Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
abuse, eric garner, police, rest in peace, violence

Old 12-07-2014, 03:43 AM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Saddened by NY Grand Jury Decision To NOT Indi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
Surprisingly I'm with Prax on this one.

Fact 1: Cops believed man was selling loose cigs
Fact 2: Cops were attempting to arrest the man for selling loose cigs
Fact 3: The submission hold that the officer placed Garner in primarily restricted his blood flow and not his airflow.
Fact 4: Some people define a choke hold as only a hold that restricts the airflow. Others call a choke hold any hold that restricts the air flow or blood flow.

My opinion: Cops should be allowed to use the necessary amount of force that is needed to apprehend a lawbreaker while placing themselves at minimal risk for harm. In other words a quick take down followed by a dogpile is likely the safest course of action for the cops when a man is being beligerent and saying things like "this ends here" and "don't touch me" and waving his arms around while saying those things. Taking quick sudden action before the situation can escalate any further is the right thing to do.

How else would any of you rather the police behave?
Thats what I keep asking. How ELSE do the Police subdue someone who is resisting and combative?

I just saw a video of some driver being a butthead to a cop for being pulled over for a broken/missing front plate

He asked the man several times if he would sign the ticket and he just gave him an attitude. Guess what? They dragged his butt out of the car and slammed him against the side and arrested him.

The only time it's calm is when you do exactly what they ask. In this case the cop finally had enough and determined the man refused to sign and so he asked him to step out. The man would not...why do people fight the police then say they are afraid? Huh?

BTW the driver was white

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:53 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

You know, all this reminds me of an incident on my overnight job. I work at a convenience store, and while I'm disgusted by tobacco and alcohol, I'm forced to sell it as part of my job. As such, if I'm forced to do so, I follow the law to the letter on IDs (which is, everyone looking under 30 must show ID every time). I've even carded people 10 years older than me, and I'm nearly 40 myself, just because I wasn't sure. I get some irate people because of it, but I don't care.

One night, while working at another store than my usual one, some guy came in wanting to buy but didn't have his ID. After refusing sale, he was irate but left to get his ID. When he came back, and I explained it was the law, his response was "f*** the law". He was a black man. This is the kind of attitude cops often have to deal with. Am I saying all blacks are like this? Absolutely not. It's the punks. It just seems there's a lot of young blacks who are punks who have no respect for the law.

It's easy to try and make things racial, and sometimes it is, but many times it's just lack of respect for the law and the officers who enforce it. Many times it's held up as a statistic that more blacks are arrested than whites, but how often is it because of attitudes like I mentioned above? It's because they're punks and thugs.

We, as a nation, need to stop dividing ourselves. I don't care if you're black, white, yellow, red, green, purple, orange or blue (well, maybe blue people, they're just wrong ). It makes no difference to me. If you show respect to me, I'll show respect back to you. It's the same when dealing with cops. There are bad cops out there, and they should be weeded out and dealt with; but by and large most officers are just doing their job. And if the media would just stop trying to divide us with labels (fat chance, I know), that would go a long way towards helping to reduce the divide.

Last edited by Jito463; 12-07-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:26 AM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
no the idiotic response was your "They think all cops are nice"
Okay, so it was idiotic, forgive me.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
Surprisingly I'm with Prax on this one.

Fact 1: Cops believed man was selling loose cigs
Fact 2: Cops were attempting to arrest the man for selling loose cigs
Fact 3: The submission hold that the officer placed Garner in primarily restricted his blood flow and not his airflow.
Fact 4: Some people define a choke hold as only a hold that restricts the airflow. Others call a choke hold any hold that restricts the air flow or blood flow.

My opinion: Cops should be allowed to use the necessary amount of force that is needed to apprehend a lawbreaker while placing themselves at minimal risk for harm. In other words a quick take down followed by a dogpile is likely the safest course of action for the cops when a man is being beligerent and saying things like "this ends here" and "don't touch me" and waving his arms around while saying those things. Taking quick sudden action before the situation can escalate any further is the right thing to do.

How else would any of you rather the police behave?
Great post! Very concise!

Have we agreed on anything in the past? Today might be the first time.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Go Dodgers!

Repeating. It was a legal hold, not an illegal chokehold. The man died from cardiac arrest not asphyxia

The Coroners report said it was merely a contributing factor along with his poor health and being on his chest with someone compressing down on his back

There was a black supervisor on the scene that could have stopped it but herself said she did not thing the man was in danger

The cop that used the head hold was NOT the cop that approached the man

So WHY was only that cop the one that was to be indicted or not? Why is he the scape goat?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Move on, nothing to see here. Choking the neck of someone and kneeling on their back has no effect on breathing or the heart, right.

And yeah, one black supervisor cop was there and didn't say anything surrounded by several white cops, so that means she approved of what happened, right?

Believe that, and I have ocean view property here in Phoenix for sale.

We'll be disagreeing on this. You can't separate Garner from Brown and can't admit a cop acted stupidly and because of that, a man and father of 6 kids is dead.

#Icantbreathe
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Move on, nothing to see here. Choking the neck of someone and kneeling on their back has no effect on breathing or the heart, right.

And yeah, one black supervisor cop was there and didn't say anything surrounded by several white cops, so that means she approved of what happened, right?

Believe that, and I have ocean view property here in Phoenix for sale.

We'll be disagreeing on this. You can't separate Garner from Brown and can't admit a cop acted stupidly and because of that, a man and father of 6 kids is dead.

#Icantbreathe
How should the cops have arrested the man? What would have been acceptable force?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Great post! Very concise!

Have we agreed on anything in the past? Today might be the first time.
Thanks PO. I think this is the first and only time. It can't be good for your conservative reputation to agree with me. Might wanna recant your opinion? Jk
Old 12-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Go Dodgers!

[QUOTE=n david;1346519]Move on, nothing to see here. Choking the neck of someone and kneeling on their back has no effect on breathing or the heart, right.
[QUOTE]
You don't actually interact with what people here are saying nor our links. Instead you continually appeal to emotive arguments

He did not CHOKE him. You can remain ignorant by not reading all the information I have given you but he did not CHOKE the man. He put him in a head restraint and his windpipe showed NO damage. He was not having his breathing cut off from this move

And someone on his back causing his cardiac arrest?
I DID actually NOT deny that could or did contribute to the heart. You missed that because, as I said, you are functioning on Emotions.

I will add one last thing, because I re-watched the video.

He was combative and agitated from the beginning. Stress can cause a CA too

Im having serious questions regarding the coroners report because as I am watching the video he complains about breathing before being on his stomach yet the CA report says "Chest compression"...

Some of speculated the CA report was political.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

So he was lying when he said he couldn't breathe? Unfortunately we can't ask him, since he's dead.