Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Re: What's Cooking for Thanksgiving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
We are planning to have about 20 adults at our house for Thanksgiving. We have family and friends and invite several who do not have family to celebrate the holiday with. I am doing the meats and desserts. Others are bringing the veggies.
I will be cooking a turkey, ham and tenderloin with the gravy. I also do the cornbread dressing at my husband's request and a green salad. For dessert I am making: Rum cake, Chocolate cake, left over Italian Cream Cheese cake, and a sugar free Chocolate /strawberry triffle. Others are bringing: string beans, mac and cheese, mustard greens, squash casserole, congealed salad, sweet potato casserole. I always panic a couple of days before the holiday and cook up a couple of extra casseroles just to make sure we have enough.
WOW...you are very ambtious, it all sounds wonderful!
When do you start the preperations?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Not riding the train

Fun to cook for a crowd Margie and Blubayou!! Looks like you have a nice spread on the way!

This is a good alternative to pecan pie. I like it because it doesn't use corn syrup. Seems like Thanksgiving has to have a pecan dessert.

Pecan Squares

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup butter
3 tablespoons whipping cream
3 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Preparation

Sift together 2 cups flour and 2/3 cup powdered sugar. Cut in 3/4 cup softened butter using a pastry blender or fork just until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pat mixture on bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool.

Bring brown sugar, honey, 2/3 cup butter, and whipping cream to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in pecans, and pour hot filling into prepared crust.

Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Cool completely before cutting into 2-inch squares.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Have you ever tried Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce? It's awesome! I'm using it today on chicken and steaks. It has a nice spicy bite to it.
Any certain brand? And how much does it BITE?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
Any certain brand? And how much does it BITE?
Any brand is great. It's about twice as high as regular BBQ sauce. It's not too much of a bite, but if you know people won't like that at all, I wouldn't use it. Yesterday, I lost one of my Jalapenos on the grill. My husband found it in a bite of his chicken. LOL! That didn't go over very well. I don't know how he didn't see it! It's not my fault!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Any brand is great. It's about twice as high as regular BBQ sauce. It's not too much of a bite, but if you know people won't like that at all, I wouldn't use it. Yesterday, I lost one of my Jalapenos on the grill. My husband found it in a bite of his chicken. LOL! That didn't go over very well. I don't know how he didn't see it! It's not my fault!
Okay. Yeah, I can see how you might lose a pepper here and there.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Okay. Yeah, I can see how you might lose a pepper here and there.
LOL! He said he is NOT eating Papas Aplastadas. "We are having mashed potatoes and gravy and Cornbread dressing." OKAY!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
LOL! He said he is NOT eating Papas Aplastadas. "We are having mashed potatoes and gravy and Cornbread dressing." OKAY!!!
That's right Mister Pressing-On.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
That's right Mister Pressing-On.
Don't get Ferd started!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Girl, I was talking in my sleep the other night about taking some peppers to my brother-in-law. Because he had cooked a pot of beans, and made cornbread. We are still harvesting peppers from our garden. They must have been on my mind.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Don't get Ferd started!!!
That's who made me think of that......