Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-26-2020, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Depression

I was able to take part of the last day of BOTT 2020. I enjoyed the messages I heard, and it looked like from point of view that it was a great conference. One thing I was really looking forward to viewing was the discussion panel, the conferences I’ve been to never had them. So, I was interested in seeing one in action in a church setting. The topic was being made whole, and they discussed that ministering to a church, to families can at times be overwhelming. Problems within Pastors homes are often hidden for the fact that “fellowships” might judge them. The participants all agreed that even though that they had faith to see God work in other people lives, it seemed that the problems they were going through were not being solved. It was a very good discussion, not being critical in any way. The reason for this thread is what the wife of the moderator for the discussion said. This Sister (I’m sorry I don’t remember her name) said that I believe for several years she battled depression, and she prayed, had elders pray for her! She said nothing was working, she was in a dark depression. She then went on to say that she went to a doctor to take medication, and I believe she talked with a therapist (that may have been the other gentleman). Anyway, not being critical, nor am I trying to embarrass this Sister. How does anyone here view depression? Do you believe we go to the doctors, take medication and problem solved? Is it spiritual? What say anyone of you...
Old 01-26-2020, 07:20 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Depression

I believe that pharmaceuticals are a trap. I would rather see pastoral counseling and support along with the spiritual warfare of reading the psalms and focusing prayer time on praise, worshipping and thanksgivings. This battle is won through worshipping and praising God. Others should be enlisted for prayer, fasting and intercession.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I believe that pharmaceuticals are a trap. I would rather see pastoral counseling and support along with the spiritual warfare of reading the psalms and focusing prayer time on praise, worshipping and thanksgivings. This battle is won through worshipping and praising God. Others should be enlisted for prayer, fasting and intercession.
When I heard the discussion panel talk about this, it put a thought wondering how many church goers actually deal with this. Now mind I wasn’t just interested in non-denominational, Lutheran, Baptist’s etc. I was interested in Pentecostal/Apostolic ranks. In my search I found an article from 1993, that stated in North Carolina Pentecostals ranked the highest that suffered from Depression! I was shocked, hence why I ask the question. What do you do with Depression?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Nothing a good prayer meeting won’t cure.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:04 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Nothing a good prayer meeting won’t cure.

Yeah...maybe Paul should have told Timothy to have himself a good ole prayer meeting for his frequent infirmities and stomach issues...

Come on man...
Old 01-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Depression means a lot of different things. Are we talking about melancholy? Sadness? Feeling down? Feeling unsatisfied? Or are we talking clinical emotional flatline, neither sad nor happy? Boredom? Suppression of appetite and interests?

Some depressions are caused by circumstances. Working a job you hate can be depressing, for example. Some are caused by dietary or general health issues. Some can be caused by too much social media. Some are spiritual attacks with no apparent "cause".

Each case is different, requires unique approaches.

One thing we seem to be prone to forget is that as Christians we are called to participate not only in Christ's glory and triumphs, but in His rejection, sorrows, and sufferings as well.

I think though that a lot of Pentecostal women are depressed because they have gotten caught up in a non Biblical but religious lifestyle that does not actually promote Biblical femininity and Biblical masculinity (for their husbands). This is just a symptom of the larger societal failures creeping into the church world. In my opinion, of course.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-26-2020, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Depression means a lot of different things. Are we talking about melancholy? Sadness? Feeling down? Feeling unsatisfied? Or are we talking clinical emotional flatline, neither sad nor happy? Boredom? Suppression of appetite and interests?

Some depressions are caused by circumstances. Working a job you hate can be depressing, for example. Some are caused by dietary or general health issues. Some can be caused by too much social media. Some are spiritual attacks with no apparent "cause".

Old 01-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:

One thing we seem to be prone to forget is that as Christians we are called to participate not only in Christ's glory and triumphs, but in His rejection, sorrows, and sufferings as well.

I think though that a lot of Pentecostal women are depressed because they have gotten caught up in a non Biblical but religious lifestyle that does not actually promote Biblical femininity and Biblical masculinity (for their husbands). This is just a symptom of the larger societal failures creeping into the church world. In my opinion, of course.

YES!!!!!!! My wife and I have been having to discover what works for us and yes counseling has been pretty great unpacking some things about ourselves as individuals and as a couple.

The masculine/feminine roles...yeah thats a major thing we found that caused so many problems and so much friction and I had to step out of that beta passive mentality.

My wife has been on all kinds of psych meds but what we found actually works is a low dose blood pressure medication.

It basically represses the extreme fight or flight response triggered by the complex PTSD and has stopped the anxiety attacks on their tracks.

We are fearfully and wonderfully made and we need to study how we are put together and what makes us tick!

With each discovery we can become better and be in even more awe at Gods handiwork!
Old 01-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Yeah...maybe Paul should have told Timothy to have himself a good ole prayer meeting for his frequent infirmities and stomach issues...

Come on man...

More than that, he told him to suck it up "2 Timothy 2:3"

But Paul also in the previous letter greeted Timothy with Christ as the one who gives strength 1 Timothy 1:12. He then makes sure in the second chapter to exhort Timothy to pray for all men including all who are in leadership positions. Therefore by the second letter to Timothy the prayer meeting is what brings Paul JOY. Paul then reminds Timothy, of the two prayer warriors of faith who raised Timothy, his moms and his meemaw. Paul reminds Timothy again to fan the flame that was given through his ordination that the Holy Ghost isn't a spirit of cowardice, but self control, power, and of mature love.

His stomach issue was one of digestion, due to a water issue. Therefore wine is the alternative for the local water issues on the gut.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I’m sorry about that Brother, she wasn’t too revealing in the discussion. She just mentioned that it was a dark time (went on for several years) in her life, she became isolated, lonely, out of touch etc.. When she revealed that she went to a doctor and began to take medication for the depression. She was received with a standing ovation, understanding it took courage to confess that to so many people. She also confessed with great strength that she prayed, fasted and believed for God to take her out of that situation. She proclaimed it didn’t work, her miracle didn’t come, thats when she said she went to the doctor and took medication, after some time the feelings of depression went away.

The Discussion was about being made whole, all of them confessed to suffering burnout. Does burnout lead to depression, I just cant help but feel there is a lot of this going on in the church. And because of the fear of backlash you might receive from the church people hold it in, and the problems branches into other areas of our life.

Last edited by Nicodemus1968; 01-26-2020 at 03:05 PM.