to the Lord or not?

And that gives you an idea. That may not be all of my personal guidelines for music, but it is the general idea. Music is powerful and as such we need to have protections in place when dealing with music.
1. I cannot think of very many christian songs that in there time weren't influenced by "the world". No style of Christian music was developed in a vaccum. There were "worldly" influences on even the most "godly" of songs.

2. There are "worldly" influences on every style of christian music. For further proof ask the bands which groups inspired them. Most will mention some non-christian bands. For the ones that mention only Christian bands, most of those christian bands which they mention are going to mention non-christian ones being their inspiration. So if you look at the inspiration of Christian bands, none are more than one or two bands removed from secular influence, which means secular music has influenced basically all christian music.

2A. It's only a style. I could probably find 10 songs without words and you couldn't tell me correctly which were christian and which were not...

3. I would think if something has Christian lyrics then it would be Christ getting glorified?

4. I doubt you listen to many songs by singers who fit the apostolic mold. Since everything else other than apostolic is "the world" then I doubt you follow #4.

5. Why does it matter how they look, as long as they aren't dressed showing alot of skin? God is not only glorified by Suits, Polo Shirts, and Christian T-Shirts. God can be glorified just as much by an emo, punk, gothic, or any other type of appearance as he can by Suits and Polo Shirts.

6. No music is pure. None is written in a vaccum. All music/musicians have been influenced by secular sources.

7. I assume you mean does it come out and say the words "praise God" instead of never mentioning God by name. God is glorified by "hidden messages" just as well as explicit ones.

8. LOL, what exactly does gay sound like when a person is singing? And how can you tell the difference between a guy sounding gay while singing and a guy with a naturally high and not so masculine voice while singing?

9. I have prayed to secular songs with cuss words in them before. It was some good praying too. And it was not in spite of the song that I was praying, but I was praying with the song.

10. I can't remember if I did pray in tongues that day time or not, but I know that I was sure close if I didn't and could have very easily.

11. Embarressment is usually caused by people claiming all the music that you listen to is ungodly. Not because it is, but because of the doubt it causes about that music. So then the person listening to such music isn't as certain about it as they once were. So the embarressment doesn't come from them knowing the music is wrong deep down, but from someone else saying it is .

12. What does it matter if they play "worldly" songs also. I don't think anyone has a problem with the national anthem... and that definately isn't christian... Now if they are singing songs about sex and drugs and then about God, that would be a problem. But I don't know of any Christain band that does this.

13. The Lord can be praised in many ways. Going to work and taking care of your family is one way God can be praised. No words even needed. The beauty of creation is a praise to God, and not one word even needs said by the mountains and oceans and stars to do this. There are many messages that bring praise to God besides "Praise God". Besides "Jesus died for you". A message of living life in a good way can also be a praise to God.

14. Because God can be praised by a variety of things... so just because something doesn't make you say "praise God" doesn't mean it isn't a praise to him.

15. This is a good reason

16. What does it matter what their background is? Would you listen to them if they used to do drugs? If not, doesn't God forgive?

17. The style is not what we would be thinking in any style of music. So if the song speaks of good things, then we can think on it

Last edited by jfrog; 11-17-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post

So if the song speaks of good things, then we can think on it
Yep.

That's the only criteria that the Bible gives us that would apply to music.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
8. LOL, what exactly does gay sound like when a person is singing? And how can you tell the difference between a guy sounding gay while singing and a guy with a naturally high and not so masculine voice while singing?
I know there all there is to know.... about the crying game!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

My own opinion (which in this case, is the correct one)

18. Any music with a tambourine is from satan himself.

Corollary:

Most UC's believe that any apostolic music MUST have a tambourine and that it is God's favorite instrument.

19. The sound of kids singing is usually an irritant

Exception:
During certain Pink Floyd songs or the last chorus of We Don't Need Another Hero by Tina Turner.

Corollary:

Most UC's feel that cute kids singing the classic kids songs is pure ambrosia for the ears.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Personally I view that music as ungodly, but let the Lord guide you there, not a bunch of goofy screen names on Apostate Fiends Forum. lol....

You may hit a different conclusion than all those brought up on here, I dunno. I doubt it, but just make sure to not let everyones opinions on here make that decision for you. Get your nose in the Word, and let the Lord guide you there.
Yes Jermyn, please let me know when you "get your nose in the Word" what scriptures you find to bolster holinesspk's argument...

Quote:
The Crabbs
The Gaithers
The Ruppes

You know honestly I dont add all southern gospel, or black gospel or contemporary or anything into "christian". Some is, and some isnt. What genres are in my music collection? Oh goodness, lots. You could go fom Don Moen and Bob Fitts, to those horrid groups as mentioned above (lol), to Mississippi Mass Choir, to Jackson Masss Choir, to Mahalia Jackson, to Walt Mills, to Byron Cage, to SOME IBC (not all *shudder*), to Mark Condon, etc. I am more concerned with the music itself usually than who sings.

6. Is the music pure?

And that gives you an idea. That may not be all of my personal guidelines for music, but it is the general idea. Music is powerful and as such we need to have protections in place when dealing with music.

Look who first used music, who probably understands the power in music more than anyone else in the universe under the Lord Himself. Thats right, satan. The former leader of worship in Heaven. The angel who apparently had built in musical instruments. I would say that satan understands music and how to use it for his benefit. Thats why I am so careful about music. The Deciever uses music as a weapon against the people of God and as such we need to be careful of music because music is power.
It's amazing, when I go through your list of requirements, I have had far more worshipful moments, and true moments with God while listening to Tobymac, Switchfoot or Audio Adrenaline, than I EVER have had listening to Mark Condon...

Why can't you just accept that it is a personal issue that differs from person to person, as to what inspires or moves them? You know one of the most profound moments I have had in relationship to music was a few years ago, at a point when I wasn't very close to God. I had dropped my daughter off at school and was driving along listening to a secular radio station. A song came by the group Lifehouse. At that time I had no idea that they had any kind of Christian background, and I was sitting in the parking lot listening to the lyrics and I started to cry. The lyrics spoke to me so deeply on a spiritual level. I was talking to my daughter later about it and she said "MOM, they are Christian".

I know they probably wouldn't qualify as "Christian" in your book, but if anything that they are doing is glorifying God or ministering, why would you be afraid of that?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
Music to slit your wrists by....
LOL....So says deadeye Thanks I needed the laugh got the blood flowing. (LOL...no pun intended).