Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Recovering Pharisee

Back with some new perspective

Greetings to AFF! It has been about 6 years since I last participated in the discussions on this forum (although I peek out here on occasion). Much has changed in my life since I was last here. God has graciously blessed my husband and I with two beautiful kids: Jaxon our 4 year old son and Acacia our 2 year old princess. We are no longer part of the UPC (or any other traditional holiness pentecostal group) and boy was that transition an eye opening experience. I have noticed some interesting discussions our here recently and just want to chime in, shake things up a little maybe. Let the fun begin!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Back with some new perspective

Wow...lol. Welcome back

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanne Murphy View Post
Greetings to AFF! It has been about 6 years since I last participated in the discussions on this forum (although I peek out here on occasion). Much has changed in my life since I was last here. God has graciously blessed my husband and I with two beautiful kids: Jaxon our 4 year old son and Acacia our 2 year old princess. We are no longer part of the UPC (or any other traditional holiness pentecostal group) and boy was that transition an eye opening experience. I have noticed some interesting discussions our here recently and just want to chime in, shake things up a little maybe. Let the fun begin!
That is OK, you do not have to be a part of an organization to be a part of the kingdom of God.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
That is OK, you do not have to be a part of an organization to be a part of the kingdom of God.
Does God have an organization?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:50 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanne Murphy View Post
Hey there, and welcome back!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Hey, Roxanne!

I remember you well!! Welcome back and congratulations on your new journey! I am very excited for you! Can you share what brought you to where you are now?? Can you share where you are now as well?

An Old Friend,

ILG

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Hey, Roxanne!

I remember you well!! Welcome back and congratulations on your new journey! I am very excited for you! Can you share what brought you to where you are now?? Can you share where you are now as well?

An Old Friend,

ILG
Yes, please do... I second the motion!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Indeed - Dear Roxanne was quite the fireball six years ago. Do tell
Old 12-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Recovering Pharisee

This journey of change began about 2 years ago. My dear husband had completed his MBA and had started a course for our church to help folks live more on purpose to thus better reach a lost and dying world with the gospel. He and our pastor felt that one of the key issues that God was dealing with our church was about transparency. At the same time, our church was growing and our pastor and his wife had started a midweek Bible study in their home that soon grew into a daughter work.
My pastor, his wife, my husband, myself, our youth pastor and his wife were all finding ourselves asking: how do we truly and effectively communicate the gospel to our area? How do we reach people? Evangelizing ourselves is not fulfilling the Great Commission!
Then, people from the daughter work who came to visit our main Sunday services began to ask our pastor: why do the ladies in your church only wear dressed? Why do they not wear jewelry or use make up? Why do they not cut their hair? So my pastor set out to prepare good, sound, scriptural reasons to explain why our ladies looked as they did. He realized that he would be presenting these teachings to honest, well educated people who were seeing the Word of God through eyes and hearts not previously influenced by the 'holiness' culture that our church had, compliments of the denomination to which we belonged. He soon realized that he could not honestly make the scriptures say that these things were sinful.
Now, at the same time, my dear husband was taking another look at these very same things and very exuberantly discussing them with me. I was not interested, in fact was afraid of what I was hearing, and actually one day told him, "I don't wish to discuss this please stop!" I was very distressed and found myself asking God to please restore my husband's sanity. But as I continued to pray about these things, God began to take me for a spiritual stroll through the gospels and pointed out how the Pharisees were so entrenched in their traditions that they missed what God was doing, in fact, fought against Him! This was a painful realization for me because I had been quite a zealous holiness Pharisee; this was all that I knew and I had become accustomed to judging everything by those man made 'holiness standards' that I had been taught from my childhood. (To be continued)
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Yay, Roxanne!! Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~