Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Covenant Apostolic

How many Spirits can a person have in them?

I'm thinking 2, your own spirit and either the Spirit of God, or the spirit of a demon.

What do you think?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

Demon possession brings two spirits. Having the Holy Ghost isn't like demon possession. It is a union between man's spirit and God's Spirit. A believer with the Holy Ghost still only has one spirit.
I Corinthians 6:17
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Re: How many Spirits can a person have in them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Demon possession brings two spirits. Having the Holy Ghost isn't like demon possession. It is a union between man's spirit and God's Spirit. A believer with the Holy Ghost still only has one spirit.
why is it that a holy ghost person can still have evil thoughts come into mind from heart/spirit? doesn't john refer to "the seed that remains", like the hg being a part of our spirit?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I Am That I Am.

I've always thought the human spirit was the mind, God's spirit is Christ within you, and you can be ATTACKED BY and ENTERTAIN numerous spirits at a time. The bible tells us more than one spirit and/or demon can have possession of you at one time, IE Legion.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Anyone familiar with the below teaching?

http://ft111.com/sevenspirits.htm

THE SEVEN SPIRITS OF GOD

by Bill Burns
Faith Tabernacle
P. O. Box 1148
Kremmling, Colorado 80459
http://ft111.com

Have you ever wondered what the seven spirits of God were? Several years ago while I was studying the Book of Revelation, I began to ponder several scriptures that I had read before, but had not sought any spiritual insight into They are:

Revelation 3:1 "And to the angel of the church in Sardis write, These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead."

Revelation 4:5 "And from the throne proceeded lightnings, thunderings, and voices. Seven lamps of fire were burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God."

Revelation 5:6 "And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth."

From these scriptures I could see that Jesus had or held these seven spirits, which are the eyes of the Lord, and are represented by the seven lamps (lampstands) of fire. This concept is also spoken of by the Prophet Zechariah:

Zechariah 4:2 "And he said to me, 'What do you see?' So I said, 'I am looking, and there is a lampstand of solid gold with a bowl on top of it, and on the stand seven lamps with seven pipes to the seven lamps.'"

Zechariah 4:6 "So he answered and said to me: This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' Says the LORD of hosts."

Zechariah 4:10 tells us that these seven (lamps) are the eyes of the Lord. This also agrees with Revelation 3:6, but also included in the Revelation passage is reference to the seven horns.

So, we have these images to consider:

1. The Seven Spirits--Seven is God's number of perfection. The scriptures said that Jesus had these seven spirits. This concept of perfection or fullness agrees with John 3:34 "For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure." In other words, Jesus had the fullness of the Spirit without limitations which produced God's perfection.

2. The Seven Eyes--These seven eyes represent spiritual vision. Jesus had 20/20 spiritual vision. These eyes represent the ability to see by the Spirit into the Spirit world.

3. The Seven Horns--Prophetically, horns represent spiritual authority (power). Jesus has been given all authority in heaven and on earth (Matthew 28:18). Again, the number seven indicates complete authority.

4. The Seven Lamps of Fire--Represent the baptism of the Holy Spirit. John the Baptist said that Jesus will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire. Zechariah tells us that the temple will be built, "not by might nor by power (of men), but by My Spirit, says the Lord of Hosts." It then stands to reason that the latter temple (New Testament church) would be built by the Holy Spirit. The fire of the Spirit is first purifying, and then the power of the Spirit will be demonstrated through those who are baptized by the Holy Spirit.

It is interesting to me that Elisha sent Naaman to the Jordan River to dip seven times. When Naaman finally did this, he was wonderfully and completely healed. (2 Kings chapter 5) This event was a foreshadowing of the baptism of the Holy Spirit for those New Covenant believers who would seek the promise of the Father.

Jesus Himself was baptized in the Jordan when the Holy Spirit came upon Him in the form of a dove. (Matthew 3:16) He then told His disciples to wait for the promise of the Father before they left Jerusalem (Acts 1:4) and then He said: Acts 1:8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."

The seven spirits of God must, therefore, be the One Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:4) who will manifest in the believer's life in seven distinct ways. If we will allow the Holy Spirit to do seven works in our lives, He will bring us into God's completed work, His perfection, in the likeness of Jesus, in the fullness of the Spirit.

These are the seven facets or manifestations of the Holy Spirit in the believer's life:

1. The Spirit of Justification: "...you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." We are all justified because of God's grace and by our faith, and it is the Spirit of God who draws us and empowers us to acknowledge Jesus as our Lord and Savior (1 Corinthians 12:3). This is the first work of the Spirit when one is born again. (1 Corinthians 6:11) And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

2. The Spirit of Sanctification: 2 Thessalonians 2:13, "...God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth." Sanctification is the process of God's grace by which the believer is separated from sin, purified by life lived in the Spirit. (Galatians 5:16, 25 and Romans 8:1-14) The fruit of the Spirit will begin to manifest as we yield to the process of sanctification.

3. The Spirit of Life: Romans 8:2, "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death." This is the Spirit of adoption (Romans 8:15) which makes us the sons of God (Romans 8:16-19). We can now live in the resurrection power of Christ where the operation of the gifts of the Spirit cause our lives to become supernatural. The Spirit will give life to our mortal bodies. Healing and strength will come into our bodies of flesh (Romans 8:11) as well as giving us a glorified body in that day.

4. The Spirit of Truth: John 14:17 "The Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." The truth will set us free. The truth will bring revelation knowledge as we are taught by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of truth will reveal Jesus to us (John 15:26). Vision will be given to lead us into all truth and reveal the kingdom to us. Deception will be removed, and the lies destroyed.

5. The Spirit of Wisdom: Ephesians 1:17, "That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him." Not only will the Spirit give us a knowledge of Jesus, but it will give us insight into His mind and what He is doing (1 Corinthians 2:6-16). The Holy Spirit is our teacher (John 14:26).

6. The Spirit of Deliverance: Matthew 12:28 "But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you." It is by the power of the Holy Spirit that we are delivered from sin and by that same Spirit demons are cast out and the powers of darkness are defeated.

7. The Spirit of Prayer: Romans 8:26, "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." Ephesians 6:18 tells us that all prayer should be done in the Spirit.

These are the seven profound works that the Holy Spirit will do in our lives. If we allow Him to do these works in and through us, He will perfect us. There are other names of the Holy Spirit in scripture such as the Spirit of holiness, burning, etc. However, they will all be identified in the seven functions which I have listed.

May each of us seek to serve the Master and yield to these seven functions of the Holy Spirit who will change us from glory to glory into the same image of completion and fullness that our Lord Jesus Christ gave us example of.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
On the road less traveled

I believe the one spirit of God is capable of a multi-faceted attributes, to which there are many, many ways for that spirit to be demonstrated, but the one way we know that the spirit of God is moving in one's life are the fruits of the spirit.

As far as a spirit that is not of God, of course there is our own spirit, but I do believe that as Jesus cast out spirits, many times they manifested themselves as legion. There is no scripture to my knowledge that demonstrates just how many demons can be present in one person's life.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

Mar 5:9 And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

I dunno though, the way this board interprets scripture, "many" may mean "one" depending on what the person wishes for the passage to say. Eisegesis of scripture is running rampant.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind

why is it that a holy ghost person can still have evil thoughts come into mind from heart/spirit? doesn't john refer to "the seed that remains", like the hg being a part of our spirit?
Man is a triune being, a trichotomy. Man is:

Body (Gk. Soma) - Physical aspect of man.

Soul (Gk. Psuche, origin of "psyche") - The mind, the seat of thought and emotion.

Spirit (Gk. Pneuma, breath) - The essence of life, breath...or "life force"

A believer with the Holy Ghost is one spirit with the Lord. But a man's soul, or "mind", must be renewed through study, preaching, and meditation rooted in the word of God. This aligns man's mind and spirit. Sinful thoughts and actions originate from the soul's desire/habit to please the flesh. Guilt, conviction, and shame are the result of a believer's thoughts, desires, and/or actions not being aligned with one's new spiritual nature through the Holy Ghost.

That's why a believer can be one spirit with the Lord and still have sinful thoughts and desires to overcome.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-19-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

There is the person who was possessed by a "legion" of demons.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Man is a triune being, a trichotomy. Man is:

Body (Gk. Soma) - Physical aspect of man.

Soul (Gk. Psuche, origin of "psyche") - The mind, the seat of thought and emotion.

Spirit (Gk. Pneuma, breath) - The essence of life, breath...or "life force"

A believer with the Holy Ghost is one spirit with the Lord. But a man's soul, or "mind", must be renewed through study, preaching, and meditation rooted in the word of God. This aligns man's mind and spirit. Sinful thoughts and actions originate from the soul's desire/habit to please the flesh. Guilt, conviction, and shame are the result of a believer's thoughts, desires, and/or actions not being aligned with one's new spiritual nature through the Holy Ghost.

That's why a believer can be one spirit with the Lord and still have sinful thoughts and desires to overcome.

aquila, you make interesting points. i am not disagreeing with you just trying to get my understanding correct. jesus said evil thoughts come from the heart. there is another verse that says the holy spirit is poured into our hearts. i've talked with blume about whether our carnal nature is soul or spirit. i don't see how being one spirit with the lord is compatible with evil thoughts from the heart if heart and spirit is synonymous, your interpretation of i cor 6:17 is tantalizing for believers in mystical union with god, but i believe in communion between person and holy spirit, not sure what to make of that verse or how that affects my views.

Last edited by Dedicated Mind; 02-20-2012 at 08:03 AM.