Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

My Testimony

INTRODUCTION

For years, I have lived a conflicted life. In my spirit dwells the joy, the peace, and the love of the Holy Ghost. Words fail to describe the comfort and counsel of the Comforter. His righteousness, peace, and joy are the steely foundation of salvation itself. Like a lone iron rail, in an ocean of quicksand and mud. It permeates the core of the journey’s second leg. I am blessed beyond measure in my most needy state. The fellowship of brethren, and the precious Word of God, are the buried treasure of life.
On the other hand, I carry perpetual sorrow deep in my bosom. I live in a lost and dying world. Daily I look in the faces of the unsuspecting, the pre-occupied, and the deceived. There is so much to tell them, on both sides of good and evil. But they all seem full with their lives and opinions. It is maddening.
Perhaps this letter is a selfish venture then. At once an autobiography, research notes, the truth about new birth, and a journey of spiritual discovery. A vehicle for releasing the burden of my heart. If it brings but a single soul out of darkness and groping, then my years of labor were well spent.
My personal testimony is too long to write. Indeed, every day, He saves me from myself. But I will share my beginning.
I was a young man, serving a four-year hitch in the United States Navy. Russia had threatened to close the Suez Canal to all shipping. The U.S. responded by sending my aircraft carrier-The U.S.S. Oriskany CVA-34- right down the middle of the Red Sea. Up and down we steamed, from the Gulf of Aden to the Suez, double-dog-daring Russia to object. It was during this mission, sailing through the Straits of Malacca, that a merciful Creator gently knocked on my door. I shall never forget His grace.
The last rays of daylight were slowly retreating. The ocean was like one continuous sea of glass; not a ripple or rise all the way to the horizon. Sitting on the focsal, I looked down at the very point of our huge battleship slicing through the sheet of glass beneath me.
Now, at just 20 years old, I’d never heard of flying fish. But here they were. As if this warship were a new playground friend; six or eight of them would leap from the water in unison, fly alongside the ship’s point, then dart back underwater. Over and over again they would leap, spread their wings, and frolic six inches above the glass sea. After matching the ship’s speed for about ten seconds, they’d dive back under. It was absolutely magical. Looking above; void of cloud or city light, was a grand canopy of billions of stars.
Suddenly, you could almost hear the “plop”, as I poked my head above the fog of adolescence for the very first time. They had lied to me in school. This was all too big; too magnificent, too perfect to have evolved from primordial soup. This was design and engineering on a colossal scale. How could I have been so blind? All around me, and every part of me, was compelling evidence that someone very mighty had made all of this. I must search Him out, learn about Him, and see what He has to say. And so, my journey began.
What this letter proposes is, in a word, unbelievable. Sort of like when Neo of The Matrix is purged from his egg sac, but much worse. To comprehend the gravity of this hour, one should temporarily suspend all of their ideas about religion, this life, and the world we live in. You too have been lied to. May your first new reality be this:
It is the glory of God to conceal a thing; but the honour of Kings is to search out a matter

You may have noticed that the gold, silver, and precious jewels of the earth, are not found scattered on the roadside. Neither is the wisdom of God, the narrow way, or the things that matter.
Having studied the Bible for most of my adult life, I find it to be as an ocean with no bottom. Though I have learned much, I am still as the pond-skater bug that never breaks the surface. Moreover, I’ve come to understand in some degree the words of King Solomon:
For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow
The sorrow appears on the journey’s second leg, as the big picture comes into focus.
To my loved ones, I have no money or property, no worldly goods or possessions to leave behind. I have only this letter. I pray my children, that one day, you might see it as the buried treasure that it is. Before you is a journey with two legs. First, you must embrace the truth about salvation. On the other side of that narrow gate, is the second leg…the journey itself. He salvages the remainder of our lives, and the journey of free will begins.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: My Testimony

Very powerful!!

Your testimony makes me ponder why it is that some people "get it" and others do not. God revealed himself to you in a mighty, lasting and profound way that forever changed you. I too had such a conversion experience. But why does it seem others are shallow right out of the spiritual womb and never "see" God? Seemingly they never learn to spiritually perceive much of anything. Their testimony would be shallow, if they could even think of anything substantive to say at all. Afterward it would be right back to entertainment or sports.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareztamar View Post
INTRODUCTION

For years, I have lived a conflicted life. In my spirit dwells the joy, the peace, and the love of the Holy Ghost. Words fail to describe the comfort and counsel of the Comforter. His righteousness, peace, and joy are the steely foundation of salvation itself. Like a lone iron rail, in an ocean of quicksand and mud. It permeates the core of the journey’s second leg. I am blessed beyond measure in my most needy state. The fellowship of brethren, and the precious Word of God, are the buried treasure of life.
On the other hand, I carry perpetual sorrow deep in my bosom. I live in a lost and dying world. Daily I look in the faces of the unsuspecting, the pre-occupied, and the deceived. There is so much to tell them, on both sides of good and evil. But they all seem full with their lives and opinions. It is maddening.
Perhaps this letter is a selfish venture then. At once an autobiography, research notes, the truth about new birth, and a journey of spiritual discovery. A vehicle for releasing the burden of my heart. If it brings but a single soul out of darkness and groping, then my years of labor were well spent.
My personal testimony is too long to write. Indeed, every day, He saves me from myself. But I will share my beginning.
I was a young man, serving a four-year hitch in the United States Navy. Russia had threatened to close the Suez Canal to all shipping. The U.S. responded by sending my aircraft carrier-The U.S.S. Oriskany CVA-34- right down the middle of the Red Sea. Up and down we steamed, from the Gulf of Aden to the Suez, double-dog-daring Russia to object. It was during this mission, sailing through the Straits of Malacca, that a merciful Creator gently knocked on my door. I shall never forget His grace.
The last rays of daylight were slowly retreating. The ocean was like one continuous sea of glass; not a ripple or rise all the way to the horizon. Sitting on the focsal, I looked down at the very point of our huge battleship slicing through the sheet of glass beneath me.
Now, at just 20 years old, I’d never heard of flying fish. But here they were. As if this warship were a new playground friend; six or eight of them would leap from the water in unison, fly alongside the ship’s point, then dart back underwater. Over and over again they would leap, spread their wings, and frolic six inches above the glass sea. After matching the ship’s speed for about ten seconds, they’d dive back under. It was absolutely magical. Looking above; void of cloud or city light, was a grand canopy of billions of stars.
Suddenly, you could almost hear the “plop”, as I poked my head above the fog of adolescence for the very first time. They had lied to me in school. This was all too big; too magnificent, too perfect to have evolved from primordial soup. This was design and engineering on a colossal scale. How could I have been so blind? All around me, and every part of me, was compelling evidence that someone very mighty had made all of this. I must search Him out, learn about Him, and see what He has to say. And so, my journey began.
What this letter proposes is, in a word, unbelievable. Sort of like when Neo of The Matrix is purged from his egg sac, but much worse. To comprehend the gravity of this hour, one should temporarily suspend all of their ideas about religion, this life, and the world we live in. You too have been lied to. May your first new reality be this:
It is the glory of God to conceal a thing; but the honour of Kings is to search out a matter

You may have noticed that the gold, silver, and precious jewels of the earth, are not found scattered on the roadside. Neither is the wisdom of God, the narrow way, or the things that matter.
Having studied the Bible for most of my adult life, I find it to be as an ocean with no bottom. Though I have learned much, I am still as the pond-skater bug that never breaks the surface. Moreover, I’ve come to understand in some degree the words of King Solomon:
For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow
The sorrow appears on the journey’s second leg, as the big picture comes into focus.
To my loved ones, I have no money or property, no worldly goods or possessions to leave behind. I have only this letter. I pray my children, that one day, you might see it as the buried treasure that it is. Before you is a journey with two legs. First, you must embrace the truth about salvation. On the other side of that narrow gate, is the second leg…the journey itself. He salvages the remainder of our lives, and the journey of free will begins.

The Oriskany CVA-34, now that is dating yourself bro. Enjoyed the testimony. Where was she based? West Coast? I was at NAS Alameda.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ.: Baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus in 1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Very powerful!!

Your testimony makes me ponder why it is that some people "get it" and others do not. God revealed himself to you in a mighty, lasting and profound way that forever changed you. I too had such a conversion experience. But why does it seem others are shallow right out of the spiritual womb and never "see" God? Seemingly they never learn to spiritually perceive much of anything. Their testimony would be shallow, if they could even think of anything substantive to say at all. Afterward it would be right back to entertainment or sports.
After the Lord called me to repentance, I never saw so many "churches": there seemed to be one in every corner!

But you're right about some people not seeming to "get it". Personally, I was so very blind, so when the Lord opened my eyes to see,
I thought it would be easy for everyone to see what I saw. What a shock to learn that they were all almost as blind as I!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 AM
On the road less traveled

What a powerful awesome testimony PharezT! You know, the way we measure "riches" in this world is not the way riches are measured in the kingdom of the Lord. I believe that the riches in Jesus Christ cannot be compared to anything found down here on earth. Your testimony was encouraging, uplifting, and powerful. God bless!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Very powerful!!

I have wondered the same thing, O. I really do think that some people have a deeper spiritual level than others do.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnman View Post
The Oriskany CVA-34, now that is dating yourself bro. Enjoyed the testimony. Where was she based? West Coast? I was at NAS Alameda.
Homeport NAS Alameda. Westpac tour in 1975.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
What a powerful awesome testimony PharezT! You know, the way we measure "riches" in this world is not the way riches are measured in the kingdom of the Lord. I believe that the riches in Jesus Christ cannot be compared to anything found down here on earth. Your testimony was encouraging, uplifting, and powerful. God bless!
Thank you for your kind words Kept. God bless you as well.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:14 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareztamar View Post
INTRODUCTION

I appreciate your testimony, thanks for sharing. I would also like to thank you for your service.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:38 PM
of 9!! :)

Great testimony! Thank you for sharing,
and I also want to thank you for your service!