Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Sister Alvear

Humility

Humility: The finest of all traits

By Rabbi Abraham J. Twerski

Some big thoughts about not acting so big

“The man, Moses, was exceedingly humble, more than any person on the face of the earth.”

Numbers 12:3

http://www.jewishworldreview.com | Of all the character traits of Moses, the Torah (Bible) cites only one: His humility. Of all the undesirable character traits a person may have, there is only one that repels the presence of G-d: Vanity (Arachin 15b). Here are several comments on the importance of humility.

Rebbe Yehoshua of Ostrova said that a vain person is even worse than a liar. ''A liar does not believe his own lies, whereas a vain person is convinced of his superiority.''

Rebbe Refael of Bershed said, ''Some people pursue acclaim and thrive on being honored. Little do they realize that in order to receive honor, you must actually lower yourself. One can only pour into a container when it is held lower.''

Rebbe Pinchas of Koritz said, ''Every sin requires some action or object. Vanity requires nothing. A person may be lying under blankets and think, 'How great I am.' ''

Rebbe Mendel of Kotzk said, ''A person who seeks recognition is much like a goat that wears a bell around its neck to announce its whereabouts.''

Chovos HaLevovos says, ''A person who is free of all sin is at risk of the greatest character defect: to consider himself a tzaddik [saint].''

A vain person came to see Rebbe Avraham the Malach (angel). He found him standing by the window, looking out. ''See that hill?'' he said. ''It is only a pile of earth, yet it stands high as if it were superior to others.''

In "Angels Don't Leave Footprints", I cited a number of ethicists who say that humility does not mean denying one's talents and abilities. Although Moses was the humblest of all people on earth, he knew that he had achieved a level of prophesy never attained by anyone else.

When Miriam and Aaron spoke critically of Moses, G-d reprimanded them: ''In my entire house, he (Moses) is the trusted one. Mouth to mouth do I speak to him, in a clear vision and not in riddles, at the image of G-d does he gaze. Why did you not fear to speak against My servant Moses?'' (Numbers 12:7-8) These verses, just like the entire Torah, were written by Moses. He knew his uniqueness, but it not detract from his humility.

Truly humble people shun acclaim. Rebbe Menachem Mendel of Lubavitch (Tzemach Tzedek) took his young son, Shmuel, with him on a journey. Shmuel wrote home about the throngs of people that had greeted his father and the great honor he had received. When the Tzemach Tzedek found the letter, he said to Shmuel, ''My blood was spilling like water, and this gave you pleasure?''

The Talmud says that the last eight verses in the Torah, which relate Moses' death, were written by Moses at G-d's dictation, and Moses cried as he wrote them (Bava Basra 15a). A chassidic master suggested that Moses was not crying because he was writing about his own death, but because G-d dictated, ''Never again has there arisen in Israel a prophet like Moses, whom G-d had known face to face'' (Deuteronomy 34:10). It gave Moses great pain to write this adulation about himself. It is quite simple to efface oneself before a great scholar. The greatness of Moses' humility was that he effaced himself before the lowliest person: ''Moses was exceedingly humble, more than any person on the face of the earth.''

As pointed out, humility is not a denial of one's capacity. Moses knew that he had the responsibility of leadership, and when implementation of authority was called for, he did not hesitate to assert himself. That is true humility.

Our ethical works emphasize the importance of humility, and provide instruction on how one can know one's personality strengths, yet avoid the objectionable trait of vanity. Studying the works of mussar (ethics) is of the utmost importance to enable one to avoid vanity while maintainng a healthy self-esteem.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Sister Alvear

Used this in a teaching lesson along with other things...thought we could all think about this today...Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit befor a fall says the Bible. Seen many a person brought down by their own pride... May God help us all to listen to the wise that have traveled over life's road.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

I really enjoyed that article. I think that when we've had a revelation of who God is - when we've seen Him - and then look at ourselves in relation with that pure holiness, righteousness, judgment, majesty and awesomeness that God is it's hard to think of ourselves in much of a positive light. But instead when we see ourselves in His light and we look at ourselves objectively and honestly we too can't help but cry as Isaiah did..... "Woe is me!!"

Some of the greatest men -- speaking in terms of true greatness -- are also the most humble. Moses was also a meek man and perhaps that's part of why he possessed such humility. The two characteristics often go together but they are not one and the same.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Sister Alvear

Sweet Friend, May God bless your insight.
Here are a few things I got together..notes...

THE POWER OF HUMILITY

poured water (KJV)

II Ki 3:11 But Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the LORD, that we may inquire of the LORD by him? And one of the king of Israel's servants answered and said, Here is Elisha the son of Shaphat, which poured water on the hands of Elijah. (KJV)

The account he gives of him is that it was he that poured water on the hands of Elijah, that is, he was his servant, and particularly attended him when he washed his hands. He that will be great, let him learn to minister: he that will rise high, let him begin low.
(from Matthew Henry's Commentary)
2 Kings 3:11

[Which poured water on the hands of Elijah]-- i. e., was his servant-- this being one of the common offices of a servant; for the custom is not to plunge one's hands into a basin, but to hold them out, so that a servant may pour water on the hands of his master. One who is the servant of a holy man, i. e., a priest or dervish, is, on this account, highly esteemed (Joseph Wolff's `Missionary Labours, ' p. 493).
(from Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary)

Humility is a strange quality; the claim that one possesses it is certain evidence that one does not!
Humility prepares us to serve others
Being prepared to serve others is the litmus test for genuine humility - especially when our service is not noticed or acclaimed. It is difficult for Christians to avoid the implications of Jesus' teaching that leadership involves service, and greatness involves even greater service. When James and John sought a place of honour in the Kingdom, Jesus gave the disciples a lesson saying that among the Gentiles, rulers lord it over their subjects, and those who are great act as tyrants. He told them, "it is not to be so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve and to give his life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:43-45).
HUMILITY

(c) Jesus not only strongly impressed His disciples with the need of humility, but was in Himself its supreme example. He described Himself as "meek and lowly (tapeinos) in heart" <Mt 11:29>. The first of the Beatitudes was to "the poor in spirit" <Mt 5:3>, and it was "the meek" who should "inherit the earth. Humility is the way to true greatness: he who should "humble himself as this little child" should be "the greatest in the kingdom of heaven"; "Whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted" <Mt 18:4; 23:12; Lk 14:11; 18:14>. To the humble mind truth is revealed <Mt 11:25; Lk 10:21>. Jesus set a touching example of humility in His washing His disciples' feet <Jn 13:1--17>.
(from International Standard Bible Encylopaedia, Electronic Database Copyright (C) 1996 by Biblesoft)
Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Traveling the Road of Infraction ......

Humility is best left to those of us that are pros.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Sister Alvear

It is interesting to note he was not remembered for any great work but because he poured water on the hands of his master...such humility...no wonder he was greatly used in ministry...
Old 12-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Da Evangelist

Good stuff
Old 12-01-2007, 04:33 AM
Sister Alvear

OH! to be like the one who taught us true humility...
I thought I would sleep without a problem we all are so tired on this journey back from the jungle but early this morning the Lord woke me up to pray for his lost world...
While I am waiting on the others to get up and around so we can start on our journey I thought I would look over here at AFF...
Blessings to all.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 12-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Sweet Friend, May God bless your insight.
Here are a few things I got together..notes...

THE POWER OF HUMILITY

poured water (KJV)

II Ki 3:11 But Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the LORD, that we may inquire of the LORD by him? And one of the king of Israel's servants answered and said, Here is Elisha the son of Shaphat, which poured water on the hands of Elijah. (KJV)

The account he gives of him is that it was he that poured water on the hands of Elijah, that is, he was his servant, and particularly attended him when he washed his hands. He that will be great, let him learn to minister: he that will rise high, let him begin low.
(from Matthew Henry's Commentary)
2 Kings 3:11

[Which poured water on the hands of Elijah]-- i. e., was his servant-- this being one of the common offices of a servant; for the custom is not to plunge one's hands into a basin, but to hold them out, so that a servant may pour water on the hands of his master. One who is the servant of a holy man, i. e., a priest or dervish, is, on this account, highly esteemed (Joseph Wolff's `Missionary Labours, ' p. 493).
(from Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary)

Humility is a strange quality; the claim that one possesses it is certain evidence that one does not!
Humility prepares us to serve others
Being prepared to serve others is the litmus test for genuine humility - especially when our service is not noticed or acclaimed. It is difficult for Christians to avoid the implications of Jesus' teaching that leadership involves service, and greatness involves even greater service. When James and John sought a place of honour in the Kingdom, Jesus gave the disciples a lesson saying that among the Gentiles, rulers lord it over their subjects, and those who are great act as tyrants. He told them, "it is not to be so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve and to give his life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:43-45).
HUMILITY

(c) Jesus not only strongly impressed His disciples with the need of humility, but was in Himself its supreme example. He described Himself as "meek and lowly (tapeinos) in heart" <Mt 11:29>. The first of the Beatitudes was to "the poor in spirit" <Mt 5:3>, and it was "the meek" who should "inherit the earth. Humility is the way to true greatness: he who should "humble himself as this little child" should be "the greatest in the kingdom of heaven"; "Whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted" <Mt 18:4; 23:12; Lk 14:11; 18:14>. To the humble mind truth is revealed <Mt 11:25; Lk 10:21>. Jesus set a touching example of humility in His washing His disciples' feet <Jn 13:1--17>.
(from International Standard Bible Encylopaedia, Electronic Database Copyright (C) 1996 by Biblesoft)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
It is interesting to note he was not remembered for any great work but because he poured water on the hands of his master...such humility...no wonder he was greatly used in ministry...
This is very good, Mother A...

I have always loved this simple reference to Elisha 'pouring water' and is something I wrote about several years ago re teaching our children to be servants.

Here is a small portion and it mentions many things you did here. I will shorten the paragraphs for easier reading...

One can only guess that he (the servant) tried to think of other ways to describe the prophet, for certainly there were other things he could have said about Elisha.

For instance, he is the one who asked for a double portion of anointing (2:10); saw Elijah caught up in a whirlwind, and took up the old prophet's mantle (vs. 11-13); by faith miracles were performed (vs. 14-22); and he cursed the mocking children of of Beth-el (vs. 23-25).

The servant did not speak of the miraculous, but merely said, "You know Elisha…he poured water on the hands of Elijah."

The theologians tell us that a person who poured water was a servant, or one who attended to someone as they washed their hands.

They also tell us that back in the day, people didn’t just thrust their hands into a basin of water, but held them out while someone poured water over them.

Pouring water was a lowly position and didn’t require tremendous skill. It was a job that could be done by anyone…that is, anyone with a desire to serve and show respect.

Pouring water had a voice. That voice spoke volumes to the king’s servant about honor and favoring a brother. It spoke about humility. It spoke about love at its highest level. It spoke about respect.

One more small portion...

Setting the right example is really the best teacher.

It takes a real man or woman to understand that being kind and helpful does not make one a wimp. Quite the contrary, they show true strength of character, and are virtues that are never outdated.

Pouring water keeps one humble. One pastor said, "Humility is a tricky thing…once you think you've got it, you've lost it!"

Genuine humility doesn;t wait to be asked to serve, and doesn't wait to be thanked for doing so.

True humility is not afraid of being used or walked on. True humility in service unto God, and man in the seemingly small ways, opens the flood-gate for God and man to bless us in the really big ways.

Let us encourage the children to learn the art of pouring water. Their lives will be richer for it. They will remember your example, and thank God that you showed them the Way.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Sister Alvear

I can say today sitting in this simple hotel room waiting for the rest to get ready for our trip I am a blessed person. Some may say Sister Alvear has it all going for her but those that watch firsthand know the hurts the pain that comes along with helping others...
I too know the pain of the knife from those you help and they betray your confidence, your trust and your love...those you keep up month after month and when you get on to them they turn on you BUT I know the ones that have been helped and knew how to apply the help and today are great men and women in the harvest.
Just lately several have said to me Sister Alvear you have done your part...you have helped a lot of people get started and you need to rest now and do other things...but my spirit cannot do that...No matter how much some take advantage there will always be someone you help...Your life will be repeated through someone. I never grow weary of helping people.

I cannot ever be the preacher some have grown up to be or the singer that some have grown up to be...however when I watch them...I rejoice...I only weep over those that would not listen and went shipwreck...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear