Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Wild Side
Facebook

Notices

The Wild Side Firearms & Hunting; Feed your wild side here!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Re: Gun Talk/ Gun Show thread.

I carry the xdm 9. I personally don't carry one in chamber cause I have kids. My little ones aren't strong enough jerk the slide. Just trying to be a little extra safe on their part. Although my CCW instructor said to he prefers we always have one chambered so that it's always handled that way...ready to fire.

My bed mattress 1911 is the same, I don't chamber one, just keep plenty in the mag.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 02-13-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
I carry the xdm 9. I personally don't carry one in chamber cause I have kids. My little ones aren't strong enough jerk the slide. Just trying to be a little extra safe on their part. Although my CCW instructor said to he prefers we always have one chambered so that it's always handled that way...ready to fire.
I have been criticized more than once for even having the safety on. I do have a Ruger P95 on my bed stand which is chambered AND the safety is off. I've repeatedly told my wife "All you do is point and shoot!" should the need arise. I would NOT keep it in this condition if we had any kids nor do I when friends (with kids) visit.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM
friendly to the sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
So endtimer, when you carry (and I am assuming you do), what condition is your gun in? I carry with a round chambered but the safety is on. When I start carrying my Glock 19, I will have one chambered (there is rarely time to rack the slide when you need a weapon) without a safety since it doesn't have one.
Well, currently I dont carry because I let my permit expire. I plan to renew in the next couple months. When I did carry my mini 1911, I always carried "cocked and locked". When it was cold out I carried my glock 22, I had one chambered and well, you know, there isnt much of a safety on those except for "keep your finger off the bang switch".
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

I didn't read every post in this thread but it looks most everyone is carrying a pistol. When I did my research for a personal defense gun (i.e. occasional use), it seemed to me that revolvers were the gun of choice. Pistols carry more rounds but what other advantages do you all see in them?

BTW, I carry a S&W bodyguard 38 special with laser.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzan View Post
I didn't read every post in this thread but it looks most everyone is carrying a pistol. When I did my research for a personal defense gun (i.e. occasional use), it seemed to me that revolvers were the gun of choice. Pistols carry more rounds but what other advantages do you all see in them?

more accurate than most short revolvers for one. also longer range than the short revolvers.

Last edited by BrotherEastman; 02-13-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
more accurate than most short revolvers for one.
Why? Longer barrel?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Why? Longer barrel?
yup
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
friendly to the sinners

Quote:

Coupla thoughts on this- While the revolver is easy to load and is known to be very reliable, it is not my preference for carry. Revolvers are often wider than the pistol and are more likely to "print" your shirt when you carry on your waist, making it harder to conceal than a pistol. Site options are better on a pistol, pistols carry more rounds. Dont get me wrong, revolvers are neat and all would not be my gun of choice for CC. If I were to open carry, I would consider carrying one just cuz they're cool.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtimer View Post
Coupla thoughts on this- While the revolver is easy to load and is known to be very reliable, it is not my preference for carry. Revolvers are often wider than the pistol and are more likely to "print" your shirt when you carry on your waist, making it harder to conceal than a pistol. Site options are better on a pistol, pistols carry more rounds. Dont get me wrong, revolvers are neat and all would not be my gun of choice for CC. If I were to open carry, I would consider carrying one just cuz they're cool.
Printing and more rounds were things I knew. But there is some issue with jamming, no?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Printing and more rounds were things I knew. But there is some issue with jamming, no?
not if the pistol is oiled enough, but yes,, at times the bullets do jam in the mag