Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
scooterbugs25

Re: Cakes

HUMMING BIRD CAKE

3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple
2 c. chopped bananas
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook in tube pan. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes. In a large bowl sift together flour, salt, soda and cinnamon, add remaining ingredients and stir until mixed. Do not beat. Ice with Cream Cheese Frosting.

CREAM CHEESE ICING:

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 stick butter
2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Old 03-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Not riding the train

Vanilla Bean Cheesecake with Walnut Crust

1 1/2 cups walnut pieces
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups sour cream
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 pounds cream cheese, softened
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 10-inch springform pan. In a food processor, pulse the walnuts with 1/4 cup of the sugar until finely ground. Add the butter; pulse until the mixture resembles moist sand. Press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 12 minutes, or until browned around the edges.

In a small bowl, mix the sour cream with 1/4 cup of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.

Reduce the oven temperature to 300. In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle or using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese at low speed with the remaining 1 1/4 cups of sugar and the vanilla seeds just until combined. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl between additions. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of vanilla and the almond extract. Slowly beat in the cream until smooth. Pour the cheesecake batter into the pan and bake for 65 to 70 minutes, until lightly golden and slightly jiggly in the center.

Immediately pour the sour cream topping over the cheesecake and smooth the surface. Return the cheesecake to the oven and bake for 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a rack and let cool to room temperature. Run a sharp, thin-bladed knife around the cake and remove the ring. Refrigerate the cake for 3 hours, the cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight before serving.

Note: Make sure that you refrigerate the cake overnight to allow blending. I promise, it does not taste as excellent if you serve it without refrigerating it first! Three hours is nice, but overnight is awesome.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM
I need a Triple Espresso, NOW!

I enjoyed the pics of the cakes you ladies made. Cake decorating is a hobby of mine... Unfortunately, I don't have the pics of the few I have done. But I will post the last wedding cake I did... I had fun with it.....

My main reason for posting right now is, I have to make a Topsy Turvy Cake.... I am going to make it for a ladies tea we are having with the theme of Alice in Wonderland.... I know how it's going to look, but I am wondering if any of you have any ideas on setting up the cake? If it's not too bad, I might share pics of the end results!

I never met a chocolate I didn't like!

*sigh* I did nothing yesterday.... I wasn't finished so I did nothing again today!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Pressing-On, thanks for posting the cheesecake recipe. I'm anxious to give it a try. I have no idea where to get vanilla beans here in our area. But I do have some excellent Mexican Vanilla. (it's waaaaayyyyy better than that junk you can get in the local grocery stores). Mmmmmmm
Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Pressing-On, thanks for posting the cheesecake recipe. I'm anxious to give it a try. I have no idea where to get vanilla beans here in our area. But I do have some excellent Mexican Vanilla. (it's waaaaayyyyy better than that junk you can get in the local grocery stores). Mmmmmmm
Margie,
That's what I've always used - Mexican Vanilla. You really don't have to use the vanilla beans if you don't want too. It's still a great cheesecake without them.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
GO CUBBIES!

i made this for a 4 year old this past weekend. took me 7 hours!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mayas cake 002_600x900.jpg (77.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Hey! LaGirl! Must have been the weekend for Castle Cakes! GREAT JOB! This is what I did last weekend!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
GO CUBBIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola View Post
Hey! LaGirl! Must have been the weekend for Castle Cakes! GREAT JOB! This is what I did last weekend!
very pretty!
i hope i dont have to do another one for a LONG time! lol if was fun to make, but very time consuming. 9 cake mixes and 12.5 pounds of powdered sugar....enough said...lol
Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

If very many people saw it you WILL be doing one before you know it!

Beth
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGirl View Post
i made this for a 4 year old this past weekend. took me 7 hours!!!!!!!
That is so awesome!!!! I have no patience for that sort of thing. I never have!

Good work, LaGirl!!!!!!!