Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Real Treasure

I have been and will continue to be a treasure hunter. Several years ago I bought myself a very nice metal detector, great for finding lost coins, rings, historical artifacts, and just plain junk. Not long after my acquisition we went on a family vacation to Martha’s Vineyard. The house we rented was advertised as just “100 yards from the beach” and it was. Except the beach was covered with rocks just the right size to hurt your feet as you walked on them. But no problem, there are fantastic beaches all over the island. We visited one famed for its beautiful sunsets. Sure enough the event was so awesome that all those there to watch, applauded after the sun had gone down. But back to our rocky cove. I went out early one morning and thought there's not going to be much here. Sure enough I had just a few hits, beeps from the detector. One I did have, netted me a silver dime from the year 1875. Several other beaches brought more silver coins and a ring or two. I had a blast searching for and finding this treasure. After we returned home I started researching my rocky beach dime. I found that a dime from 1874 in mint condition sold at auction that year for $500,000.00. Figuring mine would at least fetch 1% of that, I began thinking out what my $5000.00 would buy, or what bills I could get caught up on. Imagine my disappointment when the value turned out to be about $18.00. But I still have and treasure that small coin.

Quote:
Mat 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
Mat 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
This passage is one I assume is familiar to us all. Makes sense that we should strive to store treasure in Heaven instead of in this life. Gold can be stolen, silver tarnishes, stock values can decrease, and even the most expensive cars rust and deteriorate. Even if everything we owned stayed in its present condition, it would become someone else at your death. So what are those treasures we should store in heaven?

Lets start from the beginning of chapter 6 where rewards are mentioned.

Quote:
Mat 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
Mat 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
Mat 6:4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
There is a reward from God for giving alms, that is, doing good for others without expecting men to recognize what we have done.

Quote:
Mat 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Prayers prayed when no one but God can hear bring reward.

Quote:
Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Forgiveness brings the reward of being forgiven.

Quote:
Mat 6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
Mat 6:18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.
Fasting done in secret is rewarded of God.

Rewards are things of value.

A deed of kindness, a word of encouragement, an act of forgiveness, prayer, fasting, all are treasures to be store in Heaven.

What treasures can we store this year starting this week?
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 01-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Re: Real Treasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
I have been and will continue to be a treasure hunter. Several years ago I bought myself a very nice metal detector, great for finding lost coins, rings, historical artifacts, and just plain junk. Not long after my acquisition we went on a family vacation to Martha’s Vineyard. The house we rented was advertised as just “100 yards from the beach” and it was. Except the beach was covered with rocks just the right size to hurt your feet as you walked on them. But no problem, there are fantastic beaches all over the island. We visited one famed for its beautiful sunsets. Sure enough the event was so awesome that all those there to watch, applauded after the sun had gone down. But back to our rocky cove. I went out early one morning and thought there's not going to be much here. Sure enough I had just a few hits, beeps from the detector. One I did have, netted me a silver dime from the year 1875. Several other beaches brought more silver coins and a ring or two. I had a blast searching for and finding this treasure. After we returned home I started researching my rocky beach dime. I found that a dime from 1874 in mint condition sold at auction that year for $500,000.00. Figuring mine would at least fetch 1% of that, I began thinking out what my $5000.00 would buy, or what bills I could get caught up on. Imagine my disappointment when the value turned out to be about $18.00. But I still have and treasure that small coin.

This passage is one I assume is familiar to us all. Makes sense that we should strive to store treasure in Heaven instead of in this life. Gold can be stolen, silver tarnishes, stock values can decrease, and even the most expensive cars rust and deteriorate. Even if everything we owned stayed in its present condition, it would become someone else at your death. So what are those treasures we should store in heaven?

There is a reward from God for giving alms, that is, doing good for others without expecting men to recognize what we have done.

A deed of kindness, a word of encouragement, an act of forgiveness, prayer, fasting, all are treasures to be store in Heaven.

Great post, RevDWW.

One gift, or 'treasure', I'm giving myself this year is I'm going to read the bible all the way through. Now, I'm pretty sure I've read every verse in the bible, but I've never read it straight through.

I'm so excited! I'm sure I'll glean a lot of treasure from it!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:

Wonderful message, Bro.RevDWW!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Great post, RevDWW.

One gift, or 'treasure', I'm giving myself this year is I'm going to read the bible all the way through. Now, I'm pretty sure I've read every verse in the bible, but I've never read it straight through.

I'm so excited! I'm sure I'll glean a lot of treasure from it!
Awesome! Don't get discouraged if you miss a day now and then. Just keep on reading.

We're using this plan this year. One Year Bible Plan
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
Wonderful message, Bro.RevDWW!!!
Thank you Sis Fella, that mean a lot coming from you.

I taught this (with more added) in our Covenant Class this morning. That's kid's 11 and 12.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome! Don't get discouraged if you miss a day now and then. Just keep on reading.

We're using this plan this year. One Year Bible Plan
That looks like a good plan. We should be getting the Bread Program through the SS dept any day now.

My husband has read the bible through every year for at least 35 years!

I've read through Gen 21 so far.....
Old 01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Good Words Brother!

I too am reading the Bible through instead of just here & there.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Not riding the train

Excellent, RevDWW!!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Thank you Sis Fella, that mean a lot coming from you.

I taught this (with more added) in our Covenant Class this morning. That's kid's 11 and 12.

Thank you, Brother,

If there's anything we need badly, it is GOOD TEACHING! Keep up the
good work!

Blessings,

Falla39
Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Administrator

I plan to read the NT first and then the OT this year.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.