Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Creativity Creating Chaos

I apologize for the cheesy subject line, but I couldn't resist the alliteration.

If you're on Facebook or Twitter, I'm sure you've noticed the influx of quotes being created and retweeted over and over again. My question is why are we creating "inspirational" quotes? Is the Word no longer sufficient?

Along the same lines - there is a popular evangelist that I follow on Twitter and Facebook. He is constantly talking about creativity and creating new things, new techniques. I believe this kind of thinking is allowing popular culture and worldly media to creep into our congregations. Shouldn't we be allowing ourselves to be inspired by the DIVINELY-inspired Word of God rather than being inspired by someone else's own creativity? Just a thought.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Re: Creativity Creating Chaos

To add a bit, I heard this minister preach at our church one time where he never used a SINGLE scripture as reference. Just used historical research and current-day gimmicks to get his point across. It was all a lot of hype and emotionalism.

My pastor, on the other hand, will use upwards of 30 verses on any given Sunday to teach a message. I believe it's an excellent check and balance system.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

I think I understand the concern about not using scripture (or enough scripture) when teaching but am having a hard time understanding the rest of your thoughts. Is it you assertion that musicians, authors, all manner of other artists, and even chefs, are being too creative?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthouston View Post
I apologize for the cheesy subject line, but I couldn't resist the alliteration.

If you're on Facebook or Twitter, I'm sure you've noticed the influx of quotes being created and retweeted over and over again. My question is why are we creating "inspirational" quotes? Is the Word no longer sufficient?

Along the same lines - there is a popular evangelist that I follow on Twitter and Facebook. He is constantly talking about creativity and creating new things, new techniques. I believe this kind of thinking is allowing popular culture and worldly media to creep into our congregations. Shouldn't we be allowing ourselves to be inspired by the DIVINELY-inspired Word of God rather than being inspired by someone else's own creativity? Just a thought.

What are your thoughts on this?
Often "inspirational quotes" mirror the word of God or some principle in the word of God. It's a tool even Paul used

Tit 1:12 One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
Tit 1:13 This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,

Though this is not inspirational, he uses something extra biblical that mirrors the word of God (do not lie)

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthouston View Post
To add a bit, I heard this minister preach at our church one time where he never used a SINGLE scripture as reference. Just used historical research and current-day gimmicks to get his point across. It was all a lot of hype and emotionalism.

My pastor, on the other hand, will use upwards of 30 verses on any given Sunday to teach a message. I believe it's an excellent check and balance system.
What was he teaching on? History?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
What was he teaching on? History?
Maybe he was teaching fulfilled eschatology!