Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Go Dodgers!

Church of the Lord Jesus Christ Of the Apostolic F

Church of the Lord Jesus of The Apostolic Faith
In 1962, during the church's National and International Convention, he was elevated to the helm of the organization. His ordination came more than a year after the death of Bishop S. C. Johnson and lengthy court battles that were prompted from within the organization. Brother Shelton was elevated to Bishop and General Overseer of the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith at age 33.

http://tcljc.com/bio_bsms.html
Interesting beginnings

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Psalms 132:1

Re: Church of the Lord Jesus Christ Of the Apostol

IMO Shelton was never the preacher/orator that Bishop Johnson was.

DOCTOR Old Paths for all your spiritual needs.

STILL believing the same after all these years
Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
Yeah.
I'd say that's a pretty big one.
You know that shows you how big of impression Bishop Johnson had on the entire world. 47 years after his death people are still talking about his teachings. Wow!

Since this is my first post I would like to clarify something I saw on this board. Most people are quoting second hand stuff they heard from various tapes and people that probably never even sat under Bishop Johnson. Like every preacher for you to get an understanding of what he teaches you have to sit under him at least a year and not hear tapes.

Even though most people thought this man was crazy, we have to give it to him, he did have the largest Apostolic movement in his time. Why you may ask? Because he preached like he was sent straight out of heaven! Name one person today that preaches with that much boldness?

Unfornately I was not alive when he was around but for him to preach against things and then do those things himself like not watch TV, go to movies, wear only 4 colors, and etc. 90% of you would not give up half of those things to be saved. Bishop Johnson was after the Spirit of Christ. He was willing to give up all to follow him. I have more respect for Amish people than most Apostolic preachers today.

Now if these preachers were true men of God they would get off their high horse and try to get together.Until we all come in the unity of the spirit..) and form the one church that is suppose to be on one accord, speak the same thing, have all things common and the same mind!

God Bless

Bishop Johnson was right. Jesus is not currently the Son of God. Keyword: currently. Jesus was but is no more.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJones View Post
Bishop Johnson was right. Jesus is not currently the Son of God. Keyword: currently. Jesus was but is no more.
A couple of questions about Bishop Johnson's teachings:
1. When did Jesus become the Son of God?
2. When did Jesus cease being the Son of God?

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

I used to listen to Bishop Johnson on the radio years ago.
I also remember Bishop Shelton but I don't remember hearing him much.

There was a local church in Cincinnati which was part of this organization.
I never visited there but one day called it to see about when services were held. The woman who answered told me that they listened to tapes of Bishop Johnson or Bishop Shelton in their services. She told me "Some times we have Bishop Johnson and some times we have Bishop Shelton."

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
You know that shows you how big of impression Bishop Johnson had on the entire world. 47 years after his death people are still talking about his teachings. Wow!

Since this is my first post I would like to clarify something I saw on this board. Most people are quoting second hand stuff they heard from various tapes and people that probably never even sat under Bishop Johnson. Like every preacher for you to get an understanding of what he teaches you have to sit under him at least a year and not hear tapes.

Even though most people thought this man was crazy, we have to give it to him, he did have the largest Apostolic movement in his time. Why you may ask? Because he preached like he was sent straight out of heaven! Name one person today that preaches with that much boldness?

Unfornately I was not alive when he was around but for him to preach against things and then do those things himself like not watch TV, go to movies, wear only 4 colors, and etc. 90% of you would not give up half of those things to be saved. Bishop Johnson was after the Spirit of Christ. He was willing to give up all to follow him. I have more respect for Amish people than most Apostolic preachers today.

Now if these preachers were true men of God they would get off their high horse and try to get together.Until we all come in the unity of the spirit..) and form the one church that is suppose to be on one accord, speak the same thing, have all things common and the same mind!

God Bless

In a real sense tapes are not 'second hand'. If one hears the complete sermon that is equivalent to 'being there'.

- Groucho Marx
Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedDave View Post
In a real sense tapes are not 'second hand'. If one hears the complete sermon that is equivalent to 'being there'.
Yup. I was trying to figure out what makes him think listening to a tape of a sermon makes it any different than listening to it in person.

Of course live is always better but it does not change the content that is preached.

I also found it ironic that he said that and later said he was not alive when SC Johnson was. Obviously he must have only heard him on tape himself!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Bishop Johnson made his mark in his time. This poor uneducated black man from South Carolina built the largest Apostolic church in the world at that time AND the largest church building in Philly, also he built the first Apostolic radio network he was on 7 nights a week for an hour. He bought and built over 60 congregations across the nation. I listened to him as a boy. Shelton was a joke.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I believe the Gospel of Jesus

Quote:

God Bless

If doing those things would save him, then he didn't need a savour.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Lee

If you read Hebrews 10:12, Colossians 3:1,Hebrew 4:14-16.

If Jesus is NOT the son of God Now, Who is being referenced in the above scriptures? Don't be ignorant. Please read and get an understanding. Let God be true and every man a liar. All of the above scriptures were written many years after Jesus rose and ascended. If they were true then, they are still true now. Please search the scriptures and find one that states that Jesus Christ is NOT the son of God or where He ever ceased to be that.

Thanks