Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Re: Current UPC article of faith and TV/theaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
It's not so much a personal gripe with him. We met at church for morning prayer today. It's mainly the thought of our church in upc but doesn't follow the aof but signs an afs saying they will. I've been wondering how that works, brought it up here for input because I could be looking at it wrong.
Here is how it works: I held a license with the UPCI when the affirmation statement was first imposed upon the ministry. Once the news of it began to spread amongst the rank and file, many good men began making plans to exodus the organization. As I recall, in order to quell the dissention in the ranks, headquarters mailed out a letter from Bro. Urshan giving “the consummate interpretation and explanation” of the affirmation statement. In the following excerpts you can see how many ministers, including myself, could sign the AF knowing they didn’t fully indorse every jot and tittle of the AF.

“The resolution does not give any added powers to officials. If a minister believes our message, all he must do is sign the annual statement. If he does, no official can take any action against him, except under the provisions of our Constitution and Judicial Procedure that already exist. There is no provision for contesting a signed statement.
The resolution does not allow officials to impose private interpretations of holiness standards. The only person who interprets the statement is the minister himself. If he honestly embraces the principles described in the two sections of the Articles of Faith, then he can and should sign the statement. No one can challenge his signature on the basis of personal interpretations and applications.
Some people have argued that the resolution will impose controversial views on subjects such as long sleeves, wedding rings, hair arrangement, church softball games, facial hair, skating rinks, and so on. Neither the resolution nor the statement, nor the Articles of Faith mention these subjects. The Articles of Faith mention matters such as immodest dress, worldly sports, and unwholesome music, but the specific definition and application of these principles have always been left to the individual pastor and saint.
Moreover, the methods by which a pastor seeks to convert and disciple people who attend his church is in his discretion. Nothing in the resolution changes these prerogatives.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

I grew up in the UPC. My father has been a licensed UPC minister for 60 years now. He was a District Home Missions Director and Foreign Missions Director for over a dozen years when I was younger. My mother was a District Ladies President. My brother has been a licensed UPC minister for at least 25 years now (man, time really flies!).

But I made a decision a long time ago to not become licensed with any organization. Reading the AOF and parts of the General Constitution was a reminder why I made that decision.

I fellowship and have attended various UPC churches and other Oneness Pentecostal churches, but I'm not interested in becoming licensed with anyone. There's no biblical requirement for it.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Hmmmm...Well, this is what you posted on page 3...

So referring to the local shepherd as "dishonest" is not a gripe? Interesting...

You haven't been reading my posts or not getting it.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

IF you watch TV at HOME there is nothing about watching a MOVIE at a THEATRE. They don't serve BEER they do not SMOKE inside so what is the problem???? The internet if full of DEEP DARK WEB stuff.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
right, its is saying to use media responsibly, in accordance with Godly conduct.

So content would be a violation not a ban. Many violate the content ban.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
So content would be a violation not a ban. Many violate the content ban.
A famous evangelist once said "who you are in the dark is who you really are"

People need to pray through and have a relationship with God so that Jesus is their Pastor
Old 02-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
You haven't been reading my posts or not getting it.
lol I've been reading your posts, sir...I quoted one of them. You are the one not getting it. All of your questions aside, if you have a gripe with your pastor, a public forum is not the venue for it.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
lol I've been reading your posts, sir...I quoted one of them. You are the one not getting it. All of your questions aside, if you have a gripe with your pastor, a public forum is not the venue for it.
Subjective

Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Subjective
Bro, it really isn't, because we don't know this guy. You say he is a good man, but then you allude that he is a hypocrite. Also the man isn't a member here to give his side of the story. I can't even suggest you drop it, because you already busted the pillow, and the feathers are everywhere. Here is a tiny view of what you posted, preacher is in the UPCI. Preacher signs a statement that he won't own a television in his home or go to a movie theatre, yet he does anyway even after he signed it. What do you want us to say? Honestly, do the math.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Bro, it really isn't, because we don't know this guy. You say he is a good man, but then you allude that he is a hypocrite. Also the man isn't a member here to give his side of the story. I can't even suggest you drop it, because you already busted the pillow, and the feathers are everywhere. Here is a tiny view of what you posted, preacher is in the UPCI. Preacher signs a statement that he won't own a television in his home or go to a movie theatre, yet he does anyway even after he signed it. What do you want us to say? Honestly, do the math.

You're not reading either, I didn't say he has TV. Or go to theaters. I was "wondering" about how our church does tv and theaters but in the UPC with the AF being signed. I was thinking is that being dishonest or am I looking at it wrong. Folks could get this is they would comprehend what I wrote, maybe I wasn't clear enough.