Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Jesus is the Christ

Re: Highly Recommend

Let me also say that this Forum is quite enjoyable. When I first signed up I thought it would be over trodden with burdensome debates, but I find it quite interesting.
If ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:24

Mone me, amabo te, si erro

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Kevin J. Conner The Name of God p. 92
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_PoMo View Post
Thanks Dave. I appreciate the recommendations.

Can you recommend an article or paper or book that breaks down Arminianism, exposing its weaknesses from a Calvinist perspective?

Thanks.
Here's a site that will give you more than you ever wanted to know....

http://www.apuritansmind.com/Arminia...rminianism.htm

- Groucho Marx
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 AM
^ = A_Post-Modern

Thanks Dave. I like the opening statement, "The system of doctrine known as Arminianism is heresy. It is an offshoot from Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism. It has been adversely affecting the church and its doctrine for over 250 years. Men like Finney and Wesley, being the charismatic personalities they were, propagated the doctrine and resurrected the Pelagian error from the pit of hell once again to persecute the church of Christ."

Now THATS warm and fuzzy! haha.

B: I assume that he is since he's Reformed, but I'm in seminary and just trying to wrestle with all the various points of view so that some day I can come on here and slam dunk Dave. hahaha. Just kidding Dave! Seriously though, I'm in seminary and working through these issues and trying to become conversant about them and trying to build a good library.

To give equal time, I'm also trying to put together a list of the best 15-20 books on the Oneness. The best of the old stuff and the best of the latest and greatest from the current smart ones. Anybody care to recommend some for me?
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave. I like the opening statement, "The system of doctrine known as Arminianism is heresy. It is an offshoot from Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism. It has been adversely affecting the church and its doctrine for over 250 years. Men like Finney and Wesley, being the charismatic personalities they were, propagated the doctrine and resurrected the Pelagian error from the pit of hell once again to persecute the church of Christ."

B: I assume that he is since he's Reformed, but I'm in seminary and just trying to wrestle with all the various points of view so that some day I can come on here and slam dunk Dave. hahaha. Just kidding Dave! Seriously though, I'm in seminary and working through these issues and trying to become conversant about them and trying to build a good library.

To give equal time, I'm also trying to put together a list of the best 15-20 books on the Oneness. The best of the old stuff and the best of the latest and greatest from the current smart ones. Anybody care to recommend some for me?
I don't agree with everything on that site and many times it's 'tone' but it does have a lot of material.

As far as OP stuff try to get Frank Ewarts' material.

- Groucho Marx
Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Jesus is the Christ

Quote:

Kenneth Reeves has some good stuff. Although he doesn't get enough attention towards his works. However, you cannot just read one of his books. In order to understand his perspective on the Godhead you must read all of them. They are quite short and they don't contain too much jargon. I have yet to find a trnitarian who read his work and said "wow I need to reevaluate the Godhead."

No real problem exists over the use of "The Name" in everthing else done in the Church. Why then should there exist great controversy over the use of the "The Name of the Godhead" in water baptism?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

POMO,

There is a presentation on Reclaiming the Mind Ministries called "Conversing with the Scholars". Two DTS grads run the site and interview different Christian authors on Paltalk and archive the interviews. Check out Arminianism with Roger Olson and Calvinism with Sam Storms.

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/cws/home
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
^ = A_Post-Modern

thanks mizpeh, I bookmarked the link and will check it out.
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert E. Coleman. Coleman is a Methodist minister and the book's first printing was 1963. It will revolutionize your view of evangelism. I have read it at least four times and taught a series from it three times over the last 15 years.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Jesus is the Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbass View Post
The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert E. Coleman. Coleman is a Methodist minister and the book's first printing was 1963. It will revolutionize your view of evangelism. I have read it at least four times and taught a series from it three times over the last 15 years.
I think I have this book, but I have never gotten around to reading it. You have encouraged me to read it now. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 PM
^ = A_Post-Modern

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkstokes View Post
I think I have this book, but I have never gotten around to reading it. You have encouraged me to read it now. Thank you.
I read it last year for a leadership class. Good book. Alot of that stuff is coming into vogue again. Thank God.