Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-24-2021, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Re: What Are You Reading Currently, 2.0

Currently:
The Myth Made Fact: Reading Greek and Roman Mythology through Christian Eyes
by Louis Markos

Interesting, but reminds me of some of my college lit courses where the professor could make anything fit his worldview.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:42 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Josephus Flavius
Complete Works

The Beginnings of Judaism,
By Dr Isaiah M Gafni

Septuagint,
Brenton translation

New Testament History,
Professor FF Bruce

Last edited by Amanah; 12-06-2021 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Currently reading Thou Art That: Transforming Religious Metaphor by Joseph Campbell, Edited by Eugene Kennedy.

https://www.jcf.org/works/titles/thou-art-that/

Afterward, I intend on reading Blood Expiation in Hittite and Biblical Ritual: Origins, Context, and Meaning by Professor Yitzhaq Feder.

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Expiati.../dp/9004202595

A PDF of the Introduction:

https://www.academia.edu/955861/Bloo...xt_and_Meaning

And I just ordered Trees and Kings: A Comparative Analysis of Tree Imagery in Israel's Prophetic Tradition and the Ancient Near East by Dr. William Osborne.

https://www.amazon.com/Trees-Kings-C...75067501&psc=1
I finished Campbell's Thou Art That. I was disappointed, hoping for the world's former foremost expert on mythology and Christian symbols to have had much more insight and understanding than was presented in the book. Perhaps back when he was alive and presenting his material it was much more ground-breaking? Not sure, but definitely wasn't for me.

I've begun reading, as planned, Blood Expiation in Hittite and Biblical Ritual: Origins, Context, and Meaning by Professor Yitzhaq Feder.

I am also perusing the following:

A Beautiful Question: Finding Nature's Deep Design by Frank Wilczek

and

Heaven on Earth: The Temple in Biblical Theology, T. Desmond Alexander and Simon Gathercole, Editors.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 12-12-2021 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Fulfilled eschatology book
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211221-113950_Kindle.jpg (89.8 KB, 8 views)
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:50 PM
Administrator

About to start reading The Hardy Boys books 1 through 10. My son knows I loved them as a kid growing up and for Christmas bought me a gift set of the first ten books with the original artwork, etc. Hard cover.

Also reading travel guides on Central America for my upcoming 14 night full Panama Canal transit cruise at the end of this month if Omicron doesn't cause it to be cancelled (I give it a 75% chance of being cancelled).
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-08-2022, 01:37 PM
Covenant Apostolic

The Hebrew Bible
A translation with commentary
By Robert Alter

3 volumes:
The Torah, The Prophets, The Writings
Old 01-08-2022, 03:42 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
About to start reading The Hardy Boys books 1 through 10. My son knows I loved them as a kid growing up and for Christmas bought me a gift set of the first ten books with the original artwork, etc. Hard cover.
I used to read those all the time as a kid. I remember checking them out two at a time from the library, reading them that night and then returning them the next day to get two more. I couldn't even begin to tell you the plot of a single book now, but I do remember enjoying them.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post

Also reading travel guides on Central America for my upcoming 14 night full Panama Canal transit cruise at the end of this month if Omicron doesn't cause it to be cancelled (I give it a 75% chance of being cancelled).
I have used the LONELY PLANET guidebooks several times before traveling and have found them to be most helpful.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Fulfilled eschatology book

Did you finish this or still working on it?

i’d like to know your thoughts on it

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 01-08-2022, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
I have used the LONELY PLANET guidebooks several times before traveling and have found them to be most helpful.
It was kind of funny to see your book recommendation just now because the Lonely Planet Central America travel guide is the one I had picked out and had in my Amazon cart to buy!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"