Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL
Re: Hellfire, Love or a mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Thats funny, if its all love why is the Bible chock full of warnings of judgment and punishment for evil? Are we reading the same Bible?
It is not all about love but it certainly is one of the most MAJOR things. I would much rather win someone to Him by showing them his love and compassion than trying to scare hell out of them. I have seen that done and it doesn't seem to work very well. Plus most of those I know that all they do is worry about the angry God are not very happy people.
It didn't take preaching hells fire on the day of Pentecost, why should it take it now?

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfam6 View Post
It is not all about love but it certainly is one of the most MAJOR things. I would much rather win someone to Him by showing them his love and compassion than trying to scare hell out of them. I have seen that done and it doesn't seem to work very well. Plus most of those I know that all they do is worry about the angry God are not very happy people.
It didn't take preaching hells fire on the day of Pentecost, why should it take it now?
One sermon may not tell the whole story.

Notice the effect Pauls preaching had on the Governor he witnessed to.

23: And he commanded a centurion to keep Paul, and to let him have liberty, and that he should forbid none of his acquaintance to minister or come unto him.
24: And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.
25: And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. Acts 24:23-25

What was Paul preaching? Righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come. Upon hearing Felix trembled. Apparently Paul felt this was to be included in his witness. We are to preach the word. The results are up to God.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Sister Alvear

something else that might be important is no man can come to Christ UNLESS the spirit draws him...we must be sensitive to the Spirit´s bidding and follow the Spirit...God know what every group we speak to needs to hear...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Crazy father of 4

Quote:
One sermon may not tell the whole story.

Notice the effect Pauls preaching had on the Governor he witnessed to.

23: And he commanded a centurion to keep Paul, and to let him have liberty, and that he should forbid none of his acquaintance to minister or come unto him.
24: And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.
25: And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. Acts 24:23-25

What was Paul preaching? Righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come. Upon hearing Felix trembled. Apparently Paul felt this was to be included in his witness. We are to preach the word. The results are up to God.
Judgement to come does not have to mean a hells fire and damnation message. Sin is sin and needs preached against but I do not see that as hells fire preaching. When you harp and condemn everyone to hell for every thing they do and when you try to scare them into the kingdom it is how I see it. You can preach against sin and about coming judgement and still preach about Jesus Christ and Christ curcified and win souls.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfam6 View Post
Judgement to come does not have to mean a hells fire and damnation message. Sin is sin and needs preached against but I do not see that as hells fire preaching. When you harp and condemn everyone to hell for every thing they do and when you try to scare them into the kingdom it is how I see it. You can preach against sin and about coming judgement and still preach about Jesus Christ and Christ curcified and win souls.
Sorry friend but there seems to be a definite trend going on to water down the message of eternal judgment. After all it IS one of the foundation doctrines of the Church. I think people are ashamed of the message of hell fire. Whens the last time anyone heard it taught?

Fear is one heck of a motivator. If you dont believe me read the Bible. You will see it preached by practically all of its writers. Why? Because the one who inspired its writing moved them to write such things.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Crazy father of 4

Quote:
Sorry friend but there seems to be a definite trend going on to water down the message of eternal judgment. After all it IS one of the foundation doctrines of the Church. I think people are ashamed of the message of hell fire. Whens the last time anyone heard it taught?

Fear is one heck of a motivator. If you dont believe me read the Bible. You will see it preached by practically all of its writers. Why? Because the one who inspired its writing moved them to write such things.
Thing is I don't see anywhere in the Bible where they used the fear to win souls. Every where in the Bible when it talks about souls being won to the kingdom they are learn about Jesus and Him being the Messiah. The rest comes through teaching to those that are already saved. And the ones who heard about judgement were usually already pretty bad people and I don't remember many, if any, of them ACTUALLY coming into the kingdom. One was just almost persuaded and needed a more convient time. Doesn't sound like a very effective witness and soul saving tool to me.
Is it important to learn about? Yes I think it is. But there is something to be said for the old adage "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

Old 07-11-2009, 04:16 PM
The Young Torchbearer

i think a mix of both and the question is how. I am taught that you do not use Acts 2:38 to kill someone, but to save a wretched sinful soul. So hellfire is needed as well.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

I believe the Bible should be our guide regarding how preaching is approached.

One thing Paul said about church gatherings in I Corinthians should be mentioned. Paul taught the Corinthians,

I Corinthians 14:26
26What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.
All preaching and teaching should be for the strengthening of the church. Sadly, a diet of excessive "hellfire" teaching or preaching leaves the saints spiritually malnourished and it reflects in their judgmental or fearful attitude when approaching spiritual things. However, there is a time for spiritual discipline when God reveals sin in the church. Paul told Timothy,
1 Timothy 5:20
Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
I believe that stern and sharp rebukes should be prefaced with an appeal to how much the elder loves the saints and how this message is difficult for him to deliver.