Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

The opposite to WORDLY

The opposite to wordly is spiritual.
The new testament some times uses the word soul or other words derivative from the word soul.
So the opposite to Spiritual is Carnal right?
Lets look how Carnal has nothing to do with the "desires of the body" and there is nothing wrong with the body ,but the problem is the desires of the soul!
Judas 19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but [is] earthly, sensual, devilish.
James 3:15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but [is] earthly, sensual, devilish.
1 Cor.2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.

NATURALS MAN/SENSUAL :ψυχικός psuchikos (psď-chiy-kos')
1. (properly) soulish, pertaining to the soul. [Add “soulish” to your scriptural vocabulary; not yet in the English dictionary].
2. that which is motivated and controlled through the soul.
3. (by implication) worldy, focused on the natural senses, the world, and internal motivations (various instincts, needs, and wants).
4. (by extension) natural, sensual (as directly opposed to spiritual).

What are your thoughts? Are we today's confusing the things that feed our soul with the spiritual things?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: The opposite to WORDLY

I thought the opposite to "wordly" would be quiet? Sparse? Perspicuous? Silent? Short'n'to-the-point?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-19-2018, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

You make a very good point here. I recall reading Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee and he explained how some characteristics, such as emotions, which we consider spiritual should actually be classified as soulish. I always wondered why that word was not found in the Bible being the adjective of soul. Well it is as you cited, but as translated natural or sensual. I think this illustrates that the soul is not inherently an immortal element or component of our being but rather is the natural creature which needs to come under the influence of the spirit.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
You make a very good point here. I recall reading Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee and he explained how some characteristics, such as emotions, which we consider spiritual should actually be classified as soulish. I always wondered why that word was not found in the Bible being the adjective of soul. Well it is as you cited, but as translated natural or sensual. I think this illustrates that the soul is not inherently an immortal element or component of our being but rather is the natural creature which needs to come under the influence of the spirit.
Yes ,some people (like Orthodox Monks) think as the body is the source of the sinful desire. That is why they have rules like "Collosians 2:21-23" Paul explains.(the body alone is not sinful)
The second point (and fact) is that the soul ,thus the inner self! is the source of sinful desires, (but the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit)

The 3d point is that Paul uses the word (Psychikos) opposite from Greeks.
Greeks knew that the man is Soul and body so they used that word to describe the "spiritual man) but Paul uses that Word for the carnal man!
Todays too in my country when somebody knows many things, writes music, writes books, looks at movies etc they say "His a man of Spirit"!