Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters > Branhamism
Facebook

Notices

Branhamism Discussion of distinctive doctrines of William M. Branham.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: Biblical guide for a "church service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vaughn View Post
sorry that you feel that way maam... I am just how God made me.. don't know what else to say
I don't feel anything about it, I am just saying you remind me of an actor from the 50's or 60's, that's why I asked the question.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
Why? No one could hear it directly from the interpreter then. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What if the person writing forgot some words? And who would read the written word?
Branham didn't want anyone stealing his thunder. His church order tape was off the wall like the rest of his stuff BUT he never followed it.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Grasshopper

No doubt there are abuses and sometimes the gifts are inordinately focused upon. But Paul only set's the standard of two or three when a speaker is addressing the entire church...not in personal prayer or praise during worship in the beginning of a church gathering. And yes...tongues should not be used to interrupt the preaching...and no one should stand up in front of everyone screaming in tongues unless they know one is there to interpret or can interpret it themselves.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Will lift up your wife in prayer.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Branham didn't want anyone stealing his thunder. His church order tape was off the wall like the rest of his stuff BUT he never followed it.
So in actuality he is telling God when to send the tongues and interpretation? Before the service not during. Wow.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Dr. Vaughn

Neck. we dont actually take up an offering in our services,,, it is never mentioned.... as the people leave the congregation there are boxes they can place an offering in should they desire... I might add it is always filled to overflowing
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Dr. Vaughn

Of course NOT maam..... he is telling the people that God is not on a clock.. it doesnt matter to God if it is before or during service.. the message from God will be the same.... gather before the service in a prayer room... as you pray should God have a message for the church let it be spoken in tongues... let it be interpreted and then those messages can be brought before the people.. without confusing the visitors... else they would think we were all mad according to Paul
Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Dr. Vaughn

Grasshopper, I disagree..... Pauls context is VISITORS not understanding whats going on....

You have outsiders and they walk in during praise and worship and all over the building people are speaking in tongues..... they will think were all mad... so this has nothing to do with Pausl frame of reference.. in trying to say he just mean speaking publicaly before the church.... he was against the use of tongues in the public church service UNLESS there would be an interpreter
Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

The majority of folks who come to Pentecostal services enjoy the worship. The last 3 services here a Baptist girl has come to the revival I asked her if she liked it. She said I love it. That has been the majority of comments I have heard visitors make about Pentecostal services.
Now go to Branham church, first thing is the halo picture then the cloud picture. The preacher(if they have one) is talking about the prophet said, sometimes songs are sang about the prophet. Books are shoved in their hands about the prophet. Who do you think the average visitor is going to think is crazy or a cult?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vaughn View Post
Grasshopper, I disagree..... Pauls context is VISITORS not understanding whats going on....

You have outsiders and they walk in during praise and worship and all over the building people are speaking in tongues..... they will think were all mad... so this has nothing to do with Pausl frame of reference.. in trying to say he just mean speaking publicaly before the church.... he was against the use of tongues in the public church service UNLESS there would be an interpreter
Paul obviously wasn't against tongues being used during personal devotions and times of prayer before or after the church service. First off...the early church met in homes not in big buildings. Second...these gatherings were intimate and rather close and small, typically no more than 15 to 20 people on average. They also didn't "order" services like we do. There was normally a full meal where bread and wine was offered as part of the Lord's Supper... after they had eaten the main courses. This meal was typically before the teaching portion of the meeting. In addition the teaching wasn't in Greek fashion with one speaker "preaching". The word "preached" used in Acts where Paul preached until midnight is the same word we get our word, "dialogue", from. You see they most likely ate and had the Lord's Supper. Then one of them opened the scroll of an OT book and the preacher began to teach. Then a dialogue began and the teaching and discussion continued often late into the evening as in our case in point. During these times everyone was allowed to bring a song, a teaching, and if there were an interpreter a prophetic utterance in tongues. However, Paul never advocated that they forbid speaking in tongues...especially if it were during times of prayer or private devotions before or after the preaching.

It was a relatively primitive structure bro.

Dr. Vaughn, have you ever been used in the gift of interpretation?