Apostolic Friends Forum  

Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Nursery
Facebook

Notices

The Nursery Where we await new little ones in our AFF Fellowship Family!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Re: Help with blood types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
There is a lot that science doesn't know yet, so I would never say never. I just recently learned that two people with O could produce an A baby, the A antigen is recessive.
If the baby is positive and my husband is negative then it is possible, because is is impossible that my husband isn't the father.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
There is a lot that science doesn't know yet, so I would never say never. I just recently learned that two people with O could produce an A baby, the A antigen is recessive.
Not possible. O's cannot produce ABO antigens. O is recessive because it has no antigens, so if someone has an AO marker, their blood type is A. You can only be O with OO markers. If both parents have OO markers, the only result are OO babies. A antigens are not recessive. It's impossible to have OA markers or OB markers. The O is always recessive unless you get one from each parent, then it's dominant in the receiving individual.

If you are referring to people who have O markers but not O type blood, then you are correct. That's because they have the O recessive markers that most people have. The only people who don't have O markers are AB type folks. They cannot produce O babies because they don't have O markers.

http://www.canadiancrc.com/Paternity...lood_type.aspx

That site tells you the possibilities. It's not possible for O parents to have any other children but O. But like I said before, if they have O markers with a different blood type, then yes, it's possible, and you will see that possibility on that website also.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

i'm relieved to hear about two of ya'll with the rh factor also. the doc told me not to worry about it b/c of the shot i will take, but it was still in the back of my mind. kae, my doc told me that a neg mom and pos dad could produce either a pos or neg baby but a neg mom and neg dad would produce a neg baby, which i guess would do away with the need for the shot. i'd rather be safe and take it anyway, even if my hubby was neg. i'm not sure what he is.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedLou View Post
i'm relieved to hear about two of ya'll with the rh factor also. the doc told me not to worry about it b/c of the shot i will take, but it was still in the back of my mind. kae, my doc told me that a neg mom and pos dad could produce either a pos or neg baby but a neg mom and neg dad would produce a neg baby, which i guess would do away with the need for the shot. i'd rather be safe and take it anyway, even if my hubby was neg. i'm not sure what he is.
They give the shot anyway because there are people who will say the dad is one person when in fact it's someone else. They can't take the chance that you aren't being honest about parentage, so it's safer to just give the shot instead of interrogating the mom.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedLou View Post
I had the shot with the first 2 and after that I didn't get again until my 7th after he was born, because he has A+ blood type, according to the hospital.

I'm just the opposite and do not want any chemicals or medicines unless the are absolutely necessary.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
Not possible. O's cannot produce ABO antigens. O is recessive because it has no antigens, so if someone has an AO marker, their blood type is A. You can only be O with OO markers. If both parents have OO markers, the only result are OO babies. A antigens are not recessive. It's impossible to have OA markers or OB markers. The O is always recessive unless you get one from each parent, then it's dominant in the receiving individual.

If you are referring to people who have O markers but not O type blood, then you are correct. That's because they have the O recessive markers that most people have. The only people who don't have O markers are AB type folks. They cannot produce O babies because they don't have O markers.

http://www.canadiancrc.com/Paternity...lood_type.aspx

That site tells you the possibilities. It's not possible for O parents to have any other children but O. But like I said before, if they have O markers with a different blood type, then yes, it's possible, and you will see that possibility on that website also.
My doctor was wrong then; she said my daughter had the possibility of A blood, though my husband and I are both O. I hate it when you know more than your doctor.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
I had the shot with the first 2 and after that I didn't get again until my 7th after he was born, because he has A+ blood type, according to the hospital.

I'm just the opposite and do not want any chemicals or medicines unless the are absolutely necessary.
If it's important, I would have him retested. If it's not important, I wouldn't worry about it.

Aren't you due soon?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
My doctor was wrong then; she said my daughter had the possibility of A blood, though my husband and I are both O. I hate it when you know more than your doctor.
Doctors can be wrong. Nurses can be wrong. I can be wrong.

But I'm not.....LOL!

I looked at several sites about it, trying to find out additional information but they all said the same thing. It's impossible according to 'the experts' I read for two O parents to have an A baby.

But hey, maybe one of you were tested wrong, I don't know.

A friend of mine is A+. Her husband and father of both children is B+. Her son is O+.

Her husband's mother accused her of having an affair, because she claimed her son was AB-. My friend, knowing he was the father, got a test on her husband.

His mother was wrong. Thankfully! LOL!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
If it's important, I would have him retested. If it's not important, I wouldn't worry about it.

Aren't you due soon?
My doctor insists I have the shot unless I have proof my husband is A-. I don't want it if I don't need it. I did get them to get me the one without mercury in it if I do have to have it.

I am due Aug 7.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
My doctor insists I have the shot unless I have proof my husband is A-. I don't want it if I don't need it. I did get them to get me the one without mercury in it if I do have to have it.

I am due Aug 7.
I think it's better to be safe than sorry as well.

I'm excited for you, even though you've been through it so many times already. A girl in my nursing class had her 9th baby in March. Large families are rare anymore, but I think it's great for those who can care for them.

I'm done, being too old and having two teens. No starting over for me at this point...LOL!