Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Differences in Pastors

I was just thinking a little while ago about the different pastors I've sat under over the years. It's pretty amazing how I learned different things from different pastors. Not doctrinally. They were all pretty much the same. And not standard-wise. They all pretty much were the same there, too. Maybe some were a tiny bit more liberal than others, but they were close enough that the differences were negligible.

I'm not sure how to do this without naming names, so here goes:

My first pastor was Bro Fred Kinzie. But only for less than year and so new that I honestly can't say anything about this experience.

My next pastor was Bro Paul Dennis. In this case, I was very young (about 14 years old) and my parents were not in church at all, nor was anyone else in my family. So Bro Dennis really treated me like "one of his own". I was expected to follow the rules in the same ways that his daughter was, while other kids in the church were allowed to follow their parents rules. That used to bother me until I finally got it through my head that the reason he required these things of me was because he cared. He wasn't doing it to be mean. He seriously cared about my soul. So from him I learned that when you love your children, you expect things of them.

After that was Bro Roy Well. Bro Well taught me to pray, pray, pray. I learned the joy of spending time in the presence of my God. His requirement of anyone active in the church (SS teachers, those playing musical instruments, etc) was that they spend a minimum of 1/2 hr per day in prayer.

Then there was Bro Harold Roberts. He pastored a larger church than any of the others I had been in (except the Kinzie's). From my time under his leadership, I learned to stand on my own two feet. I learned that my experience needed to be MY experience.

And finally there was Bro Wm. Schaffner. From him I learned two things: the value of friendship and that it is still ok to question things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So tell me about your pastors and what you learned from them? Did they each have their own distinct styles and personalities? Can you tell us about it?

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS INTO A PASTOR BASHING THREAD!!! If you have something nasty to say, don't even post. Ok? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Re: Differences in Pastors

Just noticed this thread now.

Great thread Margie! Hopefully there'll be more posts here. I've remembered my pastors in a general sense many times on all the forums I've taken part in.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

From my current pastor, I have learned that the power of God is still at work in today's church. I have learned that a pastor can watch over you and still trust you and your walk with God.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

My first Pastor Glenn Akridge,taught me one must know what they believe and why they believe it,He also taught me the importance of reading the Bible all the way through.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I have sat under different Pastors in my life time. In my younger days it was due to moving and then in my older years due to being in the ministry and working with different men.

For me, every Pastor I've had has basically had the same views on Standards and Seperation. I grew up in the UPC in more of a moderate back ground. The churches I have been in have really all fell in that category. I am thankful for that.

But, what stands out to me is the personality differences of each man that I have either sat under or worked with. Some are good organizers others are NOT. Some are 'people' oriented, others NOT. Some were organizational minded, other not so much. But most differed by personality.

Great men....T.L Smith, Donald Bryan, W.H. Smith, Charles Curry.....Etc.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Christmas 2009

My pastors (that I remember):
My Grandpa Paul Kloepper
E. Ray Aldrich
Joseph Hedges
Robert Russell
Ernest Easton
(All of these were in Grayville, IL)

Tommy Craft (during JCM)
Bill Luther (Memphis years)
Eddie Cupples (My personal favorite!!!!)

I can honestly say that I learned from all of these men and their wives. They taught me the good, the bad, and the ugly of pastoring and being a pastor's wife. I have great respect for all of them.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
My pastors (that I remember):
My Grandpa Paul Kloepper
E. Ray Aldrich
Joseph Hedges
Robert Russell
Ernest Easton
(All of these were in Grayville, IL)

Tommy Craft (during JCM)
Bill Luther (Memphis years)
Eddie Cupples (My personal favorite!!!!)

I can honestly say that I learned from all of these men and their wives. They taught me the good, the bad, and the ugly of pastoring and being a pastor's wife. I have great respect for all of them.
Don't forget Bro. Digital Dougie

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 01-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

1. Rev. Keneth Fields - Oxnard, CA - 1977 - 1984
2. Rev. Kenneth Haney - Stockton, CA 1984 - 1996
3. Rev. Don Martin - Brownwood, TX - 1996 - 1997
4. Rev. Tom Foster - Dallas, TX - 1997 - 2003
5. Rev. D.G. Hargrove - Garland, TX - 2003 - Present

What I have been taught...mere words couldn't do it justice...