Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Pure religion

I've been thinking about this verse a lot lately. How do you apply this in your own life?

James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Re: Pure religion

In a busy and complicated world James has made it simple. I meditate on this scripture often. [ and ... try to put it into practice in my own life. ]

Raven
Old 02-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
I've been thinking about this verse a lot lately. How do you apply this in your own life?

James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
Walk is more important than talk.
Doing is more important than Doctrine.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
the ultracon

I visit widows in their affliction on a regualr basis. Just drove 6 hours one way to visit a prisoner.

We are commanded to do these things. How do we justify ourselves if we don't ?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

I don't mean this facetiously, I really don't...

If you don't happen to personally know any 'afflicted widows', how do you find them? Or is that just generally speaking? Is it just overall trying to do good unto others, and help anyone in need?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:

If you don't happen to personally know any 'afflicted widows', how do you find them? Or is that just generally speaking? Is it just overall trying to do good unto others, and help anyone in need?
Nursing homes would be a good place to start.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:

Are you going with widow as a woman who's husband has died and left her alone? Or, are you willing to include women who've been left alone by their former husbands to now raise their children alone or get on their feet alone?

I just can't imagine now knowing a few (dozen!) of these people. They're everywhere.

It's not too hard to find kids who don't understand why one (or both) of their parents are unavailable either. I know mine really struggle with why daddy isn't around, why daddy doesn't call, and why daddy makes promises he absolutely never keeps. They also struggle with why I'm working full time, going to school full time, and babysitting almost every other possible waking moment.

Ideas of where to look? Find out if your local college or university has a student success program, or a student support program. These target single parent students (and other high risk for drop out students). Get involved with the big brother, big sister program. Call some local pastors. As many times as I've randomly called churches looking for help, I'm sure they may know of someone in the community who could use a hug at the very least. Find out about volunteering with the local Salvation Army shelter. Or some other women's shelter. They're always desperate for help it seems.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Renewed

Lets not forget an underlying point to this. The visiting of widows and orphans in affliction also keeps us grounded, undefiled before God would be in complete humility. There is nothing more humbling than to spend a day with the afflicted.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Lets not forget an underlying point to this. The visiting of widows and orphans in affliction also keeps us grounded, undefiled before God would be in complete humility. There is nothing more humbling than to spend a day with the afflicted.
No doubt! I am working towards having more time to volunteer again. I miss being able to see someone's eyes light up with a hope they've never had before. Something like that can't be described, it can only be experienced.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 02-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Just about any church has men and women whose spouses have died or split up with them. We usually have single parents for whatever reason. These folks need our support and love.