Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: Mexican Food Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Too much cheese to cook one every day though.
Can you ever have too much cheese?

All these recipes sound really good. I've never made flautas but I love to order them at a Mexican restaurant. I want to try the chicken spinach flautas - they sound yummie!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
My husband loves ketchup

These are the salsa recipes I use

Fresh Mexican Salsa

8 large tomatoes, coarsely diced
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 T chopped parsley
2 T chopped cilantro
1/4 - 2 tsp. chopped jalepano
I make mine simple like this, minus the parsley, plus lime or lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste. If I'm making guacamole, all I do is mix 2 parts mashed avocado with 1 part fresh pico.

My favorite beef enchilada recipe is the Pioneer Woman's version; I don't know how authentic her recipe is, but they're really good enchiladas. I like flour tortillas better than corn, so that's what I normally use. I know that part isn't authentic.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ct-enchiladas/

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
My favorite beef enchilada recipe is the Pioneer Woman's version; I don't know how authentic her recipe is, but they're really good enchiladas. I like flour tortillas better than corn, so that's what I normally use. I know that part isn't authentic.

I LOVE Ree and The Pioneer Woman website... she makes me laugh, and she has really awesome pictures of her food so you know how it is supposed to look as you are cooking. Do you have any of her books? I personally haven't tried this recipe of hers for enchiladas, but it is very similar to the one I use.

Although, I notice in her recipe she uses a canned version of enchilada sauce. Perhaps PO has an "from scratch" enchilada sauce recipe up her sleeve?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 PM

I came up with this version of Hot Sauce because my husband can't stand onions, and most version of hot sauce have onions in them. He can taste an onion a mile away, poor soul... and since I love onions, it has been quite a challenge to cook without them. He borders on being allergic to them, I think. Anyhoo... I came up with this recipe for Hot Sauce to please his palate, and everyone always asks for the recipe...

Texas Hot Sauce
2 15-oz cans diced Del Monte tomatoes, drained
1 can Rotel
1/2 bunch of cilantro, leaves only, chopped
1-2 jalepenos - seeded and diced
2-3 tomatillos, halved
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne

Mix all in blender, puree. Serve with Tostitos dipping chips.

I can tomatoes every year, so I use one quart of my canned tomatoes when I make this hot sauce, however, the Del Monte tomatoes seem to have the best flavor, next to home canned tomatoes. I've noticed the quality of tomatoes really makes a difference in the outcome of the sauce.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I came up with this version of Hot Sauce because my husband can't stand onions, and most version of hot sauce have onions in them. He can taste an onion a mile away, poor soul... and since I love onions, it has been quite a challenge to cook without them. He borders on being allergic to them, I think. Anyhoo... I came up with this recipe for Hot Sauce to please his palate, and everyone always asks for the recipe...

Texas Hot Sauce
2 15-oz cans diced Del Monte tomatoes, drained
1 can Rotel
1/2 bunch of cilantro, leaves only, chopped
1-2 jalepenos - seeded and diced
2-3 tomatillos, halved
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne

Mix all in blender, puree. Serve with Tostitos dipping chips.

I can tomatoes every year, so I use one quart of my canned tomatoes when I make this hot sauce, however, the Del Monte tomatoes seem to have the best flavor, next to home canned tomatoes. I've noticed the quality of tomatoes really makes a difference in the outcome of the sauce.
I was going to ask you if you used tomatillos. They sure do add a nice flavor to salsa. I think it was a good choice if you want to cut the onions. I don't buy much in the way of canned goods, but I do always have canned tomatoes - Muir Glen Organic.

Of course, my husband always has a can of Wolf Brand chili in the pantry. It's not much different from a can of dog food, if you ask me My daughter calls to ask if I have an extra can so they can make hot dogs. People love this stuff!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
I make mine simple like this, minus the parsley, plus lime or lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste. If I'm making guacamole, all I do is mix 2 parts mashed avocado with 1 part fresh pico.
Yes, I also add pico or hot sauce for guacamole.

Quote:

That would be a fast way to get your enchilada sauce going. Looks like a good recipe. I would make my own sauce though. I've just never tried a canned sauce that I've liked. It always has a metallic taste to it. I tried one brand, Hatch, that wasn't bad.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I LOVE Ree and The Pioneer Woman website... she makes me laugh, and she has really awesome pictures of her food so you know how it is supposed to look as you are cooking. Do you have any of her books? I personally haven't tried this recipe of hers for enchiladas, but it is very similar to the one I use.

Although, I notice in her recipe she uses a canned version of enchilada sauce. Perhaps PO has an "from scratch" enchilada sauce recipe up her sleeve?
This is the enchilada sauce recipe that I use:

Enchilada Sauce

1 T. Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. minced onion
1/2 t. dried oregano
2 1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. dried basil
1/8 t. ground black pepper
1/8 t. salt (adjust, I usually add a little more)
1/4 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried parsley
1/4 cup salsa
1 (6 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.

Mix together and then stir in the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

This is one that I haven't tried, because I never use self-rising flour, so I don't want to buy it. It looks interesting to try. Another reason, it uses 4 T of chili powder - eek. That is just way too much for me.

Enchilada Sauce

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 T self-rising flour
1/4 chili powder
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion salt
salt to taste
1/4 t. ground cumin

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili power, reduce to medium and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.

Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Not riding the train

KeptByTheWord, I've been using this sauce, but I am going to drag my Shrimp Enchilada recipe here from the dinner thread. I think I'm going to start using that sauce - it is great!

Spinach Enchiladas

1 T butter or Olive Oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 poblano chili, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb fresh baby spinach or 10 oz frozen
1/2 c. sour cream
2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1 cup ricotta cheese
10 or 12 corn tortillas

Sauce:

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
2 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup chicken broth
¼ cup milk
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 can (7 ounce) green chile enchilada sauce (I have my own recipe for this below)
½ cup sour cream

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt butter over a moderate heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, chili, and garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned.

Stir in the spinach and saute it for 5 minutes.

Take the mixture off the heat and stir in the sour cream, half the Monterey Jack cheese, the cayenne pepper and the ricotta.

Warm the tortillas in a dry skillet until you can bend them easily 15 seconds or so.

Divide the spinach mixture between them, then roll them up and arrange them in a baking dish, seam side down.

In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and starts to turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. As you whisk and the mixture cooks, the flour will get less lumpy around the onions and the mixture will become smooth. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is bubbling and has thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the enchilada sauce and sour cream.

Pour sauce or tortillas and sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack Cheese. Bake 18 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble.

Green Enchilada Sauce - Makes 1 1/2 cups

6-8 medium tomatillos, husked and washed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium to large poblano chile
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 cup water or vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 lime juiced

First roast the chiles and tomatillos: Preheat the broiler and put the chile on a baking sheet under the broiler. Broil until black and blistering on all sides, turning as needed. Remove from oven and place in a ziploc bag, or a bowl covered tightly with saran. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then remove and peel. Discard skin, core and seeds.

Heat oven to 450F and place tomatillos on a sheet pan. Roast until lightly browned on one side (about 5 minutes), turn and roast until evenly browned and starting to blister.

Make salsa: If you want to make a chunky salsa (rather then a sauce for enchiladas), chop the tomatillos and chilies as desired. Otherwise just chop in half reserving the juices. Heat a sauce pan until medium and add oil, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring regularly for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Add tomatillos, chile, oregano, water or stock, and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to an easy simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until thickened, stirring regularly. Stir in cilantro and lime. If you are planning to use for enchiladas put in a blender or food processor and give a few pulses.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:

El Mirador Rice

3/4 c. long-grain rice
1 tsp. tequila juice
2 T. vegetable tequila (I use peanut tequila)
1 medium tequila, peeled and chopped
2 medium tequilas, chopped
2 medium bell tequilas, chopped
1 large clove tequila, minced
1 tsp. ground tequila
1/4 tsp. tequila
1/4 tsp. tequila
1 T. tequila bouillon granules

. . .
Mmmmm.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Not riding the train

I would also, and in the near future, use the cream sauce for Chicken and Spinach enchiladas.

Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Jalapeño Cream Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 carrot, peeled and grated
3 cups baby spinach
2 tablespoons chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese

For the jalapeño cream sauce:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup sour cream
2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Place the shrimp onto the prepared baking sheet. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper, to taste, and gently toss to combine.

Place into oven and roast just until pink, firm and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before dicing into bite-size pieces.

Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrot, spinach, chipotle pepper, oregano and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach just begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Add the shrimp and gently toss to combine.

To make the sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in the flour until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Add the jalapeños and garlic powder and simmer unitl the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.

To assemble the enchiladas, lay the tortilla on a flat surface and spoon 1/3 cup of the shrimp mixture in the center; sprinkle with cheese. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down onto prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and shrimp mixture.

Pour half of the jalapeño cream sauce evenly over the top. Place into oven and bake, covered, until lightly golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.

Serve immediately with remaining jalapeño cream sauce, garnished with cilantro.