Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Re: looking for a prooftext ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by notofworks View Post
Applause for you in your search. May God lead you. One thing we know for sure...modern Christianity is not effecting America like the early church effected its culture.
Truth!!!!!
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Truth!!!!!
It is truth--and I don't think it has anything at all to do with exuberant praise and worship. I think it has a lot more to do with Christians who have Sunday Religion.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
It is truth--and I don't think it has anything at all to do with exuberant praise and worship. I think it has a lot more to do with Christians who have Sunday Religion.

......and the ability of the modern-day church to connect with the culture like Paul did in Acts 17 when he led them to faith by quoting their poets. Modern day Christianity has become riddled with an "Us vs. Them" mentality that has created a massive gulf rather than a connecting bridge.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Scripture > Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by notofworks View Post
......and the ability of the modern-day church to connect with the culture like Paul did in Acts 17 when he led them to faith by quoting their poets. Modern day Christianity has become riddled with an "Us vs. Them" mentality that has created a massive gulf rather than a connecting bridge.
Good example... Paul on Mars Hill using the philosophers and the shrines on the unknown god (which has a interesting back story from a plague in Athens.. I can find and link if anyones curious). I wonder if today Paul would be using examples from the TV show Lost or winning a medal in the Winter Olympic to win the race.

Name-calling is the last resort of an exhausted mind.

When people have the facts, they argue the facts.

When they don't have the facts, they call names.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN Anderson View Post
I don't think we need a proof-text for everything we do in practicum. I think it is nice to but would reserve laboring for a prooftext on doctrinal issues.
Is this a serious statement?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I agree that it does not mean to act as a fool, but it certainly doesn't set a definite boundary on self-expression. You have centered on "audibly" raving". That is not the only definition. "Celebrate" can cover a lot of self-expression. "Clamorously foolish" appears to be defined in that way toward those that viewed someone like Michal. I would hope we wouldn't want to be in her camp.

We see that David "danced" in his praise. What does "dance" mean in this instance? - "to whirl". He was whirling while he was dancing. That was how he wanted to express his deep and heartfelt worship. He danced and whirled with ALL of his "might", which means that he danced/whirled with ALL of his "strength."

We can look at two children laughing and looking at each other. That doesn't mean that EVERYONE that expresses themselves, in such as way, is also behaving like the children.

I have seen sincere worship in many forms. I have seem people, who were not sincere, for whatever reason, doing the same things. Do I exclude all self-express because of this? That would be foolish.

If someone feels, as David, that whirling is directing their praise TO God - let them whirl!

I think it is unfortunate for you to say you know the heart of every person, in their worship, by saying:

If David danced with all of his might/strength, what would be the absolute difference in someone being excited in their leaping or running? There is no difference. Therefore, it would be disingenuous of you to label that as excitement only and emphatically label that as not toward God nor an actual praise to God.

Two things about David, he apparently was actually "dancing" to the music, and he was outside where there was plenty of room. I was once very young and had a lot more energy, and I was a bit wild in worship. However, after a while I realized I could worship the Lord in a orderly dance and not endanger those around me, and doing so with eyes open did not cause the Spirit of the Lord to flee away!!

There is dance that is appropriate indoors, but it should be a bit more controlled. Jumping pews, walking on the back of pews and banging into walls could be considered disrespectful. I have to admit I have not seen that wildness in a long time, though we do have very exuberant worship.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Don't ask.

Just a couple of heretics here today? Everybody else still at church? Or the buffet?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
Two things about David, he apparently was actually "dancing" to the music, and he was outside where there was plenty of room. I was once very young and had a lot more energy, and I was a bit wild in worship. However, after a while I realized I could worship the Lord in a orderly dance and not endanger those around me, and doing so with eyes open did not cause the Spirit of the Lord to flee away!!

There is dance that is appropriate indoors, but it should be a bit more controlled. Jumping pews, walking on the back of pews and banging into walls could be considered disrespectful. I have to admit I have not seen that wildness in a long time, though we do have very exuberant worship.
The point about David's dancing is that he, apparently, had already seen this type of worship displayed and expressed himself in the same manner. I would find it hard to believe that David would express himself in such a way that had never been seen or done before. Did he see only people express themselves in this manner outside only? We can't say, but I wouldn't think so.

Room doesn't make any difference, it's the intent of what he was doing. Age doesn't make any difference, it's the intent of what is being done. David was praising and honoring God Almighty.

I do read that after Michal expressed her disgust with him, he went on to say in 2 Samuel 6:22 "And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour."

What is David saying? "I will be more vile (light, sharp, swift) and I will be more base (humble) and I will be had in honor!"
Quote:
I was once very young and had a lot more energy, and I was a bit wild in worship. However, after a while I realized I could worship the Lord in a orderly dance and not endanger those around me, and doing so with eyes open did not cause the Spirit of the Lord to flee away!!
I agree with you here, although, I wouldn't limit the expression of any person. I would look for those that are taking it too far so as to have an expression and not necessarily because their main intent was to worship God. There is a difference and, yes, we have seen it.

And I also agree that we haven't seen this wildness in a long time. I think that there are things that come in cycles. I also believe that issues will always arise that are in need of correction. We wouldn't grow and gain wisdom unless coming against things contrary to sound doctrine. All is not lost!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Just a couple of heretics here today? Everybody else still at church? Or the buffet?
Fixing my hair and getting ready for church.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Don't ask.

Oh hi, P-O! How was church?

(Edit) Getting ready? What time's church, anyway? You didn't forget to spring forward, did you?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?