Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Prayer Closet
Facebook

Notices

Prayer Closet The place to post prayer requests & testimonies. All new requests will auto-stick in Fellowship Hall for 48 hours.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Re: Chronic Depression-prayers please

Hi Miss

I'm sorry for what you have been/are going thru. Life is not simple and the devil will use every chance to bring you down BUT remember, you are a daughter of the Most High King.

Couple of tips. Go on a mission!! Be it in your town/ state, the caribbean or africa/asia. Let the Lord use you spread the gospel and help the less fortunate. Read the book of acts and see how powerful the apostles/disciples would FULLY depend on God with almost no dime in they pockets and how the Lord provided! You could even start going to clubs/streets and bring the good news to the girls.

I will keep you lifted up in my prayers, but most importantly i ask the Lord to use you as an instrument to spread His Gospel to the nations. In Jesus Name!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenuntodeath View Post
Hi, for the past year and a half i ve been going through on and off depression which is caused by alot of things. Being laid off, loneliness, demons from my past, past abuse, etc. Im surrounded by people, family who have never been emotionally supportive. There are many days where i have to drag myself out of bed, my depression de motivates me and i put off things because im not feel that anything will come of it anyway.

A woman prophecied to me about some things god will do in my life, but really i dont plan on sticking around to see those things come to pass. Im at a cross road right now where i really want to change my environment as a way to relieve my depression.

Prayers, especially on days which you fast, are much needed. God bless.
Praying here......
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenuntodeath View Post
Its the story of my life, lol.
I love your sig line! I think it's great!

Well, I very much understand depression.....that's also the story of my life.

I think whoever said it could be caused by a physical ailment is probably onto something.

There was once a time in my life that I thought my depression was caused by....I don't know.....myself being unwilling to do some mysterious thing, I suppose, so I could just be as cheery as everybody else. Well, years have taught me that that was probably the worst thing I could have thought. I now know it has been caused by a combination of things, mostly outside of my control. However, here is a good saying....

What happens to you is not your fault. It is your responsibility.

Those words I have held onto for many years because they are so true. You cannot help or control that you do not have support in your life. It is not because you are a bad person, a loser, someone who will not just find some support. I suspect it is just downright absent.

So, that's not your fault. But I also suspect there are other things that you can do about the depression. Those nagging feelings about it being your fault are probably your mind's way of saying "Do something about this" and you can't change other people so you feel at the end of your rope and so you get more depressed.

But there is good news! There are people who do not have a lot of support who are not depressed. Why? Because they do not have a physical predisposition toward depression.

I found out that I have a spinal misalignment in my neck and, I kid you not, when it goes out, I get instantly depressed. When it is put back in, voila!, instant relief.

Add to that that I have a system that seems to be run down at all times. I have gotten sick a lot since I was a baby. When I look back I see that my mom was a smoker (my Dad too), I had a low birth weight, I was bottle fed, my tonsils were taken out at age 6 because of constant infection etc.

And then there is the system we live in which does NOT allow sickness so you must feel guilty if you feel sick because you are letting those around you down etc. etc. etc.

Look into your life and if you stopped judging yourself you might find you have real, true and valid reasons for your depression. And you might find some real, true and valid ways to help yourself manage it.

I try to eat healthy, see a chiropractor and take supplements. I do everything I can to manage it. And that is exactly what I do......I manage it. It is always there just to lesser or greater degrees. But the great thing is that the tremendous guilt I carried for being depressed is much less. It is still there, nagging and yelling at me for being such a loser for being depressed but sometimes it is far off, in the distance. Sometimes it gets closer and engulfs me and I know logically it is a liar but emotionally I can't see it.

But living this way is much better than living in that pit where I had no clue which end was up.

And changing your environment is sometimes a very good thing.

I am praying for you.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post

I think whoever said it could be caused by a physical ailment is probably onto something.

There was once a time in my life that I thought my depression was caused by....I don't know.....myself being unwilling to do some mysterious thing, I suppose, so I could just be as cheery as everybody else. Well, years have taught me that that was probably the worst thing I could have thought. I now know it has been caused by a combination of things, mostly outside of my control. However, here is a good saying....

Those words I have held onto for many years because they are so true. You cannot help or control that you do not have support in your life. It is not because you are a bad person, a loser, someone who will not just find some support. I suspect it is just downright absent.

So, that's not your fault. But I also suspect there are other things that you can do about the depression. Those nagging feelings about it being your fault are probably your mind's way of saying "Do something about this" and you can't change other people so you feel at the end of your rope and so you get more depressed.

But there is good news! There are people who do not have a lot of support who are not depressed. Why? Because they do not have a physical predisposition toward depression.

I found out that I have a spinal misalignment in my neck and, I kid you not, when it goes out, I get instantly depressed. When it is put back in, voila!, instant relief.

Add to that that I have a system that seems to be run down at all times. I have gotten sick a lot since I was a baby. When I look back I see that my mom was a smoker (my Dad too), I had a low birth weight, I was bottle fed, my tonsils were taken out at age 6 because of constant infection etc.

And then there is the system we live in which does NOT allow sickness so you must feel guilty if you feel sick because you are letting those around you down etc. etc. etc.

Look into your life and if you stopped judging yourself you might find you have real, true and valid reasons for your depression. And you might find some real, true and valid ways to help yourself manage it.

I try to eat healthy, see a chiropractor and take supplements. I do everything I can to manage it. And that is exactly what I do......I manage it. It is always there just to lesser or greater degrees. But the great thing is that the tremendous guilt I carried for being depressed is much less. It is still there, nagging and yelling at me for being such a loser for being depressed but sometimes it is far off, in the distance. Sometimes it gets closer and engulfs me and I know logically it is a liar but emotionally I can't see it.

But living this way is much better than living in that pit where I had no clue which end was up.

I am praying for you.
What a heartfelt, genuine, and courageous post ILG!

I thought of something while I read your thoughts... Sometimes God takes our problem from us, and we call it a miracle...

and sometimes God takes us through the problem, one day at a time... and that is a miracle too, although we may not see fighting depression every day as a miracle from God.

We know that even as Paul suffered with his "thorn in the flesh", that God allows us to suffer with things in our lives for HIS greater purpose, of which we many times cannot see.

Sometimes He just removes it from us, and we call it a miracle.

I choose to believe that when He leaves it with us... this is the greater miracle, because we learn more than ever to trust His guiding hand, even when the way is rough.... simply because we experience many many more miracles along the journey with Him.

Regardless of the emotional spiritual battles that each one of us face.... there is no problem or situation in which a close, daily and personal relationship with the Lord cannot but help.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
What a heartfelt, genuine, and courageous post ILG!

I thought of something while I read your thoughts... Sometimes God takes our problem from us, and we call it a miracle...

and sometimes God takes us through the problem, one day at a time... and that is a miracle too, although we may not see fighting depression every day as a miracle from God.

We know that even as Paul suffered with his "thorn in the flesh", that God allows us to suffer with things in our lives for HIS greater purpose, of which we many times cannot see.

Sometimes He just removes it from us, and we call it a miracle.

I choose to believe that when He leaves it with us... this is the greater miracle, because we learn more than ever to trust His guiding hand, even when the way is rough.... simply because we experience many many more miracles along the journey with Him.

Regardless of the emotional spiritual battles that each one of us face.... there is no problem or situation in which a close, daily and personal relationship with the Lord cannot but help.
Thanks KYBT.

Yes, having a problem like depression certainly is no miracle. But I have seen many small miracles along the way that allow me to seem almost normal. LOL! But we all have problems that are different. Some are obese. Some have sexual urges. Some have temper issues. Some are controlling. I think we all often feel isolated with our own little issue. But, we're probably not so isolated in that we HAVE an issue, just maybe a bit isolated in what our certain issue is.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

On it.

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post

I am praying for you.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Many wise responses and good advice posted, there is not much I can add, but I will tell you what seems to be helping me.

I also know the pain of depression.
The passage of time has brought with it the sorrow of loss which is difficult to bear.

I found a ladies bible study, prayer, & fellowship group. A group where we bear each other burdens, laugh and cry together and support each other.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
The Message (MSG)

9-10 It’s better to have a partner than go it alone.
Share the work, share the wealth.
And if one falls down, the other helps,
But if there’s no one to help . . .

12 By yourself you’re unprotected.
With a friend you can face the worst.
Can you round up a third?
A three-stranded rope isn’t easily snapped.

Last edited by Amanah; 03-06-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imreedemed View Post
Hi Miss

I'm sorry for what you have been/are going thru. Life is not simple and the devil will use every chance to bring you down BUT remember, you are a daughter of the Most High King.

Couple of tips. Go on a mission!! Be it in your town/ state, the caribbean or africa/asia. Let the Lord use you spread the gospel and help the less fortunate. Read the book of acts and see how powerful the apostles/disciples would FULLY depend on God with almost no dime in they pockets and how the Lord provided! You could even start going to clubs/streets and bring the good news to the girls.

I will keep you lifted up in my prayers, but most importantly i ask the Lord to use you as an instrument to spread His Gospel to the nations. In Jesus Name!
I second this!!

I am praying for you!! I can relate to what you are going through!!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator

I absolutely do not understand depression in the way I know that some people describe it. However I do have some suggestions;

- If the people around you are no a positive influence you MUST find some who are. You need people in your life who will speak positive things into it and trust me what God wants for your life is positive.

- As someone else said do not be afraid to seek professional help. There are many Christian counseling services that are either free or who charge according to your income and ability to pay.

-Also as someone said you need to have a complete physical with a medical doctor checking for any chemical imbalances, thyroid issues, etc that could account for some of your depression.

- Lastly you have to want to help yourself and then beyond want have to actually do some things. Daily have a season of prayer and study in Gods word. Rebuke the enemy of your soul who would have you stay in an impaired state and thank God for the promise that His Holy Spirit will be the comforter that we so badly need to walk and live a victorious life on this earth.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"