Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Saved by Grace

Decisions, Decisions

After being bombarded by mass glossy church mail outs, flyers, and full page newspaper advertisements about all the church giveaways this weekend, I posted this on Facebook, and figured I'd share it here, knowing this is always a place of various points of view:

Hmmm, where should I go to church tomorrow? Should I go to the church that is giving away an iPod? Or the one that is giving away an iPad? Maybe the church that is giving away flat screen TVs? Or maybe the one that is giving away a car? With all of these churches giving all these things away, I think I should skip out on my regular church, and try to win a car. Should I even bother with going to church? Seems like I could just as easily buy a lottery ticket for a chance to win something. No wonder Christianity isn’t taken serious. I don’t blame people who aren’t interested. Its like churches are down begging on their knees “please, please come and like us.” Like we are some desperate kid who is just begging for a date to prom, and will shamelessly do whatever has to be done to get someone to like us.

Since when did the church become The Price is Right? If the Spirit of God isn't drawing someone, then what do we expect an iPad to do? Maybe giving them a flat screen TV will make them turn to Jesus? And then all of a sudden they will be willing to surrender all, take up their cross daily, and follow Him? The same Jesus that turned to the multitude who were following Him and said “And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. ~Luke 14:27

I was just wondering if that was the same guy we were preaching about. The same one who told the multitudes that if they weren’t willing to love Him more than anyone else, they could not be His disciples. And if they weren’t willing to take up their cross daily, they could not be his disciples. The gospels are filled with Jesus preaching to people about the necessity of commitment.

Perhaps William Barclay summed it up best commenting on Mark 8:34-35 “There is an almost startling honesty of Jesus. No one could ever say that he was induced to follow Jesus by false pretenses. Jesus never tried to bribe men by the offer of an easy way.”

I think it is safe to say Jesus never tried to bribe a man, but can the same be said of some modern day churches? On a day to celebrate and proclaim the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the very message of the gospel, which is the only message of salvation to all people on the earth, is cheapened by Easter egg hunts, raffles, door prizes, and grand prizes. The cross of Christ is made of no effect. And what time is there for conviction (ref. Acts 2:37), when people are waiting for the prize drawings like the church is a common bingo hall?

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. ~1 Cor 1:18 If its foolishness to them, do our prizes change that?

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. ~John 6:44

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 AM

Re: Decisions, Decisions

Does seem about half pathetic.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
After being bombarded by mass glossy church mail outs, flyers, and full page newspaper advertisements about all the church giveaways this weekend, I posted this on Facebook, and figured I'd share it here, knowing this is always a place of various points of view:

Hmmm, where should I go to church tomorrow? Should I go to the church that is giving away an iPod? Or the one that is giving away an iPad? Maybe the church that is giving away flat screen TVs? Or maybe the one that is giving away a car? With all of these churches giving all these things away, I think I should skip out on my regular church, and try to win a car. Should I even bother with going to church? Seems like I could just as easily buy a lottery ticket for a chance to win something. No wonder Christianity isn’t taken serious. I don’t blame people who aren’t interested. Its like churches are down begging on their knees “please, please come and like us.” Like we are some desperate kid who is just begging for a date to prom, and will shamelessly do whatever has to be done to get someone to like us.

Since when did the church become The Price is Right? If the Spirit of God isn't drawing someone, then what do we expect an iPad to do? Maybe giving them a flat screen TV will make them turn to Jesus? And then all of a sudden they will be willing to surrender all, take up their cross daily, and follow Him? The same Jesus that turned to the multitude who were following Him and said “And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. ~Luke 14:27

I was just wondering if that was the same guy we were preaching about. The same one who told the multitudes that if they weren’t willing to love Him more than anyone else, they could not be His disciples. And if they weren’t willing to take up their cross daily, they could not be his disciples. The gospels are filled with Jesus preaching to people about the necessity of commitment.

Perhaps William Barclay summed it up best commenting on Mark 8:34-35 “There is an almost startling honesty of Jesus. No one could ever say that he was induced to follow Jesus by false pretenses. Jesus never tried to bribe men by the offer of an easy way.”

I think it is safe to say Jesus never tried to bribe a man, but can the same be said of some modern day churches? On a day to celebrate and proclaim the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the very message of the gospel, which is the only message of salvation to all people on the earth, is cheapened by Easter egg hunts, raffles, door prizes, and grand prizes. The cross of Christ is made of no effect. And what time is there for conviction (ref. Acts 2:37), when people are waiting for the prize drawings like the church is a common bingo hall?

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. ~1 Cor 1:18 If its foolishness to them, do our prizes change that?

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. ~John 6:44
The problem is that the 'church' isn't the Church.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Is there something wrong with giving things away to visitors to try to get then to come?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post

My pastor preached about this very subject today. You will be pleased to know that without giving away anything or any advertising we broke our attendance record today, our first Sunday in our new building.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
My pastor preached about this very subject today. You will be pleased to know that without giving away anything or any advertising we broke our attendance record today, our first Sunday in our new building.
Awesome.

Easter is the most attended service of the year anyway. It is a great oppertunity for the church to reach new people. I'm not suggesting otherwise. What I'm turned off by is the whole "come to our service we having an egg hunt' "come to our service, we're giving away an 2 iphones" "come to our service we're giving away 3 42" Flat screen TVs". "come here, we've got the best prizes in town" type mentality.

We have the one thing that the world really need, the powerful gospel of Jesus Christ, and we cheapen it tremendously by sending the message the best thing they can get out of our service is a TV. Hogwash. We alone have the words to eternal life, where else can they go to get that? If we just preached the message of the cross, the Spirit of God would work, and people will be saved.

I bet there are relatively zero true conversions (defined as life long, not someone who attends church for a few weeks off and on after Easter before fading away) when we make the church service about what we are giving away and Easter egg hunts, rather than about the resurrection of Jesus. There must be conviction for a sinner to be saved, but the whole thrust of the Easter service is "don't offend anyone" and "let's showcase our church". Blah. Love people, welcome people, but preach the Word, and be instant in season and out of season, come what may.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill

Last edited by Jason B; 03-31-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:58 PM
of 9!! :)

I've always heard that if it takes gimmicks to get someone
to come to church then it'll take gimmicks to keep them
coming from then on. Sad.

Quote:
If we just preached the message of the cross, the Spirit of God would work, and people will be saved.
AMEN!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM

I think that there is a reasonable chance, that when someone is "persuaded" into coming to a meeting of a church, be it thru giveaways or whatever, then there is a chance that a preacher, speaker, or even a singer can maybe say something that would pierce the heart of the visitor, be it thru the words of the gospel, be it thru a testimony of Gods powerful deliverance, or similar...maybe someone in a similar situation needing a similar deliverance, even tho they came there to win a 10 speed bike. Even if they came for a giveaway, cannot God still move on their hearts in a deep way, thru the preaching of the gospel, or testimony of a forgiven disciple?
I agree that once they're "lured in", at that time the Easter eggs and nonsense should be dropped, and let something like what I mentioned, and maybe even Gods conviction go to work on the sinner. I also believe that lifelong change can be accomplished in the right circumstances. Throw whatever bait (within reason?)it takes to get them to hear the gospel.

Kinda sad folks gotta be "lured in"...to hear the words of forgiveness, deliverance, and eternal life tho.

I think Paul did say "I became all things to all men, that some might be saved", or similar...not sure where exactly free big screens fits in

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 03-31-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
I've always heard that if it takes gimmicks to get someone
to come to church then it'll take gimmicks to keep them
coming from then on. Sad.

AMEN!

AMEN!!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

I wonder if Jesus would take a whip to the "churches" like He did at the temple...