Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Re: Two or three witnesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
A witness is one who testifies (to others). For God to be a witness it requires Him to speak - which He has, via the words of Scripture, which requires writers. So the writer is not so much the witness, as God is. The writer just takes the message to others. A court reporter is not a witness, they just report what was testified.
Not so sure we can say that a writer of scripture is the same as a court reporter.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I don't remember ever being told about this rule of interpretation. If Scriptures is the Word of God, then even if the Scriptures only mention something once, it's just as true as if it mentioned it 100 times.

The premise is silly.
It's called Hermeneutic's, which has some good points of methodology. But it's a philosophy and a invention of man none the less. I'm not saying throw the bath water out with the baby, but it can't be the go to for who gets the last say for every issue.

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!

Last edited by 1ofthechosen; 07-17-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
It's called Hermeneutic's, which has some good points of methodology. But it's a philosophy and a invention of man none the less. I'm not saying throw the bath water out with the baby, but it can't be the go to for who gets the last say for every issue.
If something is only mentioned or affirmed in Scripture once, is it any less authoritative?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
If something is only mentioned or affirmed in Scripture once, is it any less authoritative?
No not at all even though hair is only in 1 Corinthians 11 the subject does have half a chapter dedicated to it.

But just one verse out of context could really throw you off like 1 John 2:27 "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." Or Romans 14:22 "Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." For example. Just grabbing those out of context and just building a doctrine would cause you to teach everyone to do what's right in his own eyes. So Hermeneutics has it's place.

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
No not at all even though hair is only in 1 Corinthians 11 the subject does have half a chapter dedicated to it.

But just one verse out of context could really throw you off like 1 John 2:27 "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." Or Romans 14:22 "Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." For example. Just grabbing those out of context and just building a doctrine would cause you to teach everyone to do what's right in his own eyes. So Hermeneutics has it's place.
I agree, context helps determine the meaning of a given verse.

I'm just a bit taken aback by the notion of needing two witnesses in Scripture to affirm a teaching. If the entire Bible is the Word of God, mentioning something only once is just as authoritative as if it were mentioned 100 times.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

I think Paul in my example was arguing already with some in Corinth. When two scriptures agree, and you still argue you are on shifting sand. If only one scripture addresses an issue and is doubtfull in absolute translation, then persons standing on their own cpnvictions are in a more stable place.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
Not so sure we can say that a writer of scripture is the same as a court reporter.
No, but the analogy still stands - the writers of Scripture were basically passing along a message, not inventing it themselves.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think that we are inclined to believe that if a doctrine is mentioned more than once then it bears more weight with us, whether we admit it or not. While I am not sure that if a commandment is only mentioned once, it is less a commandment, the example of the scripture below does come to mind.

Mark.16
[18] They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover . . .

Just a quick show of hands . . .

How many of you are handling serpents?

Because the Bible says that it is a sign that will follow them that believe . . .

Once only of course.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:02 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
I think that we are inclined to believe that if a doctrine is mentioned more than once then it bears more weight with us, whether we admit it or not. While I am not sure that if a commandment is only mentioned once, it is less a commandment, the example of the scripture below does come to mind.

Mark.16
[18] They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover . . .

Just a quick show of hands . . .

How many of you are handling serpents?

Because the Bible says that it is a sign that will follow them that believe . . .

Once only of course.
You don’t?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
You don’t?
Well the funny thing is, every time I am moved on to take up serpents . . . there is nary a serpent to be found!

Maybe it's God?

Maybe it is just not for me. Do all speak with tongues?

1Cor.12
[30] Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Maybe God has called YOU to be the handler of serpents?

Just a thought . . .