Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Tired of it.

Re: Sex Before Marriage: Does God Approve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
You know, that is one thing that I wonder if God didn't get the formula just a little bit off. I know he wanted the earth to be replenished, but sex is pretty nifty already - - a strong drive wasn't THAT necessary was it?

It seems to have caused more problems with promiscuity.
Amen to that...

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds... - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

I am talking about sex before marriage! You said you would consider it punishment to be force to marry some one you had sex with because of a lack of judgement (someone you didnt love)!!!!! Just to make it hasty... Young couple gets caught having sex ( lack of judgement) the parents and overbearing guilt preaching pastor tells them now they should and will have to get married ( citing various scriptures and giving insane reasons)! To keep from going to hell and living in sin they get married.. guess whayt happens in just a few years????
Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Christmas 2009

We've never told anyone to get married just because they got caught having sex, or even ended up pregnant. We've had parents force them into it, but we never suggest it. Two wrongs don't make a right. BUT.......on the other hand.........I can't believe this is even a discussion subject on here. The Bible is clear that sex outside of marriage is a sin.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
That's true, but love is blind, right?
I don't know...I think that only immature love is blind. True love has its eyes wide open, and actively cares for the other person in spite of everything. That's a skill that can be learned (and taught).

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstate1 View Post
I am talking about sex before marriage! You said you would consider it punishment to be force to marry some one you had sex with because of a lack of judgement (someone you didnt love)!!!!! Just to make it hasty... Young couple gets caught having sex ( lack of judgement) the parents and overbearing guilt preaching pastor tells them now they should and will have to get married ( citing various scriptures and giving insane reasons)! To keep from going to hell and living in sin they get married.. guess whayt happens in just a few years????
I don't see how that relates to your post about trying the car before you buy it.

I would be very upset if I found out my husband had tried 10 other cars before he decided to "buy" me.

Because of our culture and mindset, I don't believe in shotgun weddings. I DO believe that if a couple decides to marry in those circumstances, they can still have a committed, loving relationship if they have good guidance and have their minds made up to make it work.

I don't believe it's insane to suggest that a young couple having premarital sex consider marriage. It depends on their age and the circumstances. I just don't think it should be forced.

To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—

Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
We've never told anyone to get married just because they got caught having sex, or even ended up pregnant. We've had parents force them into it, but we never suggest it. Two wrongs don't make a right. BUT.......on the other hand.........I can't believe this is even a discussion subject on here. The Bible is clear that sex outside of marriage is a sin.
I have seen it happen more than just a few times! I do believe it is a sin! The UPC and other conservative orgs. need to have educated counceling for these people and not some beatem down preacher!! Pastors should be required to have several hours of councel education including family,addictions,and grief.
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
It's just because Charnock came on blasting how terrible AFF is and was met with some resistance. I believe he was reaching out to try and make a point, but it's only proved that we aren't a bunch of heathens as he stated.
My Family!

Quote:
I have seen it happen more than just a few times! I do believe it is a sin! The UPC and other conservative orgs. need to have educated counceling for these people and not some beatem down preacher!! Pastors should be required to have several hours of councel education including family,addictions,and grief.
I agree.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No argument there. There are a lot of parents who handle these situations badly as well, both Christian and secular.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
You're very funny, Timmy! Nice job, catching that.

In all seriousness, though, I would consider it a punishment to be forced to marry someone I had sex with because of a lapse in judgment. (Someone I didn't love.)
The Deut scripture (which in many translations is talking about rape, not just seduction or consensual sex) is in a list of many other sins, such as "Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together." The other one, in Exodus, is followed soon by "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Do we live by these clear commands, today? Should we?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?