Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:46 PM

17 Kids and Counting

I have been away for a while, and so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this TV Show. It is about a family with 17 kids, natural born between one man and one woman (pregnant with number 18) and they look EXACRY Like Apostolics.

I believe they do church in the home, no TV, and all the other stuff, but ironically they have their own little real-life TV show.

Does anyone know anything about this family and what they believe. Seeing their every day lives, they could be Apostolic, except for the most part everyone is always happy and smiling...

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/17-kids-...ar-family.html
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Re: 17 Kids and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
I have been away for a while, and so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this TV Show. It is about a family with 17 kids, natural born between one man and one woman (pregnant with number 18) and they look EXACRY Like Apostolics.

I believe they do church in the home, no TV, and all the other stuff, but ironically they have their own little real-life TV show.

Does anyone know anything about this family and what they believe. Seeing their every day lives, they could be Apostolic, except for the most part everyone is always happy and smiling...http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/17-kids-...ar-family.html
Well, yeah, but so were the Stepford wives...

Anyhow, I have friends that move in the same (religious) circles as they do, they are of the "house church" movement. They have a lot of similar beliefs as far as "standards" go, but I think the theology is very different.

Actually, the group that my friends are in live a VERY separated lifestyle, much more than most UC apostolics, with a few variations. They do believe in cutting the hair (trimming), and simple jewelery, but all of them home school and keep their children completely away from any outside influences.

Most believe in the "courtship" method of teenagers dating, it is a lot like arranged marriages. They like to have their own businesses, working for other people or companies is not common.

It is a very odd group from the outside looking in, but I do know that my friends are some of the most godly people that I know. It also has given me greater perspective on how the rest of the world sees traditional Apostolics.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyde View Post

Anyhow, I have friends that move in the same (religious) circles as they do, they are of the "house church" movement. They have a lot of similar beliefs as far as "standards" go, but I think the theology is very different.

Actually, the group that my friends are in live a VERY separated lifestyle, much more than most UC apostolics, with a few variations. They do believe in cutting the hair (trimming), and simple jewelery, but all of them home school and keep their children completely away from any outside influences.

Most believe in the "courtship" method of teenagers dating, it is a lot like arranged marriages. They like to have their own businesses, working for other people or companies is not common.

It is a very odd group from the outside looking in, but I do know that my friends are some of the most godly people that I know. It also has given me greater perspective on how the rest of the world sees traditional Apostolics.
What is the difference in their doctrine?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think in one of the first documentaries they mentioned being fundamental baptists in belief. Not exactly sure what that is. I do know in the area I grew up there was an extremely large baptist church (20,000 members) that had a similar holiness standard. They wore skirts, but could wear moderate makeup, trim their hair, and wear minimal jewelry. The men had extremely short hair, no facial hair, and no shorts.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blsdbeyondmsure View Post
I think in one of the first documentaries they mentioned being fundamental baptists in belief. Not exactly sure what that is. I do know in the area I grew up there was an extremely large baptist church (20,000 members) that had a similar holiness standard. They wore skirts, but could wear moderate makeup, trim their hair, and wear minimal jewelry. The men had extremely short hair, no facial hair, and no shorts.
We have "Bible Baptists" in this area and they are extremely strict - moreso than a lot of Pentecostal churches. They also are VERY evangelistic, even to the point of knocking doors and trying to tell you that you're not saved if you don't hold to Eternal Security. They also put their little kids in the parking lots of stores to hand out tracts.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
We have "Bible Baptists" in this area and they are extremely strict - moreso than a lot of Pentecostal churches. They also are VERY evangelistic, even to the point of knocking doors and trying to tell you that you're not saved if you don't hold to Eternal Security. They also put their little kids in the parking lots of stores to hand out tracts.
Anybody see "Jesus Camp"? SOunds like that.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I have a sister like this - Baptist. Not the handing out tracts thing, but the "more strict" than we are. She used to criticize me and my beliefs years ago. Now she is more strict with her kids and the way they live than I have ever been.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
In a CBS article I read, they said they were very conservative baptists.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I do what's right in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyde View Post

In one episode they asked one of the girls why they all had long hair, and she answered "My Dad just likes long hair on girls".

I liked that, that she didn't try to spiritualize it.

My Mom and I watch the show together all the time.

We keep wondering which of the kids are going to rebel. I mean the more you have, the better the chance, ya know?

My vote is on John-David, simply because he is almost never shown on the show, probably because he is out dating, and listen to Contemporary Christian music, or some other craziness

Seriously though, I get the same feeling watching that show as I do reading Anne of Green Gables, or watching Little House on the Prairie, where I think "Awww....isn't that sweet...wouldn't it be great to live like that....."

And then I remember my ipod, and the internet, and the microwave and I think, Nahhhh...I am content where I am. In the case of the Duggars, I simply remember that I am childless feminist, lol.

~Mark Twain
Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Own Eyes View Post
In one episode they asked one of the girls why they all had long hair, and she answered "My Dad just likes long hair on girls".
But, what do the girls like? Is it all about what Dad likes?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~