Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Why do you wear makeup, if you do?

Let me start off telling you that I quit wearing makeup when I was in a Bible church and had never even heard of UPC or "standards." LOL Not one person I knew quit wearing makeup and nobody even brought the subject up.

One day I felt the Lord question me as to why I wanted to change what He made beautiful in His eyes? I realized that I didn't think what He created was good enough for me.

At first I quit wearing makeup and "big" jewelry. Later I stopped wearing jewelry altogether. I thought I looked really dead without makeup at first, but I actually got my color back naturally without it after a couple of months.

Anyway, just because that happened to me I don't think it is for everyone. That doesn't keep me from wondering why others DO wear makeup and jewelry. I would not dare ask my friends this question because I think they would think I was judging them and just give a defensive answer.

Here nobody knows who I am, so nobody has to "prove" anything to me. I am hoping that some of you can help me understand why anyone wears makeup and jewelry.

All I know is that I was wearing it for all the wrong reasons and it was offensive to God. I would like to start wearing makeup again, especially since I am looking older every day. So for me to wear makeup would be wrong. God intended for me to look old because I am getting old. He could have easily not made men and women to look old. My friends seem to not like how God made me because they think I should wear makeup. :-/ I don't want to offend them with why I don't wear makeup and make them think that I think I am better than them.

Also, why don't men wear makeup?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Re: Why do you wear makeup, if you do?

I don't wear makup.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I like the mobs that form around me.

Oh wait, that's the AXE body spray.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

If I didn't attend a conservative church I would absolutely wear makeup. Why? Because I'm a girly-girl, and I love beautiful, feminine, girly things. I love everything about looking feminine..... curling my hair, high-heel shoes (and all sorts of other shoes), beautiful clothes, cute purses. To me, makeup is just part of that package.

I'm not arguing with YOU about the 'like God made me' thing... you're entitled to your convictions and opinions. But I disagree with it. When I curl my stick-straight hair, I'm changing the way God made me. Same goes for shaving my legs, and shaping my nails. As for aging.... we're part of a dying world, and aging is part of it. It's part of the decay of this world. As part of the aging process, our eyesight starts dimming, we can start losing our hearing, our teeth start rotting and falling out... yet no one says that we just have to accept how God made us. We get glasses, hearing aids, and fix our teeth or get new ones.

Makeup is not intended to change how God made you anyway, just enhance it. Just like having a nice hairstyle.

Some people have very red, splotchy skin. A thin coat of foundation can even out the skin tone. Why is that a sin? I believe we give glory to God by looking our best.

Same thing about jewelry. It's beautiful, I love beautiful things. The Bible says that God would shower his bride with jewels.

Those are my reasons.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Seriously, my wife doesn't wear any for the simple sake of convenience. (This is also the reason she keeps her hair short so she doesn't have to spend half an hour working on it every morning before work.)
Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

AQP do you just not want to rock the boat at your church how come you would not go to your conservative church with makeup if you fill it is ok to wear it... I will tell you I delibertly wore shorts to a chuch function we had just to see if someone would say something to me I was so hoping someone would of said something to me but nothing was said or it was behind my back...LOL

Last edited by KWSS1976; 07-22-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWSS1976 View Post
AQP do you just not want to rock the boat at your church how come you would not go to your conservative church with makeup if you fill it is ok to wear it... I will tell you I delibertly wore shorts to a chuch function we had just to see if someone would say something to me I was so hoping someone would of said something to me but nothing was said or it was behind my back...LOL
Because I believe in respecting the beliefs of my fellowship. If I decide to make drastic changes, I need to change my fellowship.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
OK, even I wouldn't do that. I am known as a serious "tweeker" of those who let themselves get uptight about such things and are looking to be offended or report someone to the pastor, but if something is out and out preached against, then I will not out and out defy it at a church function.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Did you shave your legs?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Randy I like to rock the boat especially if the boat is teaching things extra biblical......LOL