Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Very well stated. Obviously these could be part of a devotional book aimed at ladies. This reminds me of a book I have by LaJoyce Martin, "Coriander Seed and Honey".
On the other hand I now have an online daily devotional.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 06-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Thanks to Barb and Commonsense and Sis. Falla and CS and anyone else who has expressed appreciation and encouragement.

I remember one time Bro. Marler telling me that anybody could write a book. I didn't believe him at the time .... lol .... and questioned him about it. He said, "Sure they can. Everybody has a story to tell and we all have different ways of expressing ourselves and telling it but everyone has things to say and stories to tell."

Well I guess he's right, probably.

I do know that there are a number of people who have participated in the forum trinity of FCF, NFCF and now AFF who are definitely "writers" .... way much more so than I am. I just write a few thots mostly now and then. Some of you all are so talented - Barb being one of the number I'm talking about.

Guess it's not surprising there are so many "writers" on these forums. We all are communicating through "writing" our thoughts, opinions, beliefs, etc.

Guess that makes us ALL "writers".

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 06-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
Thanks to Barb and Commonsense and Sis. Falla and CS and anyone else who has expressed appreciation and encouragement.

I remember one time Bro. Marler telling me that anybody could write a book. I didn't believe him at the time .... lol .... and questioned him about it. He said, "Sure they can. Everybody has a story to tell and we all have different ways of expressing ourselves and telling it but everyone has things to say and stories to tell."

Well I guess he's right, probably.

I do know that there are a number of people who have participated in the forum trinity of FCF, NFCF and now AFF who are definitely "writers" .... way much more so than I am. I just write a few thots mostly now and then. Some of you all are so talented - Barb being one of the number I'm talking about.

Guess it's not surprising there are so many "writers" on these forums. We all are communicating through "writing" our thoughts, opinions, beliefs, etc.

Guess that makes us ALL "writers".
Thank you, sis, and you are right that we are all writers in a sense. When inspiration hits, the writing skills shine through. I have read some very inspirational posts on these forums, and your post on A Well of Joy is one of them.

We must understand something important re writing, and that is, just knowing how to turn a phrase is not inspiration...there is a difference. That's why people who may not even be towing the sanctification line can write and the undiscerning heart will think they have been ministered to.

But you know, girl...there are writers and then there are storytellers. These talented folk know how to paint a picture with words. We have a few here who do that, notably Coonskinner, Bro. Strange, Bro. Groce, Maple Leaf, rrford...you may be able to think of a few more.

At any rate, I appreciate your encouragement in my writing and in so many other areas as well.

Keep posting your thoughts as you feel to...as Renda pointed out, many more read than you probably realize and will be blessed in the process.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
We have a few here who do that, notably Coonskinner, Bro. Strange, Bro. Groce, Maple Leaf, rrford...you may be able to think of a few more.
You're right. I agree with this list:
  • Coonskinner
  • Bro. Groce
  • Bro. Strange
  • Maple Leaf
  • RRFord
I thought of a few more ......
  • Phil Jones - excellent and very descriptive (and humorous) story teller. Kind of in the same style as Coonskinner but CS can also lay the smack down when it comes to explaining Biblical principles and doctrine in a very clear and concise way.

• ForeverBlessed - I nicknamed her "Rambling Rose" 'cause she always joked about the fact that she rambles but her rambling is wonderful. I always enjoy reading what she writes.

• Sis. Alvear - the woman writes as natural as breathing I think. Very prolific writer. She needs to write a book someday about all her missions adventures.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
You're right. I agree with this list:
  • Coonskinner
  • Bro. Groce
  • Bro. Strange
  • Maple Leaf
  • RRFord
I thought of a few more ......
  • Phil Jones - excellent and very descriptive (and humorous) story teller. Kind of in the same style as Coonskinner but CS can also lay the smack down when it comes to explaining Biblical principles and doctrine in a very clear and concise way.

• ForeverBlessed - I nicknamed her "Rambling Rose" 'cause she always joked about the fact that she rambles but her rambling is wonderful. I always enjoy reading what she writes.

• Sis. Alvear - the woman writes as natural as breathing I think. Very prolific writer. She needs to write a book someday about all her missions adventures.
I agree...Mother A is wonderful, isn't she?!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Psalm of the Pastor's Wife

The pastor is my husband I shall not complain.

He maketh me to teach Sunday School and the young people's meetings,

He causes me to head the women's ministry. He entices me to lead the music so he doesn't have to.

Even though I walk through the attack of the hypocrites he stands behind me, I will fear no gossiping tongue. They cannot harm me.

I must stand at all dinners in the presence of mine enemies. The food I prepare will stand the test.

Surely patience and longsuffering will follow me all the days of my life as I dwell in the house of the parsonage.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:23 PM

A husband and his wife arose one Sunday morning and the wife dressed for church. It was just about time for the service when she noticed her husband hadn't moved a finger toward getting dressed. Perplexed, she asked, "Why aren't you getting dressed for church?"

He said, "Cause I don't want to go." She asked, "Do you have any reason?"

He said, "Yes, I have three good reasons.

First, the congregation is cold.

Second, no one likes me.

And third, I just don't want to go."

The wife replied, wisely, "Well, honey, I have three reasons why you should go.

First, the congregation is warm.

Second, there are a few people there who like you.

And third, you're the pastor! Get dressed!"

Old 06-25-2007, 09:31 PM

10 Commandments for Pastor's Wives
  1. Thou shalt never have a bad attitude.

2. Thou must never become sick.

3. Thou must maintain total control over all children (both yours and other peoples) at all times.

4. Thou must be ready to meet all demands from thy husbands flock at all times.

5. Thou must be a proper diplomat with all knowledge of everything going on in thy husbands church

6. Thou must be a gourmet chef ready to turn out any kind of food for any function without any prior notice.

7. Thou must be a talented musician able to fill in on any instrument in the church with no prior notice.

8. Thou must be able to feed 15 -20 people on a budget of $2 per meal.

9. Thou must be able to teach all age groups for Sunday School with no advance planning.

10. Thou shalt never complain.

So you think you want to be a pastor's wife? Think again maybe.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Wink

Too true! It's a calling, just like being the pastor.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsense View Post
Too true! It's a calling, just like being the pastor.
I'm not sure it's MY calling, but who knows? I've said more than once, "I could NEVER do that!" Only to end up doing it ...... so never say never is key I guess.