Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

To Be Or Not To Be...Apostolic

In the time I have viewed and then posted on AFF, it has come to my attention that some rules apply here that apply in the church as a whole. Please check me if i am wrong.

1. Not every Apostolic is in the UPC and neither is everyone in the UPC Apostolic. (Same applies to AFF)

2. The term "Apostolic" is loosely defined and it's definition often seems to be up to the presenter.

3. Most, but not all, of the people who call themselves "Apostolic" do not accept a full blown Trinity of Three Persons manifested in Three Personalities who can have consultation and communion. The people who term themselves "Apostolic Pentecostal" tend to hold to a "Oneness" of God rather than a plurality.

4. The vast majority of members see the Day of Pentecost and Acts 2:38 as the pivotal moment of the church. There is debate as to whether salvation is complete with the repentance, is only completed by receiving the Holy Ghost, or some who sort of muddle in-between.

5. There is a GREAT variety of interpretation of lifestyle issues. Some see them as doctrine to be carried out in exacting manner. Others see them as principles to guide current choice-making.

6. Sadly, a large number seem to be concerned with what OTHER people think of what they think. It would seem to peer pressure, popularity, power, prestige, and plain old greed tend to influence some "scriptural" stances---ON BOTH SIDES.

7. Lastly, a large number from various factions, look very much to the external. Those of a more strict viewpoint look for things that make one look or act "Apostolic" and laud those items. The other faction looks for those exact same issues and condemn them as legalistic.

Is my assessment right?

Last edited by brianmidwest; 01-29-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
A Student of the Word

Re: To Be Or Not To Be...Apostolic

Got it right! There may be additional comments, but you captured the essence.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Loren Adkins

right to a fault now what are you going to do with the knowledge?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Sister Alvear

I enjoy posting because we are different! It is always good to see where others are coming from, what they believe and why they believe it.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 AM
On the road less traveled

I think you've hit all the major points that basically sum up Apostolics in general.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Loving God, His Word, His Name

I doubt the early church had all things in perfect agreement all the time. Scripture even declares Paul and Peter had a small conflict where Paul had to confront Peter. I believe though, that when we come together in the Spirit, those differences are seen in the light of His glory for what they really are, miniscule issues in light of Christ.

Some believe in hard cord standards, and some do not. Some believe in baptism in Jesus only, some in the name of Jesus Christ, some in the name of the Lord Jesus, and some in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Some are post-trib, mid-trib, pre-trib, or even partial preteist. When we look at issues in the light of Christ, the big things come to the forefron, and the smaller things can and usually do take a back seat.

Apostolic Defender Ministries
The Apostolic Defender Podcast on Spotify
Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Go Dodgers!

Apostolic has three meanings as far as I know

1) to refer to the doctrine of Apostolic succession

2) to refer to the doctrine of the Apostolic gifts

3) to refer to a group who claims to have rediscovered and obeyed the doctrine the Apostles taught originally in the book of acts but later to include perceives standards taught in the epistles

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
A Student of the Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Apostolic has three meanings as far as I know

1) to refer to the doctrine of Apostolic succession

2) to refer to the doctrine of the Apostolic gifts

3) to refer to a group who claims to have rediscovered and obeyed the doctrine the Apostles taught originally in the book of acts but later to include perceives standards taught in the epistles
I would add one more.

4) to refer to the doctrines of the second Apostle, Jesus, Moses being the 'first' (Hebrews 3:1-7).

While there were many appointed as apostles, the doctrines of all the earlier apostles are 'generally ignored', in favor of a few doctrines and opinions provided by two Apostles, Paul and Peter.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. Now here is the puzzling part, why can't WE (all of us) appreciate the areas were we agree, discuss the areas where we don't, and stop trying to lessen the life, thoughts, or work of our brothers and sisters?

What a shame! When we could do so much good if ALL of our efforts where coordinated; instead of in opposition.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Jellybean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmidwest View Post
Thanks for the input. Now here is the puzzling part, why can't WE (all of us) appreciate the areas were we agree, discuss the areas where we don't, and stop trying to lessen the life, thoughts, or work of our brothers and sisters?

What a shame! When we could do so much good if ALL of our efforts where coordinated; instead of in opposition.
How awesome that would be!!!