Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:22 PM
just lurking...

Dear Mich - Weight Loss Advice / Diet Thread

So here it is, by popular demand. Ok, ok, you got me...one person demanded it, and I decided that was good enough for me

So what makes me think I am qualified to give advice? Well, I'm a woman, aren't I?

*Snicker*

I have been overweight most of my life. (After age 15 or so). At first I was simply overweight, then I moved on to obese, and finally into morbidly obese territory, reaching a high weight of 280 pounds on a 5'5" frame. I wore a size 30/32 top and 24/26 skirt.

I had tried lots of lots of diets and lost at least 20 pounds every year. Once as many as 50. But the results were always temporary, and I would gain back what I lost and then some.

In the next couple of posts, I will tell you some more of my story, and eventually what I did to lose the 84.6 pounds that I have lost so far. Please feel free to jump in with questions, thoughts, temptations, and to share your success as well as your failures.

Here is a link to my spark-page with more information on my weight loss:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=MICHLOW
Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

I think what you have been able to do is absolutely GREAT. I am so glad you started this thread... I need all the motivation I can get. Maybe you give me the kick in the seat I need to stick with my diet plan.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Dear Mich,

I would like to lose some weight, say twenty-thirty pounds.

Current wisdom says, "Eat less-exercise more."

Is there another way?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 PM
just lurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
I think what you have been able to do is absolutely GREAT. I am so glad you started this thread... I need all the motivation I can get. Maybe you give me the kick in the seat I need to stick with my diet plan.
Bend Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Dear Mich,

I would like to lose some weight, say twenty-thirty pounds.

Current wisdom says, "Eat less-exercise more."

Is there another way?
I'm afraid not my brother. It's all about the numbers. To lose 2 pounds per week, you need a deficit of 7000 calories (1 pound = 3500 calories). Or 1000 calorie a day. The easiest way to do this, is burn 500 calories in exercise, and eat 500 calories below your BMR (basal metabolic rate). This is the number of calories your body burns just to keep you alive, blood circulation, breathing, etc.

The site that I used: www.sparkpeople.com will calculate this for you based on your height and weight, exercise level and how fast you want to lose weight (up to 2 pounds per week) and will give you a calorie range to stay between.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 PM
His word burns in my heart like a fire...Fire Fall Down

Listening avidly.... thank you for agreeing to my request to start this thread up...I think it is important.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:10 PM
just lurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
Listening avidly.... thank you for agreeing to my request to start this thread up...I think it is important.
Hey, I'm just so glad to have a fan!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Hey, I'm just so glad to have a fan!

Good job Mich!!!

- Groucho Marx
Old 03-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Bend Over

I'm afraid not my brother. It's all about the numbers. To lose 2 pounds per week, you need a deficit of 7000 calories (1 pound = 3500 calories). Or 1000 calorie a day. The easiest way to do this, is burn 500 calories in exercise, and eat 500 calories below your BMR (basal metabolic rate). This is the number of calories your body burns just to keep you alive, blood circulation, breathing, etc.

The site that I used: www.sparkpeople.com will calculate this for you based on your height and weight, exercise level and how fast you want to lose weight (up to 2 pounds per week) and will give you a calorie range to stay between.
I will check that site out.
While I am 6' tall and only 220 lbs, it is all in my stomach.
I have a "Gut" feeling I will be healthier less 20-30 lbs.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

I am so glad you started this thread. I thought about starting one, but I just did not have time the last couple of weeks. I got on the scales today and I am just one pound away from my goal!!!!!!!!!!
Since Sept. 17th I have lost 27 lbs. I started in a diet program that is similar to Jenny Craig, but for the last 2 months I have been counting calories and exercising. I walk 1 hour a day at least 5 days a week. MY new goal is to keep the weight off!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
just lurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
I am so glad you started this thread. I thought about starting one, but I just did not have time the last couple of weeks. I got on the scales today and I am just one pound away from my goal!!!!!!!!!!
Since Sept. 17th I have lost 27 lbs. I started in a diet program that is similar to Jenny Craig, but for the last 2 months I have been counting calories and exercising. I walk 1 hour a day at least 5 days a week. MY new goal is to keep the weight off!!!!!!
Congrats! That's awesome! Just one more pound!