Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-15-2018, 02:50 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Eschatology

There was a thread recently that led me to think some may not know the main schools of eschatology, although these defintions are subject to debate. For instance, I know for sure that Bro Esaias would not entirely agree with the Wikipedia definition of Historicism.

Preterism
Preterism (from the Latin praeteritus, meaning "gone by") is an approach which sees prophecy as chiefly being fulfilled in the past, especially (in the case of the Book of Revelation) during the first century.[11] Prophecies in general, therefore, have already been fulfilled. In particular, many Preterists (whether they be Full Preterists or Partial Preterists) view The Book of Revelation as a text employing symbols in its communication of prophecy to the Early Church regarding the actors and events involved during the destruction of Jerusalem in the year 70 AD. Other Preterists consider the Book of Revelation to be a symbolic prophetic presentation of the struggle of Christianity to survive the persecutions of the Roman Empire. There are two major views within Preterism, that of Partial preterism (that many of the Bible's prophecies were fulfilled during the life and time of Jesus and the Early Church) and Full preterism, (that all of the Bible's prophecies were fulfilled during the life and time of Jesus and the Early Church). Preterist beliefs usually have a close association with Amillennialism, the belief that the Millennial reign of Christ began during the establishment of the Early Church. Preterists usually consider events such as the Great Tribulation as having occurred during the siege and destruction of Jerusalem from 66-70. Early Preterist theologians included Eusebius[12] and John Chrysostom.[13]

Historicism
Historicism is an approach which sees prophecy as being fulfilled in the past, present and future, including (in the case of the Book of Revelation) during the previous two millennia. In particular, many Historists view The Book of Revelation as a text employing symbols in its communication of prophecy to the Elect Church regarding the actors and events involved during the Great Controversy. Specifically, Historists consider the Book of Revelation to be a symbolic prophetic presentation of the struggle of Protestantism to survive the continuing persecutions of the Papacy. Historists usually consider events such as the Great Tribulation as having occurred during the period of absolute papal supremacy from 538-1798.
The subject of the Revelation to John the apostle was large and complex mostly covering the things which should happen thereafter. The vision covers the combined secular and ecclesiastical history of Christendom describing the grand political changes of the Roman world along with the ecclesiastical purity or corruptions of doctrine and general apostasy of the church and its persecutions of the saints which are the true people of God.[14]:100–101
According to E.B. Elliott, the first six seals of the book of Revelation outline the temporary prosperity of the Empire of heathen Rome followed by its decline and fall which covers the time period A.D. 96 – 396. The first seal, as revealed to John by the angel, was to signify what was to happen soon after John seeing the visions in Patmos and that the second, third and fourth seals in like manner were to have commencing dates each in chronological sequence following the preceding seal.

Futurism
In Futurism, parallels may be drawn with historical events, but most eschatological prophecies are chiefly referring to events which have not yet been fulfilled, but will take place at the end of the age and the end of the world. Most prophecies will be fulfilled during a global time of chaos known as the Great Tribulation and afterwards.[15] Futurist beliefs usually have a close association with Premillennialism and Dispensationalism. Futurist beliefs were presented in the Left Behind series.

Idealism
In Idealism, also known as "spiritual" or "nonliteral" approach, the Book of Revelation and other eschatological materials are interpreted symbolically. Different authors may interpret the judgements and resurrections on a more existential level, argue that the Beast and Babylon represent a variety of social injustices (including any corrupt or even all mortal governments), or view the recreation of the earth and the establishment of the kingdom of heaven as the general improvement of society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_eschatology
Old 06-15-2018, 02:54 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Eschatology

here is Bro Esaias thread on historicism, which is my favorite school of eschatology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
This is a thread for folks, whatever their eschatological position, to ask questions and point out what they perceive as problems or issues with the continuous historical understanding of prophecy. To avoid confusion, however, let's first establish what exactly the continuous historical approach actually is.
  • It is a methodology, rather than a single interpretation.
  • It asserts that history is controlled by Divine Providence, ie God is in control of the flow and eventual outcome of human history.
  • It asserts that God is never arbitrary, everything He does is for a reason that agrees with His Divine Wisdom.
  • It claims that as a consequence of the above, history follows a Divine Plan in the Will and Wisdom of God.
  • It further claims that God has revealed certain important elements of His Plan to His people through His prophets.
  • It claims as a consequence of the above that human history is the outworking of God's Sovereign Plan for mankind, and that the important elements of that Plan have been declared by His prophets in Scripture, and therefore Bible prophecy is human history foretold.
  • It recognizes that not every minor, or even major, detail of human events is prerecorded in prophecy.
  • It affirms that only enough information is revealed that God saw fit to reveal.
  • It asserts that prophecy is given to His Church, and is designed to inform His church of His Divine Plan.
  • It asserts that the Person and Work of Christ is the "point" of prophecy, and therefore the people whom He has redeemed are at the center of prophecy, rather than random nations and events.
  • It recognizes the Bible itself indicates a continuous historical fulfillment of prophecy, and affirms that did not change in AD70 or 1948 or any other time.
  • It therefore affirms that prophecy is directly relevant to all God's people whenever they have lived or are living or will live, and that God's people are always somewhere "within" the outline of prophecy, rather than outside of it.
http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ad.php?t=51227
Old 06-15-2018, 02:57 AM
Covenant Apostolic

also there are various beliefs regarding millennialism. I'm leaning towards being amillennial. The next event would be the second coming, final judgement, new heaven/earth.

Last edited by Amanah; 06-15-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
also there are various beliefs regarding millennialism. I'm leaning towards being amillennial. The next event would be the second coming, final judgement, new heaven/earth.

I havent spent much time over the years looking into this but I believe Post trib / Pre wrath rapture.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
I havent spent much time over the years looking into this but I believe Post trib / Pre wrath rapture.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

I believe all of them are wrong, with a little truth in all of them. You arent going to put God in a box, and predict Him as the weather.

Because a lot of prophecy they say is to come has already happened. Though to say the end of the world came and went, and the coming of the Lord came and went, non sense.

But tribulation we are already in. And the greatest tribulation that has ever come upon this earth. I see the great fallin falling away as happened when the Apostles were killed off and they invented the trinity and started following the neo platonic thought of the church father's. That was a great falling away because until the 1900'sonly small cells of people were teaching the truth and followed the wrong plan of salvation so they all went to hell. Thats a great falling away. I see the man of sin as revealed from the day there became a office of papacy.

All im saying is these eschatology labels are all wrong, because the focal reference points are not a science, they are only in the mind of God. So I agree on some things in a of them but not all of any of them. But like is said the greatest deception ever is a lie with just enough truth to make it considerable. All im saying I believe His return is imminent just as the Apostles preached that He could come in their lifetime. I believe we should be ready, and turn our ear away from any ministry they so called specializes in eschatology. Because its a ministry given to tickle the ear, and it gets you off focus of Gods real purpose for our walk. Stay full of the Holy Ghost, stay prayerful, and stay ready because His return is imminent that is my eschatology view.

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

The bible speaks of no such thing as "the great tribulation" for the future. First, it doesn't say "the great tribulation " and second, it happened already just as Jesus said it would.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.

Last edited by Truthseeker; 06-15-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:39 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

...AS Jesus said it would!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
...AS Jesus said it would!

What are you talking about?
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
What are you talking about?
I was agreeing with you.