Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Current UPC article of faith and TV/theaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Is there anyone that will answer if it's dishonest or not to sign an agreement knowing you don't agree or will follow it?
are your intentions honorable?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is there anyone that will answer if it's dishonest or not to sign an agreement knowing you don't agree or will follow it?
This wasn't answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
how do you know anyone signed an agreement? did you ask them?
And as to the question, no, I won't answer because it's not my place.

You need to speak with your Pastor and take your concerns and accusations to him, as the Bible tells you to do.

I won't be party to calling your Pastor dishonest or a liar when I don't know him or the situation.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
No, they're not.

Affirming to teach something and not doing it... very honest.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Affirming to teach something and not doing it... very honest.
is that what is happening? it's never been made plain to me.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
No, they're not.

Explain how any UPCi preacher could sign a statement affirming that they are going to uphold certain principles and then defy the principles that they agreed to uphold and still be honest.

Any UPCi preacher that signs this affirmation statement and continues to have television in his home is absolutely a liar. I don't know Truthseeker's circumstance or motives, therefore my statement is a general statement about UPCi ministers, the AOF and the Affirmation statement.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Dishonest to not follow it!!! I am on the fence about dishonesty and 100% agreement. I signed an agreement once with Allstate to be a captive agent and to agree to not financially benefit from any form of competition. I knew when I signed the agreement I would continue selling policies with numerous other companies. So at the time of signing I was a liar! When Allstate found out they agreed that I was a liar ,my contract was terminated. If I had just simply disagreed with the contract but not violated it??
Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
Explain how any UPCi preacher could sign a statement affirming that they are going to uphold certain principles and then defy the principles that they agreed to uphold and still be honest.

Any UPCi preacher that signs this affirmation statement and continues to have television in his home is absolutely a liar. I don't know Truthseeker's circumstance or motives, therefore my statement is a general statement about UPCi ministers, the AOF and the Affirmation statement.
Thank you
Old 02-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post

I just asked my brother, who has been a licensed UPC minister and he says it's still a thing.

"I also believe and embrace the holiness standards of the United Pentecostal Church International as set forth in said articles of Faith, and I pledge to practice, preach, and teach the same."

In general, and again Truthseeker needs to follow scripture and talk with his Pastor or elders about his complaints, but in general a minister who signs this statement should personally abide by it.

Now, this signing statement is for the minister signing it, not the church. The Pastor cannot force people to abide by the AOF. But ethically speaking, in general, the minister who signs this statement should follow its instructions.

And just to stir the pot a bit: "disapprove" means to be against or not believe it. The UPC disapproves of/is against worldly amusements, tv, etc. At the end of the statement it includes that the UPC "admonishes to refrain" "in the interest of spiritual progress" and "soon coming." The former is lesser a requirement than the latter, but neither are an outright ban, IMO.

What also interests me in this is that the article on media acknowledges tv merging with devices commonly used (tablets, smart phones, etc) but only says "Christians must not accept their usage without evaluation of their impact on his or her spiritual walk with God."

Full text:
Historic guidelines regarding television and video were written in light of the technology of the 1950s and 1980s, demonstrating a common desire for the homes of our families to be sanctuaries governed by Godly principles. In today's world, we apply these guidelines as follows. We recognize that similar content is available through mediums such as computers, online media, media players, tablets, smart phones and game consoles. What we have traditionally called television is merging with other devices that are commonly used. Therefore in these cases and with all other communications technology, we teach responsible use that is strictly in accord with wholesome Christian principles. As new media appear in the marketplace, the Christian must not accept their usage without evaluation of their impact on his or her spiritual walk with God."
Old 02-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I just asked my brother, who has been a licensed UPC minister and he says it's still a thing.

"I also believe and embrace the holiness standards of the United Pentecostal Church International as set forth in said articles of Faith, and I pledge to practice, preach, and teach the same."

In general, and again Truthseeker needs to follow scripture and talk with his Pastor or elders about his complaints, but in general a minister who signs this statement should personally abide by it.

Now, this signing statement is for the minister signing it, not the church. The Pastor cannot force people to abide by the AOF. But ethically speaking, in general, the minister who signs this statement should follow its instructions.

And just to stir the pot a bit: "disapprove" means to be against or not believe it. The UPC disapproves of/is against worldly amusements, tv, etc. At the end of the statement it includes that the UPC "admonishes to refrain" "in the interest of spiritual progress" and "soon coming." The former is lesser a requirement than the latter, but neither are an outright ban, IMO.

What also interests me in this is that the article on media acknowledges tv merging with devices commonly used (tablets, smart phones, etc) but only says "Christians must not accept their usage without evaluation of their impact on his or her spiritual walk with God."

Full text:
Historic guidelines regarding television and video were written in light of the technology of the 1950s and 1980s, demonstrating a common desire for the homes of our families to be sanctuaries governed by Godly principles. In today's world, we apply these guidelines as follows. We recognize that similar content is available through mediums such as computers, online media, media players, tablets, smart phones and game consoles. What we have traditionally called television is merging with other devices that are commonly used. Therefore in these cases and with all other communications technology, we teach responsible use that is strictly in accord with wholesome Christian principles. As new media appear in the marketplace, the Christian must not accept their usage without evaluation of their impact on his or her spiritual walk with God."

They are to preach and teach it as well. Not just be a personal thing.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBandy View Post
Dishonest to not follow it!!! I am on the fence about dishonesty and 100% agreement. I signed an agreement once with Allstate to be a captive agent and to agree to not financially benefit from any form of competition. I knew when I signed the agreement I would continue selling policies with numerous other companies. So at the time of signing I was a liar! When Allstate found out they agreed that I was a liar ,my contract was terminated. If I had just simply disagreed with the contract but not violated it??
Did you apogize for lying to them?
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.