Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Matthew 18:19

I would like your thoughts and input on this Scripture, please.

Matthew 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Re: Matthew 18:19

Anyone?
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Banned

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Jesus Christ will honor his promise if they gather in his name.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Covenant Apostolic

The subject of the passage is offences. If there is an offense and your brother won't hear you and reconcile, then you should take it to the church for judgment.

Matthew 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ.: Baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus in 1982.

His NAME is Jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Jesus Christ will honor his promise if they gather in his name.
Beloved, you would do well to read the full chapter to arrive at the most
appropriate (and righteous) conclusion.

Under the Law, Jesus told the witness who was without sin to cast the first
stone. That means that only the "righteous" could stone a "sinner". And
there were no takers. Why? Because if it was found that an unrighteous
person cast a stone in judgment, that person was subject to the very same
punishment (stoning)!

In the same vein, God promises to hear two persons agreeing to a petition
if they would pray, "...according to His will...". Once more, it requires two
or more righteous men to pray.

Brother Villa
Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
The subject of the passage is offences. If there is an offense and your brother won't hear you and reconcile, then you should take it to the church for judgment.

Matthew 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Ok, yes, this is how I see it, too. The reason I asked is because for over 30 years our church has claimed that you could ask the Lord for anything, and if you have a brother or sister agree with you, it will happen.

This is an example of Scripture being taken out of context and misused. In all those years I never thought to double check it, but yesterday it caught my eye and was so surprised that a huge church like mine, with a internationally known pastor and Bible teacher, would abuse the Scripture in this way.

This isn't the only example I've discovered in the past few years. It shakes me to the core when this happens.

I've read my Bible through many times, have taught Bible Studies for years and have won many to the Lord, so I'm not a newbie at this. Just a heads up to always keep the Word in the correct context and check things out for yourself.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post

Exactly.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 01-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Banned

So this only covers asking forgiveness?
Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Banned

Could it possibly mean God will answer anything if we first forgive?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

So this only covers asking forgiveness?
Well, in context it the topic is forgiving.

The problem is that Scriptures are pulled out of the Bible and used in ways that they were not meant; out of context. In so doing, people are hurt, they question their faith, and wonder why the prayers aren't answered. I can't tell you how many times the congregation was called up front and told to join hands with someone to agree together for their answers, quoting this Scripture, but without it having anything whatsoever to do with forgiving. More "name it and claim it" type thing.

God doesn't need people to twist His Word to make it sound better than what it is.

This kind of thing lowers people's trust in the ministry.