Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Blessed View Post
We have been involved in planting churches from scratch. I would like to say first of all that Pastor Poster has shared from his own experience some of the advice I would have given. It is apparent he has gained valuable wisdom. I can see him writing a book that would be a great source of encouragement to church planters.

One of the mistakes many HM's make is to focus too much on a building with the concept of the church being the building and then spending much money and energy to get people into the building. It's important to stay focused on "the field is the world" and then become creative in how you can meet the needs represented in the world God has called you into.

Church is a "people" business. So, we concentrated on doing whatever put us in personal contact with people. I have always said that no matter what size the community may be that you are called to, you must reach people "one by one" and "one on one."

Love people, not for what they may represent to the growth of your church, but because they need to be loved into the kingdom of God. At the same time, be prepared to be hurt deeply, for some of the people you will show the greatest love to will become your greatest disappointment. We have to love a lot to gain a little it seems.

Home Missionaries are the true heroes in my opinion. We so often put the Foreign Missionary on a pedestal, but most of them live a higher standard of living than they did at home. The Home Missionary meanwhile often has given up much to struggle to plant a church while working a full time job and without all the perks enjoyed by foreign missionaries.

In the end it's the call of God that makes the difference!
This is a good post, TB.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Blessed View Post
We have been involved in planting churches from scratch. I would like to say first of all that Pastor Poster has shared from his own experience some of the advice I would have given. It is apparent he has gained valuable wisdom. I can see him writing a book that would be a great source of encouragement to church planters.
One of the mistakes many HM's make is to focus too much on a building with the concept of the church being the building and then spending much money and energy to get people into the building. It's important to stay focused on "the field is the world" and then become creative in how you can meet the needs represented in the world God has called you into.

Church is a "people" business. So, we concentrated on doing whatever put us in personal contact with people. I have always said that no matter what size the community may be that you are called to, you must reach people "one by one" and "one on one."

Love people, not for what they may represent to the growth of your church, but because they need to be loved into the kingdom of God. At the same time, be prepared to be hurt deeply, for some of the people you will show the greatest love to will become your greatest disappointment. We have to love a lot to gain a little it seems.

Home Missionaries are the true heroes in my opinion. We so often put the Foreign Missionary on a pedestal, but most of them live a higher standard of living than they did at home. The Home Missionary meanwhile often has given up much to struggle to plant a church while working a full time job and without all the perks enjoyed by foreign missionaries.

In the end it's the call of God that makes the difference!
PP Something to think about

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
I read what you wrote and I agree with you (guess I forgot to affirm what you wrote), and we've had these kind of people come along. I just wanted to say that not all people who change churches are bouncers or act the way you've described --- to their credit.
Well, folks will show their true colors when, like I said, you ask them to sacrifice or if there is a need to give correction.

Sorry for being short back there.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Well, folks will show their true colors when, like I said, you ask them to sacrifice or if there is a need to give correction.

Sorry for being short back there.
It's okay. I'm not quite used to it from you, and I'm sorry for having put you on the defensive.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 07-30-2007, 06:43 PM

I had a young man, who was studying to be a Catholic priest, visit our church about three years ago. He was so devoted to God it actually scared me. He came because he was a relative to one of the families in our church. He had heard we had a basketball league for kids aged 9-13 and was interested in helping coach them.

I cautiously allowed him to be involved. He began to come to church every Sunday, while still attending Catholic Mass. He became my shadow. He wanted to be involved in everything in the church.

One Sunday morning during an altar service, with no one praying for him and the service about to end, God filled him with the Holy Ghost. He brought his mom, his grandma, and many, many friends to church with him.

He left the priesthood and the Catholic church. He began to witness up and down our city streets. Last year he entered full time youth ministry. He travels all around the US.

I said that to say this. I never would have seen this potential in him. He was so indoctrinated in Catholicism. But God saw his potential. Because we reached out to kids, God brought us someone to help.

And now our ministry has expanded beyond our wildest dreams.

Every soul counts.

Every one.

Be a gatherer.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
I had a young man, who was studying to be a Catholic priest, visit our church about three years ago. He was so devoted to God it actually scared me. He came because he was a relative to one of the families in our church. He had heard we had a basketball league for kids aged 9-13 and was interested in helping coach them.

I cautiously allowed him to be involved. He began to come to church every Sunday, while still attending Catholic Mass. He became my shadow. He wanted to be involved in everything in the church.

One Sunday morning during an altar service, with no one praying for him and the service about to end, God filled him with the Holy Ghost. He brought his mom, his grandma, and many, many friends to church with him.

He left the priesthood and the Catholic church. He began to witness up and down our city streets. Last year he entered full time youth ministry. He travels all around the US.

I said that to say this. I never would have seen this potential in him. He was so indoctrinated in Catholicism. But God saw his potential. Because we reached out to kids, God brought us someone to help.

And now our ministry has expanded beyond our wildest dreams.

Every soul counts.

Every one.

Be a gatherer.
Way cool, PP.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
I read what you wrote and I agree with you (guess I forgot to affirm what you wrote), and we've had these kind of people come along. I just wanted to say that not all people who change churches are bouncers or act the way you've described --- to their credit.
I hear what both of you are saying and think you are both right.

I know, from my own experience, that, after I left this uc church, I was anything but ready to make the kind of committment it takes to be faithful to any church. The church I ended up in put me up front, playing the guitar and also in prison ministry, before I had healed from the hurt I was experiencing. The leadership there did the right thing, but it wasn't at the right time. So, I left there after a couple of years.

Then I found myself in prison ministry and up front playing the guitar again at the next church. I was in a better place, but still not ready to take on the responsibility that ministry requires. So, I left again, this time to end up at a HM church.

By this time I had realized I wouldn't go into ministry or play the guitar again until I was satisfied that I was ready for it. Things didn't go as planned there, so here I am again, without a church home.

Honestly, I'm just now getting to the point that I am willing to fully get behind the ministry of any church, let alone think about going back to playing the guitar up front or going into prisons. I'm thankful that I am finally willing to make a committment to a church, but know I still have a way to go before I will be ready for ministry of any kind.

The point is sometimes the people who "church hop" do so for reasons others don't understand or can't see. All they see is someone leaving this church for that church and immediately decide it's because that person just wants to manipulate, when nothing could be further from the truth.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I hear what both of you are saying and think you are both right.

I know, from my own experience, that, after I left this uc church, I was anything but ready to make the kind of committment it takes to be faithful to any church. The church I ended up in put me up front, playing the guitar and also in prison ministry, before I had healed from the hurt I was experiencing. The leadership there did the right thing, but it wasn't at the right time. So, I left there after a couple of years.

Then I found myself in prison ministry and up front playing the guitar again at the next church. I was in a better place, but still not ready to take on the responsibility that ministry requires. So, I left again, this time to end up at a HM church.

By this time I had realized I wouldn't go into ministry or play the guitar again until I was satisfied that I was ready for it. Things didn't go as planned there, so here I am again, without a church home.

Honestly, I'm just now getting to the point that I am willing to fully get behind the ministry of any church, let alone think about going back to playing the guitar up front or going into prisons. I'm thankful that I am finally willing to make a committment to a church, but know I still have a way to go before I will be ready for ministry of any kind.

The point is sometimes the people who "church hop" do so for reasons others don't understand or can't see. All they see is someone leaving this church for that church and immediately decide it's because that person just wants to manipulate, when nothing could be further from the truth.
Yea, your achilies heel was when they told you that you had to shave your beard.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Yea, your achilies heel was when they told you that you had to shave your beard.
Actually, no it wasn't. The beard thing wasn't a problem at either of the churches where I served in ministry. Surprise, surprise!! I don't have a problem with going along with platform standards, even though I may not agree with the standard. So, if I were ever to get back into ministry, and my pastor wanted me to shave my beard and mustache, I'd do it and not give it a second thought.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Darcie, your reaching out has really touched me. God will reward your desire for revival. And I believe God connected you to Pastor Poster. His wisdom in this thread is worth gold. Don't give up.