Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Community: How I teach "standards" to our church.

Quote:
Community
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Community (disambiguation).
The word community is derived from the Latin communitas (meaning the same), which is in turn derived from communis, which means "common, public, shared by all or many".[1] Communis comes from a combination of the Latin prefix com- (which means "together") and the word munis (which has to do with performing services).

In biological terms, a community is a group of interacting organisms sharing an environment. In human communities, intent, belief, resources, preferences, needs, risks and a number of other conditions may be present and common, affecting the identity of the participants and their degree of cohesiveness. Traditionally in sociology, a "community" has been defined as a group of interacting people living in a common location. The word is thus often used to mean an urban community. However, the definition of the word has evolved and been enlarged to mean individuals who share characteristics, regardless of their location or type of interaction.

We live in a world of communities.

There is a world community, a national community, a state community, a county community and a municipal community that all Americans are part of. Add to this our social communities such as Jaycees, Boy Scouts, Kiwanis, athletic clubs, churches and - most important - our families.

Within each community there are set standards of acceptable behavior. Morality is defined by a collective group think that is the sum total of the community's traditions, history, purpose and will.

The local church is a community. Our standards of acceptable behaviors should be formed from the following sources.

1. The Word of God.

All Christian ideals housed within the Word of God are non-negotiable. And if one wishes to be part of the local assembly they must adhere to the Word of God will all appropriate effort.

2. Geographical Morality.

There are, within each geographical community, certain moral expectations. A person may dress much differently in Africa than in metro-Dallas with varying degress of acceptance from the local community. What is morally repugnant to some Africans may be completely acceptable to most Americans. The opposite is true, also.

This concept is true within America as well. Some things may be acceptable in California that would never be accepted in Iowa. The local church must be aware of it's Geographical Morality.

3. Church History.

All traditions are not evil. It is good to hold onto tradition. However, it is wrong to do so at the expense of Truth. Traditions that do not subvert the intent of God's Word are a strong connecting cord. Contrarily, mandated adherance to extra-Biblical traditions are an unessential burden that distracts all Christ's disciples from their mission.

4. Mission.

How will the way I dress affect those in and out of the church? How will I be perceived? How will the way I act affect my community? It may be that I need to give up some things that are not necessarily sinful, in order to exist in a peaceful community, and in order to win my world.

Each local assembly has the right to create its own flavor of twenty-first century Christianity. Each local assembly is different. Special. Unique. Each local assembly has its own set of priorities. Its own look. Its own feel.

Each local assembly is a thriving community.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Re: Community: How I teach "standards" to our chur

I like iT!

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Sister Alvear

good post...thanks

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post

There is a world community, a national community, a state community, a county community and a municipal community that all Americans are part of. Add to this our social communities such as Jaycees, Boy Scouts, Kiwanis, athletic clubs, churches and - most important - our families.

Within each community there are set standards of acceptable behavior. Morality is defined by a collective group think that is the sum total of the community's traditions, history, purpose and will.

The local church is a community. Our standards of acceptable behaviors should be formed from the following sources.

1. The Word of God.

All Christian ideals housed within the Word of God are non-negotiable. And if one wishes to be part of the local assembly they must adhere to the Word of God will all appropriate effort.

There are, within each geographical community, certain moral expectations. A person may dress much differently in Africa than in metro-Dallas with varying degress of acceptance from the local community. What is morally repugnant to some Africans may be completely acceptable to most Americans. The opposite is true, also.

This concept is true within America as well. Some things may be acceptable in California that would never be accepted in Iowa. The local church must be aware of it's Geographical Morality.

3. Church History.

All traditions are not evil. It is good to hold onto tradition. However, it is wrong to do so at the expense of Truth. Traditions that do not subvert the intent of God's Word are a strong connecting cord. Contrarily, mandated adherance to extra-Biblical traditions are an unessential burden that distracts all Christ's disciples from their mission.

4. Mission.

How will the way I dress affect those in and out of the church? How will I be perceived? How will the way I act affect my community? It may be that I need to give up some things that are not necessarily sinful, in order to exist in a peaceful community, and in order to win my world.

Each local assembly has the right to create its own flavor of twenty-first century Christianity. Each local assembly is different. Special. Unique. Each local assembly has its own set of priorities. Its own look. Its own feel.

Can you imagine how long it takes for a new church plant to develop it's own identity and sense of community?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:

1. The Word of God.

There are, within each geographical community, certain moral expectations. A person may dress much differently in Africa than in metro-Dallas with varying degress of acceptance from the local community. What is morally repugnant to some Africans may be completely acceptable to most Americans. The opposite is true, as well.

3. Church History.

4. Mission.

Pastor P did you actually say this? This is so wise I had to make sure it was you that said this..lol.

One thing is for certain whether you agree with Pastor P or not you must admit he is an honest an genuine man. I think this is a great statement though.

Traditions are not a horrible thing. Traditions preached as doctrine or rights and wrong are horrible. Like P said there are traditions everywhere that if you meet them it is easier to fit in. Unfortunately, tradition often times out weigh a personal relationship with the King. In the Holy Clothing thread I mentioned about a church that the pastor preachs against name brands and such. That is the culture and tradition at that church. The first time I visited the girl I dated there I was wearing and Tommy Hillfiger polo with a small emblem on it. I was talked to by the pastors family and I did not even attend that church. They actually made it tough on the girl that I had worn that shirt. Traditions can be some of the most harmful things out there. It is very dangerous to peoples health and well-being to frame a persons life around traditions alone.

I saw an interview with some of the young men that left the FLDS sect in TX and became drunkards and drug users. They stepped away from their tradition and the foundation was gone. IF tradition is the foundation it will be tough to stand once you have had a paradigm shift.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Can you imagine how long it takes for a new church plant to develop it's own identity and sense of community?
Church culture, you either have it by purpose or by default. One or the other.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:

1. The Word of God.

3. Church History.

4. Mission.

Hmm, I thought this would get more response.

I guess it wasn't controversial enough?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hmm, I thought this would get more response.

I guess it wasn't controversial enough?
Nope. Unfortunately, it's balanced enough that most folks probably agree with you.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Jesus is the Christ

PP

I like the post. Do you think denominational standards can get in the way of this process?
If ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Mone me, amabo te, si erro

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Kevin J. Conner The Name of God p. 92
Old 06-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkstokes View Post
PP

I like the post. Do you think denominational standards can get in the way of this process?
Yes, and no.

I don't think all denominational standards are bad. I think many of them are needed. I also do not think it's wrong for a church to have its own look, voice and feel. This may mean that a pastor has a different set of expectations than his neighboring pastor 10 miles down the road. Is he wrong? Not necessarily, He may just have a different focus.

Christianity should not demand homogenization.