Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-19-2020, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Re: Charismatic Sweep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Okay. I thought you were talking about Oneness A/P churches.

In my experience with "Charismatic churches," they believe in tongues (most call it "prayer language") but they believe it's just an added benefit for a believer rather than a necessity for salvation. And baptism is merely a person getting dunked in front of people to prove their decision to follow Christ.

For them it's like buying a car. There's the base model (salvation at repentance), and then you can add upgrades if you want (not necessary, but available).

I spoke with an "Executive Pastor" of a church nearby about their statement of faith and beliefs about salvation. I was told they believe in the new birth and believe everyone should have the new birth experience, BUT salvation is at repentance and they "strongly urge" believers to seek for the HG and exercise their "prayer language."

I asked him how he believed salvation at repentance was the new birth, since repentance = death, baptism = burial and the infilling of the HG = resurrection. I said there's no resurrection. There was a death, and most of the time there's a burial, but they're still in the grave. Some have attended for years and never sought after or received the HG because they don't believe it's necessary.

He said he understood my argument as he grew up in the Spanish Apostolic organization, but from reading scripture he believed salvation occurs at repentance, regardless of the "man-made symbolism" for the new birth.

Sad.
I spoke with an "Executive Pastor" of a church nearby about their statement of faith and beliefs about salvation.

This is going to be off topic, but when I saw this n-David, I had to bring it up. I was at a A/P church in Chicago (hometown) and they call the Pastors wife “First lady?” I heard it again several other times since then. When did that start happening?
Old 02-19-2020, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
I spoke with an "Executive Pastor" of a church nearby about their statement of faith and beliefs about salvation.

This is going to be off topic, but when I saw this n-David, I had to bring it up. I was at a A/P church in Chicago (hometown) and they call the Pastors wife “First lady?” I heard it again several other times since then. When did that start happening?
First Lady title has been around for years. Just a respectful title to call the pastors wife.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
First Lady title has been around for years. Just a respectful title to call the pastors wife.
I must be out of the loop. I know black church’s used to call their Pastors wife that. They probably still do.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:52 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Okay. I thought you were talking about Oneness A/P churches.

In my experience with "Charismatic churches," they believe in tongues (most call it "prayer language") but they believe it's just an added benefit for a believer rather than a necessity for salvation. And baptism is merely a person getting dunked in front of people to prove their decision to follow Christ.

For them it's like buying a car. There's the base model (salvation at repentance), and then you can add upgrades if you want (not necessary, but available).

I spoke with an "Executive Pastor" of a church nearby about their statement of faith and beliefs about salvation. I was told they believe in the new birth and believe everyone should have the new birth experience, BUT salvation is at repentance and they "strongly urge" believers to seek for the HG and exercise their "prayer language."

I asked him how he believed salvation at repentance was the new birth, since repentance = death, baptism = burial and the infilling of the HG = resurrection. I said there's no resurrection. There was a death, and most of the time there's a burial, but they're still in the grave. Some have attended for years and never sought after or received the HG because they don't believe it's necessary.

He said he understood my argument as he grew up in the Spanish Apostolic organization, but from reading scripture he believed salvation occurs at repentance, regardless of the "man-made symbolism" for the new birth.

Sad.
There are actually quite a few (although a minority) UPC churches that believe salvation occurs at repentance. It was a big ongoing topic here and on nFCF and FCF for years.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Seems...pretentious. Just my opinion.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-20-2020, 01:17 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Seems...pretentious. Just my opinion.
Yep
Old 02-20-2020, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Yep
Your were down in Texas, did you hear them call the Pastors wife, First Lady? Austin was of the places where I heard that.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I grew up around PAW, UPCI and ALJC. PAW was where I first heard the "First Lady" term used.
It has since wandered over to most Apostolic Pentecostal Churches.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I first heard the term used in PAW or black A/P churches. However, recently I've heard and seen the term used in other churches as well.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:09 PM
New User

Quote:
Your were down in Texas, did you hear them call the Pastors wife, First Lady? Austin was of the places where I heard that.
No. But I didn’t attend white church